Sign in to follow this  
AbdoTheEagle

FIXED: Download problem after 7-Nov-2015

Due to the large number of users having problems downloading since the server maintenance on November 7th, I'm starting this topic so that it would be a central place to gather all info and discuss the possible solutions. I will keep editing this topic whenever a relevant piece of info pops up.

For now there is only 1 verified problem:

• Users using Internet Explorer (version 10 and 11) are unable to download files at all (Error: Page cannot be displayed).

So for now, users with IE, please use another web browser and if you have trouble with other browsers please refer to the paragraph below on Firefox and Chrome. Sorry for that.

Regarding other web browsers:

• Regarding Microsoft Edge, we have had very few complaints about Edge but all of them are almost identical to the IE problem with "Page cannot be displayed error". I'd appreciate if users who have Windows 10 can try downloading via Edge and report the results so as to confirm whither the problem persists or not.

• Regarding Firefox and Chrome, these 2 browsers seem to work for some users and don't work for others. Users having trouble with any of them, please try the following:
    • If you are using and download accelerator/manager programs, disable them and try downloading using the browser's default download manager and report the results and any error messages you receive along with the browser's version number.
    • If you are having problems with the default download manager, try using the InPrivate/Incognito mode to download and report the results.

Note: Do NOT use Safari while trying to download files, Safari is known to cause problems with Library. This issue has been around for a long time and is not related to the recent server maintenance. The problem with Safari is related to how the browser reads ZIP files and is not related to the AVSIM Library, it also affects Safari users trying to download ZIP files regardless of the file source.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT AT 11-NOV 16:31z:
Our IT chaps have made some changes and download are working normally during our tests, please try downloading again now and report your results.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT AT 17-NOV 21:16z
Problem confirmed to be fixed on all browsers, also the problem with CAN Mesh X files has been fixed.
This thread will now be closed as it has served its original purpose.

Edited by AbdoTheEagle
Problem confirmed to be fixed, thread will be closed.

Why not use a download manager?  I've had nothing but good luck with that.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I just tried both methods in Chrome.  Normal download = This webpage is not available (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET).     Incognito mode = No Data Received (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)

I just tried both methods in Chrome.  Normal download = This webpage is not available (ERR_CONNECTION_RESET).     Incognito mode = No Data Received (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE)

Same result here

Sheldon

I've tried everything with all browsers, I can look at the library see all the info of the file but when it comes to downloading FORGET it. The ball is now in the programmer's court don't fumble!! 

Tried Firefox in both non-private and private tab after logout/login.  Also tried Chrome and IE. None work.

No error messages or anything. the page/connection just keeps loading/try to connect to the ftp server.

Same here,

Tried IE8 (not 10 or 11) which has always worked for me, as well as Firefox and Chrome.  All of them came up with "Page Cannot Be Displayed".  Using Win7 Pro.

Randy

Same problems as above

Using Firefox ver 42.0 when click on download, the page stops on connecting "Begining FTP transaction"

Thanks for all your replies, hopefully our IT chaps will use the available info to troubleshoot the problem.

Why not use a download manager?  I've had nothing but good luck with that.

-Jim

Not all users are lucky like you, I for instance have been unable download from the Library for months using FDM (my usual download manager) but I'm able to download normally using the Chrome default manager, which is still working to this moment! My request is based on the concept of "fault isolation" where we try to minimize the variables affecting the problem to narrow down its causes.

To further explain: if a user who uses a download manager has a problem, the problem could be caused by the server, the browser or the download manager (assuming his ISP, router/modem and firewall are working as they should). But if the same users faces the same problem while not using the download manager, we can narrow down the possible causes to 2 things only, the server and the browser.

Firefox 42.0 works in both normal and private modes.

Internet Explore 11 fails with "Page Can't be Displayed" message.

GetRight fails and reports filez.avsim.net server connected... but continuously busy and not responding..

For this error, check out the following link:  http://appuals.com/best-fix-err_connection_reset/

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I get the Page can't be displayed with IE11 and MSFT Edge using Windows 10. I was able to download using Google Chrome.

Jim:

I followed instructions you mentioned above.   Result is that Chrome tries to connect and just stays there and spins.