Sign in to follow this  
CT5

Learjet 35 autopilot help

I cant tell if its something im just missing or if its something thats wrong.

I am having a hard time mainly with the autopilot in regards to vertical navigation. my biggest issue is using VS option. When i select that mode on the autopilot nothing happens, there doesnt seem to be a default FPM setting when engaged and where do i adjust FPM? 

thank you for any helpful responses. I am a fan of flysimware and not bashing the work they have done here, im just looking for help

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I cant tell if its something im just missing or if its something thats wrong.

I am having a hard time mainly with the autopilot in regards to vertical navigation. my biggest issue is using VS option. When i select that mode on the autopilot nothing happens, there doesnt seem to be a default FPM setting when engaged and where do i adjust FPM? 

thank you for any helpful responses. I am a fan of flysimware and not bashing the work they have done here, im just looking for help

This is correct behaviour for the aircraft.   Very few autopilots in real aircraft have a default VS that instigates as soon as altitude is changed, or VS mode selected (this is a sim 'convenience', I guess).

To adjust VS, you use the pitch wheel on the main AP controller (behind the radios on the pedestal if memory serves and I'm not confusing it with the MU-2!).    The default FSUIPC key commands for AP_VS_VAR_DEC and AP_VS_VAR_INC also work.  Cheers.

Remember this autopilot is a bit different (i.e. "older" = "less functional") than the newer models and what you get on most FSX aircraft (most of which are incorrect anyway). In this one, per the Autopilot section of the supplied manual, the V/S mode holds the vertical speed you are doing at the time you engage it. Thus, if you are doing 2500 fpm when you select the button, that is what it will hold. You are actually better off using the IAS mode on climb out (which will do the same thing - hold the current IAS) once you get to 250 kts below 10,000, then deselect the IAS mode after passing 10,000 and pitching down until you get your cruise-climb speed. Once you have that, then re-select the IAS mode and let it hold that until you get to altitude.

Hope that helps.

Remember that before you select any vertical mode in the autopilot first you have to arm altitude, in that order or will not engage the vertical mode.

I can't find the trim wheel for the AP to adjust the v/s.  Anybody who knows where it is post a picture?

I haven't found the IAS hold mode to be too good at keeping it at what I selected. I got the v/s mode to work that way yesterday but today for some reason I tried doing it that way again and it just kept going to 4500fpm regardless of the rate I engaged it at...

1. VS and IAS need the ALT/SEL mode on.

2. VS holds the pitch based on your attitude at the time you engage it. 

3. IAS mode will also hold pitch based of the attitude at the time you engage but if you do not set the thrust lever power to maintain the pitch then the pitch is going to lower or raise to maintain the indicated speed at the time you engaged. So if you pitch up add some power to make sure it maintains speed then select IAS hold. You can also adjust the thrust lever to get the desired pitch if IAS is already engaged.