Sign in to follow this  
tull

God........X Plane is so ahead of its time and sooooo much better than the rest

I've been bouncing back and forth between wanting to buy Xplane and not for years. Recently, I downloaded the demo and actually took the time to set it up right and try some freeware add-ons, and more than ever I'm really burning to actually buy this sim once and for all. Those atmospheric effects after playing with the Dataref Art controls are SO realistic! If there was some way to use my hat switch the same way I can in P3D/FSX, I'd be sold instantly. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do this yet. 

So far I have never seen an XP winter in Canada, its always summer. LOL  

But The future looks promising with the upcoming Dovetail FS (possibly), AeroFly 2 https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/  , and NGFS http://nexgenflightsim.com/ --- all three of these are likely to surpass XP easy.

True but you can have winter by replacing the textures. I know its a lot of work.

Also recently(talking about since 10.40 went final) xplane has allowed different textures to be loaded while the sim is running. I would say different seasons in xplane will be here by the mid 2016. most likely it be pay ware but lets see

Some of the shots do look fantastic, but like @pracines, the lack of seasonal texture variation does put me off.     Never say never though!    I had XP6 I think it was :smile:

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I've been bouncing back and forth between wanting to buy Xplane and not for years. Recently, I downloaded the demo and actually took the time to set it up right and try some freeware add-ons, and more than ever I'm really burning to actually buy this sim once and for all. Those atmospheric effects after playing with the Dataref Art controls are SO realistic! If there was some way to use my hat switch the same way I can in P3D/FSX, I'd be sold instantly. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do this yet. 

There is a hat switch plugin for this purpose. I have it and my hat switch works the same as in FSX/P3D, just a bit slower.

Hans

So far I have never seen an XP winter in Canada, its always summer. LOL  

But The future looks promising with the upcoming Dovetail FS (possibly), AeroFly 2 https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/  , and NGFS http://nexgenflightsim.com/ --- all three of these are likely to surpass XP easy.

Your reply would be far more appropriate in the sub forums you seem to favor. A new sim will take years for it to mature and you can forget about decent payware for a good long time. Having no seasons does not bother me in the least.

• Upvote 4

I suspect X-Plane is a great simulator and I'm glad the current market has 3 great ones to choose from, but I feel a little more comfortable with a company like LM behind the development of P3D, that is were I'm putting my money......But the choice of flight sims is a very subjective opinion, there all starting to look the same to me with all the addons being developed for the 3 platforms.

• Upvote 1

I use a plug in called X-Camera, I use the hat switch and can program many views with it, and it is donation-ware

• Upvote 1

I suspect X-Plane is a great simulator and I'm glad the current market has 3 great ones to choose from, but I feel a little more comfortable with a company like LM behind the development of P3D, that is were I'm putting my money......But the choice of flight sims is a very subjective opinion, there all starting to look the same to me with all the addons being developed for the 3 platforms.

I can certainly agree with you here Martin. That's the whole premise of the Avsim sub forums. Each one caters to one's preferences, which is a good thing and I might add, a privilege.

Trees trees trees..

I love X-Plane for everything it is... except for those ugly trees.

When X-Plane gets FSX style trees, then it will truly be king.  But for something so important to terrain realism, I cannot understand the lack of resources being put into realistic trees.

Ironically however, I think P3D V3 has actually brought more people to X-Plane.  The thought is, verison 3, basically a few bug fixes and some extra FPS.. and a dude you can walk around??? That's it, and it took a whole version update and that's it?

So it appears P3D is showing FSX's age.  This is the time for X-Plane to take the helm and begin to address these little issues that have turned people off.. specifically... trees.

Lets face it, every current platform has something worthwhile and unique to bring to the table.  And every platform has it's shortcomings.  No reason to pick a winner, or declare that one is better than all the others.  Use 'em all, fly 'em all. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I know what your saying guys, I'm a big fsx fan but it's leaving me now, I'm finding myself flying X plane more and more, it's just so more immersive, especially when you land, it fires my belly up! I love pmdg, been with them from day one, love em, but fsx is fading now, the future is X plane, without a shadow of a doubt.

Well then, with respect, enjoy...how you define your interactions with the hobby.  Nobody else's business!

Enjoy XPX.41 immersion  :)))

Mitch

Thanks for the clean posts. Looks great.

You're welcome...perhaps I have shown enough with data refs, that everybody will already know what my system spec's can put out...so...I'll punch them out clean...as I agree with you...they look better, and more into the mood theme.  I have always enjoyed though, the how's and why's behind a screenshot...as you can appreciate the poster's hardware, and perhaps get a next-buy lead on what can give you the same FPS/scene complexity results, in a system component upgrade.

Cheers,

Mitch

You can assign left, right, up, and down to the hat switch in the basic buttons section by assigning to the appropriate (I think - not at my FS computer now) "scroll left, right, up, down button.  There is an option for "fast" or "regular" scroll somewhere in the far right upper section of the options.  That takes care of probably 90% of what you do with the hat switch anyway.

I use TrackIR so I have not used that for some time, using it instead to select views with x-camera.

John

John Wingold

Great

I still run all three sims - XP10 for night looks the best of all, P3D typically for daytime and when I need my GTN fix, and FSX for my legacy products like bay tower RV7 with rxp gns , f1 King air and mustang

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |