Sign in to follow this  
tull

God........X Plane is so ahead of its time and sooooo much better than the rest

I still say..............that when a system develops high super smooth and fluid frame rates for both FSX and X-Plane, that the planes feel much more the same, than not.

True enough, except that my experience has been that XP does a better job of imparting a smooth, fluid feel, even at equal frame rates.  I thought that I had FSX tuned to a point where it was perfectly smooth, and I've easily surpassed that with XP.

I would also say that this is primarily true in low level flight; at high level, or with no visibility of the scenery, I would say the impression of smoother flight disappears to a large extent.

My theory is that it has something to do with scenery rendering and depiction. Which makes sense to me, since our view outside the cockpit is our primary impression of movement in a desktop sim.  But it may have something to do with the fact that the flight model sampling in XP is separate and faster than the scenery depiction.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

But it may have something to do with the fact that the flight model sampling in XP is separate and faster than the scenery depiction.

It can be...and I like the fact that in XP, you can adjust the flight model sampling to your system demands and needs...a total user adjustment in the menu's.

Meh. That post is more than a year old but we can hope I guess. And I don't think X-Plane 11 is coming anytime soon. There is still SO much untapped potential in X-Plane 10 rendering engine left. We are barely scratching the surface. Big companies like PMDG are still learning X-Plane 10 since they are starting with DC-6 as a product. So looking at all of this, X-Plane 11 is atleast 2 or 3 years away.

Why "meh" ?

watch at ~49:15

Xplane should do that in the modern way , real reflections and materials behavior , and not fake like FSX/P3D.

This is what modern games are using today , it'll be amazing in Xplane (maybe 11?) 

I can never get tired of this view :)

a330_29_zpsfbv6vxso.png

a330_30_zpstwigq9pc.png

a330_28_zpsh65doyqs.png

Looks like it's time to retire my FSX DX10 installation !

Richard

• Upvote 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Great shots!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I can never get tired of this view :)

{snip}

Richard

The crisp mountains are pure heaven when flying GA.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

It's also how the wheels touch the runway when touching down. In x-plane it's way more detailed, in fsx the wheels can still be a few inches in the air and you will see the tire smoke. Some developers made it look better in fsx like the QW Avroliner and Ifly 737. But Aerosofts great baby bus doesn't look so good on touch down.

Watched a ton of XPlane videos now and still cannot see anything super special which would put it ahead of P3D.

Maybe you guys know some good videos showing the upsides of XPlane.

Watched a ton of XPlane videos now and still cannot see anything super special which would put it ahead of P3D.

Maybe you guys know some good videos showing the upsides of XPlane.

You have to give it a try and really spend the time with XP and learn how to get the best out of it. No video is going to show you this.

A few weeks ago I decided to give P3D a spin again and downloaded v3 and some of my compatible ORBX stuff (e.g. PNW). I think P3D has the advantage that it has lots of developers behind it (Well, mostly FSX developers), because the actual simulator out-of-the-box really isn't that good. Head-to-head ,out-of-the box XP is a clear winner for me

In terms of why I think you get more from X-Plane:

• 64-Bit support. No OOM errors.
  • Lots of tools and freeware available to easily beat lots of commercial offerings in P3D. e.g. HD Mesh v3, Ortho4XP, W2XP, etc.. You have to put in the effort in XP to learn what is available, but all of it can be done without spending a penny (but it's always nice to donate)
  • In my opinion, much nicer lighting and more realistic looking
  • Regular free updates, e.g. We've had 64-Bit, a new GPS and many many other features and bug fixes as part of the XP10 run for free. These features would likely be paid upgrades in P3D.
  • The simulator is marketed to us simmers and not military contracts, etc.. Nobody really knows where LM will take P3D. This might not bother some, but as a developer it means I don't really want to spend time developing solely for P3D
  • The community and developers working together to improve the simulator
  • Runs on Mac OS X and Linux
  • Flying over somewhere like Norway or the UK using the "free tools" above compared to the commercial offerings in P3D. This is something you need to try and judge for yourself. 

To balance things out, these are the bad things:

• For GA pilots, a lack of decent payware quality small GA airfields. Most developers do the large airports
  • Nothing comparable to PMDG yet. However IXEG is about to release their 737 (and it looks incredible) and PMDG will also have their first product out soon. I expect more and more devs to follow
  • No A2A aircraft. Yes I very much miss these, but there are alternatives popping up, e.g. Airfoils
  • P3D/FSX has more users, so it's more attractive to develop for if you want to make money.
  • Awful default ATC.
  • Weather engines. There are some out, but nothing which I can run easily on Mac OS X. P3D supports more complex weather
  • Upvote 4

You have to give it a try and really spend the time with XP and learn how to get the best out of it. No video is going to show you this.

A few weeks ago I decided to give P3D a spin again and downloaded v3 and some of my compatible ORBX stuff (e.g. PNW). I think P3D has the advantage that it has lots of developers behind it (Well, mostly FSX developers), because the actual simulator out-of-the-box really isn't that good. Head-to-head ,out-of-the box XP is a clear winner for me

In terms of why I think you get more from X-Plane:

• 64-Bit support. No OOM errors.
  • Lots of tools and freeware available to easily beat lots of commercial offerings in P3D. e.g. HD Mesh v3, Ortho4XP, W2XP, etc.. You have to put in the effort in XP to learn what is available, but all of it can be done without spending a penny (but it's always nice to donate)
  • In my opinion, much nicer lighting and more realistic looking
  • Regular free updates, e.g. We've had 64-Bit, a new GPS and many many other features and bug fixes as part of the XP10 run for free. These features would likely be paid upgrades in P3D.
  • The simulator is marketed to us simmers and not military contracts, etc.. Nobody really knows where LM will take P3D. This might not bother some, but as a developer it means I don't really want to spend time developing solely for P3D
  • The community and developers working together to improve the simulator
  • Runs on Mac OS X and Linux
  • Flying over somewhere like Norway or the UK using the "free tools" above compared to the commercial offerings in P3D. This is something you need to try and judge for yourself. 

To balance things out, these are the bad things:

• For GA pilots, a lack of decent payware quality small GA airfields. Most developers do the large airports
  • Nothing comparable to PMDG yet. However IXEG is about to release their 737 (and it looks incredible) and PMDG will also have their first product out soon. I expect more and more devs to follow
  • No A2A aircraft. Yes I very much miss these, but there are alternatives popping up, e.g. Airfoils
  • P3D/FSX has more users, so it's more attractive to develop for if you want to make money.
  • Awful default ATC.
  • Weather engines. There are some out, but nothing which I can run easily on Mac OS X. P3D supports more complex weather

Couldn't think of a better way to describe it Tony :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks for the big list  :smile:

As I really do like PMDG aircrafts and do not experience the OOM troubles since P3Dv3 I think I will wait till there are more good airliners for XP10 and then give it a shot!

You forgot , real full screen , no blurries, RAM dependant , lots more wow moments , not to worries about OOMS   priceless ....

• Upvote 1

You forgot , real full screen , no blurries, RAM dependant , lots more wow moments , not to worries about OOMS   priceless ....

"Real Full screen"? What in P3d is not "Real full screen"?

OOM is not an issue any longer so I do not count that as a real advantage.

What kind of "wow moments" do you get? Can you be a bit more specific here?

The bad ATC is also not what I want. Even though the P3D ATC is not the best, it is doing its' standard job. Also with AI Traffic. As I understand AI traffic is also not very good with XP10, right?

"Real Full screen"? What in P3d is not "Real full screen"?

P3D does not have a real full screen mode, it runs in a stretched window