Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Initial observations: PMDG + FSX SE on Windows 10

I cleaned my drives and installed Windows 10, replaced FSX with FSX SE, and reinstalled my 737 and 777.  The only other add-on I'm using is ASN. 

I can confidently say that frames, smoothness, and stability are much better and that I've had no CTDs or fatal errors after a handful of short and long flights. 

My system is 5-yrs-old (i7-2700L CPU @3.50GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX580) and feels like new with this new configuration.  The lowest FPS I've seen are in the mid 20's on the denser areas.  I'm also running DX10 preview with all sliders maxed.  I still need to reinstall lots of scenery add-ons, but have seen this performance with Latin VFR's KMIA and Paulo Ricardo's Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.

Just wanted to share this with anyone thinking about transitioning. 

I'm also close to taking the P3D plunge, but I'm enjoying things as they are right now.

Cheers!

Luis

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thanks for the info. I'm going to switch to Steam soon so I'm glad it seems worth it

Yep, it's more stable and smoother :-)

Should you have a powerful graphics card with DX10, and will be interested in getting nice effects, like shadows ( no cloud shadows though ), Steve's DX10 fixer would be a great addition...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I also own Steve's DX10 Fixer.  Just haven't tried it on Steam yet.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the FSX SE team continues to update the platform

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Are you guys updating to Windows 10 from 8.1 or from 7? As I still run Win7 and I quite like it. Would it be worth the change to Win10?

I did a clean installation. First with 10240 compilation and now with 10586. Both versions have worked perfectly.

Best.

Miquel Egea.

Are you guys updating to Windows 10 from 8.1 or from 7? As I still run Win7 and I quite like it. Would it be worth the change to Win10?

I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I fully removed FSX and all its other paths and did a clean install on FSX SE.  FSX was not working well with Windows 10, but Steam Edition has been flawless so far.

LUIS LINARES

All good news!  Keep getting those pesky upgrade reminders for Windows 10 but I have been ignoring because I'm afraid to make the switch and screw up my FSX.

Going to do it today!

I was using Windows 8.1/FSX-SE and "Updated" to Windows 10 without a bit of difficulty. No more Joystick failures, no OOM's or CTD's. I have flown multiple 16-18 hour flights with my PMDG 777 and experience VAS usage of between 2.8 gig to 3.2 gig. Frame rates 26-32. Very pleased!!! What's not to like.

Interesting, but I will remain cautious until more reports come in.  In the past, PMDG has indicated that Win 7 was preferred over either Win 8 or WIn 10, or at least failed to offer any assurances that it will work satisfactorily.  It would be interesting to hear if their own perspective has changed at all, at least in regard to FSX SE.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Neither is L-M recommending anything but Win 7 yet for P3D. For that matter, until Intuit recommends Win 10 for Quicken I'm not jeopardizing my bookkeeping. If history has lessons, it is a good idea to wait for at least the first service update.

Dan Downs KCRP

If this is any confirmation, I've just completed a SYD-LHR run in the 77L over 21 hours as a stability test. No OOM warnings and smooth from block out to block in, with no abnormalities observed.

Setup is recent Win 10 upgrade from Win 7, FSX-SE on DX9 with PMDG 777 and a few other aircraft addons along with ASN, and no scenery or texture addons yet, running on 3-year old i7-3632QM/2.9GHz with recently upgraded 16GB of RAM and GT640M with 2GB of GDDR3 VRAM. Settings are one left of max for most sliders, except autogen and global texture resolution, which are on maximum, and weather sliders, which are on ASN-recommended settings, and antialiasing which is set to 8xSQ in NI. Framerate is limited via NI to 30, with no 1/2 sync due to intervening integrated graphic on laptop setup where Vsync settings in NI seemed to have no observable effect. FPS is 20-30 during cruise depending on cloud cover, 20-28 at low altitude around terminal areas with complex stock scenery like SFO in fair weather, and about 15 on stand in LHR with two layers of ASN overcast and limited visibility.

FSX-SE seemed to give better FPS overall and work well without any tweak, especially with large amount of autogen. And Win 10 seemed to have no impact overall, except for crash on quit or aircraft switch for certain other non-PMDG addons, at least with my setup. Still, I wonder what performance I would have if I installed REX4 back in, or tried any scenery addons.

I have installed FSX Delux edition on my laptop with Windows 10 and it works fine. The only thing that does not work is the PMDG Livery manager. As soon as I try to install a livery is shuts down. Any solution to this? I found the answer. Run it as administrator. Sorry for the post.

The only problem remained is that every time I load an PMDG aircraft I must enter the registration key.

Stelios

Stelios Christofides

Neither is L-M recommending anything but Win 7 yet for P3D. For that matter, until Intuit recommends Win 10 for Quicken I'm not jeopardizing my bookkeeping. If history has lessons, it is a good idea to wait for at least the first service update.

First service pack was about 4 days ago. No issues

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.