Sign in to follow this  
Staffan

So I took the plunge and started to repaint the PA-31

Hi,

Here is the result of countless hours and hours of trial and error, since Carenado refuse to issue any paintkit.

I am doing three factory liveries, and this is the first one. A yellow and red is also worked on.

The only thing I am unable to do are the two arrows on each side of the enginecovers, since the mapping is very cruel, and impossible to
get even close to an acceptable result. So, I don´t know if I am releasing without the engine arrows, or if someone is willing to give it a try? :wink:

The livery is still work in progress. B)

nav1.jpg

nav2.jpg

Staffan

Looks nice.  Repainting Carenado's more recent releases is an exercise in frustration.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks.

I agree. The texture mapping is a true torture. :Cry:

Staffan

Outstanding job, especially considering the horrible mapping. Nice work!

Would also like to see a US registration if you're so inclined.

Staffen you got where I got on mine...The nacelle's are brutal!... If you need some one to look at what you have done, I would love to have it...

Thanks guys. :smile:

I am currently on hold with the engine arrows, (got fedup). I am not sure if I will release the liveries

without a complete classic factory set. Time will tell after I give it a try again. :wink:

Staffan

Guest BeaverDriver

I emailed Carenado and Alabeo and told them I wasn't buying anymore of their airplanes until they made them paintable. Their response was: 

Oh well. Nice job on that. I believe you're already into "miracle territory" with that one.

Guest BeaverDriver

Thanks guys. :smile:

I am currently on hold with the engine arrows, (got fedup). I am not sure if I will release the liveries

without a complete classic factory set. Time will tell after I give it a try again. :wink:

Staffan, this is a great job. One way you might justify releasing this without the nacelles being done is that many retractables have had belly landings at one time or another. This is an older airplane and the chances of it having been bellied on is reasonable. Now if it was a case where the gear maybe wasn't locked and it collapsed once the weight got on the gear on landing, then the props would still have been turning when they hit the ground. That would write off the engine. As well, the impact would probably severely damage the nacelles. The belly just gets scraped and is usually just reformed (if necessary) and repainted. The bottom line is the engines and nacelles end up getting replaced while the fuselage doesn't. If the outfit that owned the plane when it was bellied in wasn't in the "wealthy" category, then he may well have found an old, unpainted set of nacelles and stuck them on rather than having them painted up to match the airplane. It is very common in more remote regions to see the fuselage painted up in the original colours while the nacelles (one or both) are blank or even of a different design. So please consider releasing this even if you can't get the nacelles. Your work deserves to be out there.

Oh, and Carenado? I know you can't be bothered reading your own forums (mainly because you don't give a rat's behind about your customers - only about raking in the money for the least amount of work done), but get off your effing butts and start having a little respect for the people that are paying your salaries. This is out and out laziness and selfishness on your part that you release aircraft that are not even remotely repaintable. The work done here is nothing short of a miracle. I know because I've painted many airplanes, but I don't even try with yours anymore, thus the reason I'm not buying any more of your aircraft until you start treating us a whole lot better. We'll save your lousy systems programming for another thread.

Glenn

Beautiful job! I KNOW it is tough to impossible to do a paint from scratch on their products. I have been looking for just that paint scheme, only in red as you stated. Again, very nice work.

Don

Beautiful job! I KNOW it is tough to impossible to do a paint from scratch on their products. I have been looking for just that paint scheme, only in red as you stated. Again, very nice work.

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks. Do you have a US reg for the red livery? I can not find any on Airliners.net

• Upvote 1

Staffan

You would think, wouldn't you, that drawing a straight line from nose to tail would be simple? Not if it requires four separate elements all of which are at different angles! I'm doing, at the moment, a simple livery for the F406. "I'll just knock this one out" I thought....

Ha! Still it keeps the little grey cells working eh? :smile:

Good job so far. Don't let it beat you.

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

You would think, wouldn't you, that drawing a straight line from nose to tail would be simple? Not if it requires four separate elements all of which are at different angles! I'm doing, at the moment, a simple livery for the F406. "I'll just knock this one out" I thought....

Ha! Still it keeps the little grey cells working eh? :smile:

Good job so far. Don't let it beat you.

Thanks Ron.

Here is the current state of the nacelles. :smile:  http://www.avsim.com/topic/478358-so-i-took-the-plunge-and-started-to-repaint-the-pa-31-part-2/

Staffan