Sign in to follow this  
ExNusquam

A Different Approach...

I was reading a story the other day about P-3 Orions shooting HI-TACAN approaches. Naturally, I wondered if a P-8 could do it...it certainly was an energy management challenge given how slippery the -800 is.

As in the description, I blew the DME arc by a little bit, and go a little slow on the turn to final as flaps were coming out.

Joe Sherrill

I lost my orientation in your teardrop, seems like you were outbound for a minute then inbound to intercept but then I have no idea what the approach looks like. What's the location and name of the approach, I'll look it up. Also, couldn't tell what your speedbrakes were doing. I assume you had them up in the air?

Interesting approach, I've watched F-104s shoot the Hi Tacan at Ramstein many decades ago. Very exciting because they do not slow down. I think I'd go for heavy use of flap and keep the speed down not to stray too far from the nest. One of the two reasons for the Hi Tacan is to stay away from bad guys outside the perimeter.

Dan Downs KCRP

KNZY, HI-TACAN RWY 29. Here's a link to the plate: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1511/00374HT29.PDF

Spoilers were out initially, but stowed once established in the descent with the gear out. Spoiler alone isn't enough to keep the speed under control, and spoiler+gear is too much. Gear alone seems to be the sweet spot. I did throw the spoilers out again to get below flaps 25 speed though. I'd have loved to see Starfighters flying these, I guess they'd penetrate at 300 knots or so...

Joe Sherrill

Ah okay, now I understand what I was looking at..., I simply missed the constant DME during the arc segment.  Exactly, the Starfighter didn't do well below 200 kts but oh my goodness they were beautiful as are all Kelly Johnson creations.

LOL I spent many days obsessed with the MHTG Toncontin approach where you turn from an arc to very short final and bam... no time to adjust. You've wet my appetite for a challange. Thank you.

Dan Downs KCRP

They used to have a HI ILS into RIC. I'll see if I can find the chart in my old IAPs on my shelf. Couldn't do it in the sim unless you edited the BGL, but could be fun.

Kyle Rodgers