Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Prepar3D setup guide from Nick N

Wow, what a wake up call.  Reading through the thread(s) now makes me feel like a jacka$$ for listening to a lot of other people.  I don't think my cfg is that tweaked out, but at least I know now not to move forward with any other tweaks, adjustments or otherwise.  I'll definitely have to look over my NVI to see what I have changed there.  Good thing is that all is not lost and resetting defaults and creating a new config cleans the canvas off to start over. :)

Thanks Vernon for the link.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Trust me! People are running around crazy on this site with tweaks and tests! WHY ??? Follow the guru do his guide and GO FLY AND STOP TWEAKING.

I hope this will change peoples minds.

I'm a happy bunny with P3D now since not using NVI and following his guide.

Vernon Howells

I must be getting old.  I remember when tweaking meant someone who was high on illicit drugs! lol

I cannot agree more with you Vernon.  When you get enough people in heated debates within threads that last over 20 pages, you start to doubt yourself and the methods you used to get to where you are.  John V  over at the ORBX forum once said that the key to a smooth and stable simulator was the right hardware...there's a lot of truth to that.  Something that Nick said in one of his posts made me laugh, but also got me thinking about something I have noticed is starting to get popular:  Modeled interior Airports.  What really is the point in seeing where the bathrooms are in an airport in a sim?  Sure, it's great eye candy but I feel like the developers are purposely trying to bring people's rigs to a grinding halt, or they are in league with hardware manufacturer's to make an extra buck because some uninformed customer is complaining that his/her top of the line rig can't handle an airport so they need to forego food and rent for a month to go out and buy a new graphics card or cpu.  Sorry, that borders on ridiculous.

I am on that bandwagon of making sure you have a smooth and stable FLIGHT first and the rest comes later, if at all.  Sure, I want a little more realism in my flight, but not at the cost of my rig blowing me a raspberry as it reboots either.

-Jim

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Wow, what a wake up call.  Reading through the thread(s) now makes me feel like a jacka$$ for listening to a lot of other people. 

So instead let's listen to one more people.  Why? because assertion = absolute truth I suppose, with statements like this:

"stop the tweaking NONSENSE right now. You need a clean default Prepar3D install with a clean config and ONLY APPLY the items I posted above in that config, NOTHING ELSE"

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

So instead we shall listen to one more people.  Why? because assertion = absolute truth I suppose, with statements like this:

"stop the tweaking NONSENSE right now. You need a clean default Prepar3D install with a clean config and ONLY APPLY the items I posted above in that config, NOTHING ELSE"

So what's the problem with that statement or even what I said?  Yeah, I meant every word that it is a wake up call.  He's someone that's been in the flight sim community for many years and has a lot of knowledge when it comes to setting up sims.  I don't take his word as God, but I do trust that he wouldn't steer anyone wrong, just like my mention of John V at ORBX.  Hardware is key and no "snake oil" software or magical tweak is going to make things better.  Everything is what it is.

-Jim

Yep you've got it.

Honestly guys get OFF THE FLIGHT SIM HAMSTER WHEEL hahaha

Vernon Howells

Yep you've got it.

Honestly guys get OFF THE FLIGHT SIM HAMSTER WHEEL hahaha

Nah, I like the wheel. You guys move along while I 'non-sensibly' tweak and see what I see. For better or worse, I have lots of fun trying different settings. Also...I don't care one bit what critics say or think.

Like the saying goes  "Hi, I don't care, thanks." :smile:

cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I think it's funny people say every system is totally different in regards to performance, even exact systems can run FSX/P3D slightly different, yet on the other hand say No tweaks are needed at all (On Their System!)

One system may benefit from a tweak and the next exact system may not.

So I agree, there’s no harm if a tweak is there to try it, worst case you just delete the cfg and let it rebuild itself.

Adam

I use NVI for FSX - I did use it for P3D 2.5.  So how do I clear the old NVI for P3D? or delete it or whatever.  Still want the FSX one . .

I use NVI for FSX - I did use it for P3D 2.5.  So how do I clear the old NVI for P3D? or delete it or whatever.  Still want the FSX one . .

Go into NVI and locate the Prepar3D Profile - delete it leave the FSX profile alone.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I didn't like his starting settings - they seem FSX based and P3D is just not the same .

The point of P3D is to run the eye candy , cockpit shadows, flowing water etc etc. the terrain and autogen shadows are nice but I have to disable them in my "measly" 4ghz 2500k.

So I tried his and changed a lot, then saved that.

Also what's the point of starting with an uber vanilla install , setting it all up, then adding all the stuff you really use? I mean lol - of course your performance will change. Add your addons then adjust things. Thankfully we can save configs per areas we fly in. I already have a low (Orbx) medium (normal rural flying) and high (uber eye candy) config .

I think the guy has contributed a lot over the years so....great! But P3D is still really new - and it's going to take some time to really learn how it works.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |