Sign in to follow this  
alpilotx

Guess the continent ... (PREVIEW)

Hi guys,

Before much talk, I have a few pictures for you. Some - classic - before / after comparisons. If you find out the continent, then you might get an idea, what (if everything goes well) the next release might cover.

Before:

Typhoon_26.jpg

After:

Typhoon_25.jpg

Before:

Typhoon_6.jpg

After:

Typhoon_5.jpg

When? I don't know (just started the full render), but hopefully in the next weeks (and quite likely before Christmas).

Hint: the firs pair of pictures might have something to do with the name "Roraima" :wink:

• Upvote 4

Ooh, this looks fantastic, and if I'm guessing right, this is South America? An area very much in need of some love :-). Really looking forward to trying it out

Looks great!

Is it south America?

Brazil or ​Venezuela?

Rob

Yes, South America is correct ... and it will cover the entire continent. It will be a continuation of the HD Mesh Scenery v3 series (at similar quality level ... at least as far as the landcover with some "special sauce" will allow).

• Upvote 3

Great news, always wanted a quality scenery for South America. This will be a massive improvement  B)

Not to sound like a stick but unless we get X-Plane into more of the USA, then we won't see the popularity that FSX enjoys.  Specifically the eastern half of the USA is in much need of love.  I believe that's one area we could focus on.  Massachusetts for example has detailed OSM data for the ENTIRE state.  That's every building, and detailed vegetation data at .5 meter resolution!  Vermont has detailed vegetation and data for all major cities.. I could go on and on..

• Upvote 1

unless we get X-Plane into more of the USA, then we won't see the popularity that FSX enjoys.

This product (HD Mesh Scenery v3) is already available for the US.

And regarding OSM coverage the latest american W2xp scenery should cover that.

EDIT: btw thank you for mentioning the great coverage in Massachusetts, I was not aware of this. Maybe time to do some flying over there  :smile:

HD and parts of UHD mesh already cover the United States. Even LR's artwork is mostly US-based.

Massachusetts for example has detailed OSM data for the ENTIRE state.  That's every building, and detailed vegetation data at .5 meter resolution!  Vermont has detailed vegetation and data for all major cities.. I could go on and on..

Interesting, I didn't know this. I had a look at the data, and it looks like there has been a mass import of all the buildings. However, it's still lacking other data, e.g. There is no zoning (residential, industrial), so any scenery produced here wouldn't be classified or themed properly without additional data. Scenery such as HD/UHD mesh will give you autogen-based scenery, but at least it's consistent and looks better than seemingly randomly (without photoimagery) plonked European buildings.

Not to sound like a stick but unless we get X-Plane into more of the USA, then we won't see the popularity that FSX enjoys. 

I've tried continually to get people involved in making building sets and artwork for the US, and nobody wants to help out. Unlike with FSX, the only choice we have at the moment is to make the scenery ourselves (and it really isn't hard). The reason X-Plane freeware scenery is more European centric is because most of the developers are from Europe and the community gets involved more. In fact, using bad data as an excuse for not doing US sceneries is no longer valid (Most states have lots of data that can be used).

This product (HD Mesh Scenery v3) is already available for the US.

And regarding OSM coverage the latest american W2xp scenery should cover that.

EDIT: btw thank you for mentioning the great coverage in Massachusetts, I was not aware of this. Maybe time to do some flying over there  :smile:

Sometimes OSM isn't the best choice for overage.  Check this:

http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/lus2005.html

Download that puppy (Shapefile format) and check it out in Qgis.  Talk about land use detailed data to the extreme.  1/2 meter resolution.  The only thing it doesn't tell you is where people have spit their gum.

The best places in the USA to find data is state GIS websites.  Iowa, Vermont, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Virginia, Ohio, others... most have detailed Land Use data, some are quite detailed like Massachusetts.  Problem is, and I know Tony is aware, this data is usually in shapefile and on occasion GeoTiff format.

Tony, check this part of the Massachusetts site and go down to Vector Data under facilities and structures:

http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/layerlist.html

• Upvote 1

wooaaa yes, soouth america. you know i have been waiting for it :D we will make you a monument :D

hopefully it extends up to the southern part ushuaia.

is that BEFORE/AFTER picture, Aconcagua mountain at Mendoza?

Manuel Merelles

Tony, check this part of the Massachusetts site and go down to Vector Data under facilities and structures:

http://www.mass.gov/anf/research-and-tech/it-serv-and-support/application-serv/office-of-geographic-information-massgis/datalayers/layerlist.html

Beat you to it, incredible data. I see a new scenery coming soon for this ;-)

• Upvote 1

Great timing! I've been watching Narcos on Netflix which has some great aerial shots of Colombia. Never knew it was such a beautiful country.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Wow!! Finally good mesh for Brazil in X-PLane! Thank you so much, will check that for sure!

I'm curious which source you are using. Is it the latest SRTM?

Alexis Mefano