Hi,

I wonder your opinions about which is the best of the lot cpu among 6700k, 5820k or 5930 to get 2k resolution with high settings on p3d v3 and what is the benefit of buying one of them according to cpu that already I have which is 3930k with overclocked to 4.6 ghz.

Thanks in advance.

If I were to buy a system today...   6700k.  Simply the fastest clock for clock.

• Upvote 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

The 4790k is actually faster in single core performance,uses less power and a better overclocker.The 4790k is also cheaper just some food for thought newer isn't always better.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Performance - In most cases, the performance of the i7 6700K compared to the i7 4790K was either identical or significantly better. We did have a few times that we saw a drop in performance (most noteably a 20% decrease in Linpack) but overall Skylake-S is better than Haswell.

Not hugely better, but... Skylake is a newer architecture, with more to offer than just performance.

I would, and have, gone for the newer platform.

Everyone who has reported back here on Avsim is very pleased with their Skylake systems.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Haswell-vs-Skylake-S-i7-4790K-vs-i7-6700K-641/

• Upvote 1

To clear things out 4790k 2800c9 single core is not faster than 6700k + 3400 cl15.

Overclocking 6700k clocks as good or better than 4790k.

The 4790k is actually faster in single core performance,uses less power and a better overclocker.The 4790k is also cheaper just some food for thought newer isn't always better.

Hmmm... looks like you might have to do an FSXMark11 run to convince us of that. :)

Surprisingly, from a quick search, it looks like the 4790K has never been FSXMark11ed.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

You can look at 4770k no difference to 4790k when Overclocked , i sold my 4790k had a much better 4770k.

Its a bigger difference between a good and bad 4790k than to a normal 4770k.

Hmmm... looks like you might have to do an FSXMark11 run to convince us of that. :)

Surprisingly, from a quick search, it looks like the 4790K has never been FSXMark11ed.

gb.

According to cpu boss the 4790k out performs the 6700k by 10% on single core and it is a more capible overclocker.

As for the 4790k being the same as the 4770k your correct they are pretty much the same chip but the 4790k uses a newer TIM which keeps the chip cooler than the 4770k's TIM. The 4790k also features more capacitors in the chip to hell with overclocking. It also has a faster base clock speed. As for overclocking ability it all comes down to the silicone lottery. I was luck I got a good chip that's very stable at 4.5 ghz with just 1.15v

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Cpu Boss do all tests at deafult speed not the same Clock. its bigger difference betwen 4770k and 4790k acording to Cpu Boss.

The new 6700k is superior compared to Haswell its fact, no reason to buy an old  architecture its like the SandyBridge to Ivy Haswell treads here.

FSMark11 i have test 2700k,3770k,4770k,6700k at high level of Overclock was no reason for publish the 4790k result it was in line with the 4770k, 10% slower than the 6700k..

Guess I have to take a run at it. As I have a 4690k I can run it up to 4.9 w/4 cores (thanks to my delidding operation). I haven't ran FSXMark11 on my new computer yet anyway.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

According to cpu boss the 4790k out performs the 6700k by 10% on single core and it is a more capible overclocker.

As for the 4790k being the same as the 4770k your correct they are pretty much the same chip but the 4790k uses a newer TIM which keeps the chip cooler than the 4770k's TIM. The 4790k also features more capacitors in the chip to hell with overclocking. It also has a faster base clock speed. As for overclocking ability it all comes down to the silicone lottery. I was luck I got a good chip that's very stable at 4.5 ghz with just 1.15v

I see that the 6700K wins all the other BMs there though.

Could you argue that FSX/P3D is not really a single core game but 1+3 for textures?

That could make a difference.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Is there a benefit in getting a 6700k instead of a 6600k for P3D v3? My understanding is the CPU processing for P3D (and FSX for that matter) is done primarily on a single core so I am wondering what the hyperthreading of an i7 offers that the non-hyperthreading of an i5 does not offer.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Is there a benefit in getting a 6700k instead of a 6600k for P3D v3? My understanding is the CPU processing for P3D (and FSX for that matter) is done primarily on a single core so I am wondering what the hyperthreading of an i7 offers that the non-hyperthreading of an i5 does not offer.

I reduced by overclock from 4.5 to 4.4 so I can have Hyper threading.... When I fly fast a low, I get hazzy blurries...cause it cannot load textures fast enough.. HT really solves that problem.. I can see all my HT process are working when its loading textures.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I'm happy to hear HT improves things for you.. not everyone has this experience..

Having more cores active is like having more cooks working on preparing your pizza..   :wink: 

• Upvote 1

Bert