Sign in to follow this  
JYW

I'm up and running :) - just a couple of Qs?

Hi folks,

I got XP10.41 yesterday, all installed and some amazing scenery (HD Mesh v3 etc) installed.    I also bought Sound Maxx which is awesome (the default sounds are pretty poor!).  What an upgrade.

For my first aircraft, I bought the vFlyte Piper Arrow III, which is a lovely flyer with a great VC, although the engine sounds a bit poor.

I've got MisterXs airports, and am just blown away that these are free....... same with RDesign's Alaskan airports.

So, I'm sondering if some generous soul wouldn't mind answering these initial questions I have ;-

- NAV frequencies.  Is there any way to find out ILS frequencies etc, for airports quite far away?  I have seen the ILS frequencies that are shown on the "Local Map", but was wondering if there is a way (such as in FSX/P3D accessing the map and scrolling to any airport to find out the navaid frequencies)  ?

- GPWS:  I seem to have a built-in GPWS system active (eg.. "Glideslope!" etc), on every aircraft.  It's a little unrealistic for my Piper Arrow.   Is there a way to turn this off?   (Can't find in Options)

- Sounds:   Is it possible to replace engine sounds easily, as per FSX/P3D?

- "Free Camera" mode.  I've accessd this (py pressing 'c') and it's great but I can currently only find keys that will rotate the view, or move it on lateral and vertical axes....... is there away to 'move' in this mode, ie to adjust the longitudinal axis?

........that's it for now!

I am VERY impressed so far.  :smile:    The perception of height is really great.   And the HD Mesh textures and details are just awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

I've probably missed it to, but for the camera the only way I know is turn turn sideways then move with your arrow keys...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

- NAV frequencies. 

I use Plan-G for this, it's synced with XPX through xpuipc. Very user friendly flight planning tool. It can enter the NAV frequencies for you even. 

Notes below! (and welcome to X-Plane!)

For my first aircraft, I bought the vFlyte Piper Arrow III, which is a lovely flyer with a great VC, although the engine sounds a bit poor.

Don't be shy of the Carenado / Alabeo fleet as well, they are almost all great in XP, more so than their FSX/P3D brethren

- NAV frequencies.  Is there any way to find out ILS frequencies etc, for airports quite far away?  I have seen the ILS frequencies that are shown on the "Local Map", but was wondering if there is a way (such as in FSX/P3D accessing the map and scrolling to any airport to find out the navaid frequencies)  ?

Other than using the "Local Map" or a 3rd party navigation planning source, no.  It's worth noting that nearby COMM frequencies can be accessed however, using a menu option in 'Special/Toggle Nearby Air Traffic Controllers Window'.  This is new, and hopefully expands to the NAV frequencies (it's rather nice).

- GPWS:  I seem to have a built-in GPWS system active (eg.. "Glideslope!" etc), on every aircraft.  It's a little unrealistic for my Piper Arrow.   Is there a way to turn this off?   (Can't find in Options)

I'm not so sure about sim-wide announcements and warnings, but I do know all warning type options are also configurable per plane, but requiring you to get your hands dirty with Planemaker (Planemaker accompanies X-Plane, and lets you seriously dig around and change a ton of stuff in any given aircraft.). A suggestion before you adjust anything in Planemaker is to always make a new copy of the plane you're about to fiddle with and naming the directory something different.

- "Free Camera" mode.  I've accessd this (py pressing 'c') and it's great but I can currently only find keys that will rotate the view, or move it on lateral and vertical axes....... is there away to 'move' in this mode, ie to adjust the longitudinal axis?

There are a huge assortment of assignable camera movement commands in the 'Settings/Joystick & Equipment' window, in the 'Buttons:Adv' tab, sorted under the radio button option (middle pane) that reads 'general/'.  Essentially, there are movement commands that can control the free camera in nearly any possible axis.  I personally have a PS2 controller setup with movement assignments; I can use free camera mode nearly as effectively as any first person perspective video game ever released.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

after pressing c to detach, Period and Comma will move you back and forth. Holding down the right mouse button while zooming around is how I do it. Holding down Shift while using the period, comma or arrow up and down will speed up the movement. Hope this makes sense. I am a recent convert to XP, been on for less than a month and I am amazed at how great this sim is... Here is a twitch stream I did last night.  https://youtu.be/6trVZrzgNhI%C2'>

I've probably missed it to, but for the camera the only way I know is turn turn sideways then move with your arrow keys...

• Upvote 2

I agree! This plane would be great if the sounds (especially the breaks) were better. :smile:

It's also too sensitive for my taste.

Other than that, I love it!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks very much for the help folks.

Yes, it turns out the "GPWS" features were part of the vFlyte Arrow (bizarre in such a plance!).  Now turned off... :)

Thanks again, all helpful to me.....  now I'm trying to figures out the ATC, over and above just opening it's window.

Bill

Yes, it turns out the "GPWS" features were part of the vFlyte Arrow (bizarre in such a plance!).  Now turned off... :)

Thanks again, all helpful to me.....  now I'm trying to figures out the ATC, over and above just opening it's window.

Not sure if anyone told you but the xplane atc is pretty poor. the devs said they are working on more atc features and fixing the bugs  for 10.50. 

Hi Bill,

You might be a little disappointed if you try to use the XPX built-in ATC. There are alternatives though;

EasyATC 2.1 at the org http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=28428

Pilot2ATC                      http://pilot2atc.com/

Radar Contact 4           http://www.avsim.com/topic/465725-radar-contact-4-atc-and-x-plane-plugin/

cheers

For camera view have a look at X-Camera, one of the best plugin and it's freeware. Multiple camera settable for every AC, chase views, compatible with TrackIR and easily configurable with it, I could not imagine Xplane without now,

Thanks again for the suggestions.   Yes, I'm using X-Camera (and Headshake) - really great, free utilities :smile:

Bill

Not sure if anyone told you but the xplane atc is pretty poor. the devs said they are working on more atc features and fixing the bugs  for 10.50. 

No. You are mistaken: They only talk about bug fixes, not about new features.  New features are more likely on the list for X-Plane 11.