Sign in to follow this  
johnfairm

Nvidia Graphics Card performance

Hi,

I have an Nvidia GTX780 3GB graphics card fitted. I am running Prepar3Dv3 and I have seen plenty of comments stating that the graphics card usuage should reach 90% or more.

Montoring my installation my card doesn't seem to go above about 35%, this is when running PMDG 777 at UK2000 Heathrow extreme with ASN, FS Captain, ProAtcX, Aivlasoft EFB and FS2Crew. This should be about as demanding a scenario as possible to load up the grahics card.

I have monitored it using NV Inspector and GPU-Z.

I am getting OK performance but was wondering if there is something that is holding the graphics card back?

System Specs:

Prepar3Dv3

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Intel I7 4770K overclocked to 4.2ghz

16Gb Fast ram (can't remember the exact details)

ORBX Global + many region packs

Lots of add on airports.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Many thanks

John Fairman

I don't use P3D, I still run FSX on my now antiquated system.  I presume that P3D may have changed the dynamic somewhat and perhaps uses more of the graphics card, but flight sims are very math intensive programs.  The CPU is going to crunch the numbers and supply the data to RAM and the graphics card.  High resolution, anti-aliasing and filtering settings on the graphics card will make the card work harder to render a crisper, cleaner, and smoother image, but in my opinion, that is all the graphics card does with flight sims.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I asked this question before, basically my card was only using 45/55% out of 100% but when I used 4/8 SSSG it shoot up to 90/95% So ye its the AA settings in NI that will shoot your card up in usage anyway not horsepower

EDIT, Stan got there before me

Hi, I have an Nvidia GTX780 3GB graphics card fitted. I am running Prepar3Dv3 and I have seen plenty of comments stating that the graphics card usage should reach 90% or more.

I think that might be for very high resolution monitors, or multi monitor setups. I run P3D v3 @ 1920x1080 resolution with a 2GB GTX 770, and it seems to run fine even in dense scenery areas. I don't bother checking usage figures or framerates. I am only concerned with whether it runs properly or not!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks All,

I'll try cranking up the AA to see if that makes it work harder - as long as it doesn't affect VAS.

Best Regards

John

I'll try cranking up the AA to see if that makes it work harder - as long as it doesn't affect VAS.

That's the thing John,  it will work harder alright but there will be no increased FPS performance.    The only increased performance will be your cards efforts to keep up with extra AA work.  

You could try,   In NI make sure you have Single Display Performance Mode on and Prefer Constant Power on as well.   Some say it helps