Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Read any good novels lately?

I have just finished reading a book by Michael Crichton titled "Airframe". What a brilliant book! It's an absolute must for every serious Flight Simmer.This leads me further to ask of this community...Have you read any aeronautical novels that you would unreservedly recommend to a passionate Flight Sim addict?Three books immediately jump to my mind:1] The old classic "Airport" by Arthur Hailey (My favourite of all time)2] The tongue-in-cheek "Get Real" by Bill Smith (:( :+ :-lol)3] And "Airframe" by Michael Crichton (A seriously technical Aeronautical Novel) How about you? Got anything good to recommend?Dave

Uh, well.. this thread may get bounced, but what the heck?"Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. Cross country in a Piper Cub. I'm going to read this again soon.Not a novel, but "Propeller One-Way Night Coach" by John Travolta (that rich lucky ba$tard!) was a charming short story.Not flight sim related, but "When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden" by Bill Mahr...And currently, "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart - a story about personal loss and one's motorcycle journeys as a form of healing and meditation.Andrew

These aren't novels, but pretty much all of the John Nance books are excellent. He is a retired USAir pilot, and he writes about aviation fiction. x2 on "Flight of Passage", great book.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Andrew, Neil has been one of my idols since forever and Ghost Rider is some of his best work and very gripping. If you get a chance, pick up his latest work, Traveling Music when you are done. I am currently wrapped up in it as he details his adventure to Texas and music that inspired him along the way.Carmine http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/Images/wave.gif

Just read both "The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy" by Robert Ludlum. The books are very different from the movies, but also very good.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest DNelson

Not sure if it's classified as a novel, but Ernie Gann's Fate is the Hunter is an all-time classic for pilots and wanna-be pilots.

HI Carmine,Nice to meet a fellow fan! I wanted to read this before Traveling Music... I'm only about 50 pages into it, and it is gripping indeed. Didn't know Alex was a pilot, either...CheersAndrew>Andrew, Neil has been one of my idols since forever and>Ghost Rider is some of his best work and very gripping. If>you get a chance, pick up his latest work, Traveling Music>when you are done. I am currently wrapped up in it as he>details his adventure to Texas and music that inspired him>along the way.>>Carmine http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/Images/wave.gif

Guest Rockcliffe

"North Star over my Shoulder" by Bob Buck, former chief pilot for TWA, friend of Howard Hughes, pilot to the movie stars, etc.This is a great memoir by a man who learned to fly in biplanes and ended his career flying NY to Paris in 747s.During the Second World War, he piloted a B17 set up for weather research and chased severe weather systems all over the globe.I enjoyed this book immensely."Flying South" by Barbara ... I can't remember her last name right now.She was the wife of mountain photographer Galen Rowell, and flew with another pilot and some friends from Oakland to Patagonia in a Cessna Stationair. Wonderful photographs and insightful writing about overcoming fear and other personal challenges.{Sadly, she and Galen were killed just before the book was published when the charter flight they were passengers on crashed in California.)BlairCYOW

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Hey Andrew,With RUSH being my favorite band for the last 30 years it was REALLY something to learn that Alex ALSO lives within 30 miles of me in the winters in South Florida!! By the way, the Vapor Trails tour was AWESOME 2 years ago BUT the 30 YEAR Tour I went to last weekend BLEW ME AWAY!! If you are waiting to see it you are in for the BEST SHOW. There is a montage that is OUT OF THIS WORLD!!Carmine http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/Images/wave.gif

Guest glnflwrs

Dave, I just finished Louis La'Amour's novel, "Last of the Breed" and it is an excellent story. He's known mostly for his western novels, but this book is about an Alaskan Alyeute (sp?) Indian who is a colonel/fighter pilot in the US Air Force. He "strays" over Kamchatka and is shot down. The story is all about his escape from a Siberian POW camp and 3500 mile hike to the Bering Straits and home. It's great. Very amusing sometimes but always dramatic.Glenn Flowers

I found out where Alex's house was in Florida when he was arrested. Why do they have to run his address in the papers?Anyway, I saw them last Wednesday, August 4th (my birthday) at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ. And they never cease to amaze me. Also, the back of the amphitheter is open to festival seating, and the remnants of Hurricane Alex (how appropriate) whipped up a blowing thunderstorm during their first set. I got pretty wet, but those poor people out in festival seating had no hope! Quite weird.Also, very weird to be in an audience full of people "my age" (37) and over, many with their kids, who are the age I was when I first heard them...Further into Ghost Rider now, btw, and it's excellent.Andrew>Hey Andrew,>>With RUSH being my favorite band for the last 30 years it was>REALLY something to learn that Alex ALSO lives within 30 miles>of me in the winters in South Florida!! By the way, the Vapor>Trails tour was AWESOME 2 years ago BUT the 30 YEAR Tour I>went to last weekend BLEW ME AWAY!! If you are waiting to see>it you are in for the BEST SHOW. There is a montage that is>OUT OF THIS WORLD!!>>Carmine http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/Images/wave.gif