Sign in to follow this  
Rollmops

X-Plane-like easy to use camera plugin

Hey!

I just want to share a tiny plugin i wrote that is supposed to mimic the camera system of X-Plane.

I really like the X-Plane´s way of defining and retrieving camera positions by using the numpad. 

And since i was not very lucky installing my EZDOK plugin in Prepard3d V3 i just decided to write my own camera plugin :-)

Until now it is not even in the beta phase but i want to give you the opportunity to play with it and maybe give some feedback.

I only developed and tested it with Prepar3d V3. So i do not know if it is working with other versions.

Installation

============

1. Just place the camera_plugin.exe where ever you want (I place mine in the Prepar3d´s Module directory)

2. Add the camera_plugin.exe to your exe.xml; the new entry should look like (of course with an adapted path):

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Camera Plugin</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Path>E:\Prepar3D\Modules\camera_plugin.exe</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

3. Unitl now you can not modify the keybindings for this plugin. So you have to delete all numpad related keybindings from the Prepar3d´s control setting menu.

4. Start your sim

How does it work?

=================

To move your head you have to use the Shift+(Numpad 0-9 and the Numpad_Delete button). 

Shift+Numpad5: Center View

Shift+Numpad4: Move Head Left

Shift+Numpad6: Move Head Right

Shift+Numpad2: Move Head Down

Shift+Numpad8: Move Head Up

Shift+Numpad1: Move Haead Backward

Shift+Numpad7: Move Head Forward

Shift+Numpad9: Look Down

Shift+Numpad3: Look Up

Shift+Numpad0: Look Left

Shift+Numpad_Del: Look Right

(Does anyone need roll?)

If you setup a view position you like you can use Ctrl+(Numpad 1-9) to save it.

To move your head to a saved position just use Numpad 1-9.

The viewing positions are saved per aircraft. So you can define a camera set for each.

The camera positions are saved in a file named "camera_definitions.cfg" located in the same directory as the camera plugin. So you also can share it.

So all i can say is have fun! :-)

• Upvote 2

As a user coming from Xplane im highly interested in this plugin but sadly cannot get it to work. As I'm new to P3D I'm not very experienced with it :-(

In which exe.xml do I have to put those lines? I have exe.xml in three different locations:

"c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"

"c:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"

"c:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"

If running P3D is there a menu item where I can see that the plugin is working?

Thanks for your help and effort!

This looks very interesting Erik,  will deffo try it out in the coming days and report back 

Hi,

I've just tested the plugin - it's awesome! This is exactly the easy-to-use camera utility that I've been looking for (tried EZdock, but found it to be not very intuitive and returned it). Well done and thank you for sharing this!

Some thoughts:

First, the key assignments: After deleting all numpad assignments in the controls menu (caution, there are three of them - numpad keys, shift+numpad and ctrl+numpad) I've found that the camera is now controlled by pressing the numpad keys rather than shift+numpad as it says in the description.

Saving a view works by pressing shift+ctrl+numpad.

Accessing a saved view is done by shift+numpad.

This control layout makes sense to me, but perhaps the description could be updated.

Also, the plugin creates one camera_definitions.cfg file in the folder where the plugin itself is located, and another camera_definitions.cfg in the P3DV3 main folder. Apparently the latter file is the one where the definitions are saved and read from.

As for the installation, the correct exe.xml is located in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml.

Thanks, sounds interesting as I love how the view/pan camera in X-Plane 10 works. I will try this out later! :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Thank you for this:-) Seems to be working as intented and it is a nice addition to FSUIPC's Free Mouselook:-) I do have EZDOK, but it was pain to get it working in 2.5, so for now this+FSUIPC will do just fine for 3.0:-)

One issue though; my Bitdefender did not like this at all and kept insisting on deleting it, but I guess its a false positive. I did a complete scan after using it just to be sure, and all looks good.

Thanks, sounds interesting as I love how the view/pan camera in X-Plane 10 works. I will try this out later! :)

The X-camera plugin working in P3Dv3 would be a dream come through!

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Yes X-Camera is awesome! That's what EZDOK should be like... 

I hate how sometimes when i switch views in EZDOK, it flickrs a white screen between each view. Annoying. It doesn't always happen though, but when it does, it looks bad.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Does it give in cab motion in turbulence, landing, takeoff roll, etc,,,  like Ezdok, because that is the best part of Ezdok I think. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hey guys,

thanks for trying it out. Actually it was intended to be a tool for my personal needs so do not expect any professional support :-) Sorry for that. I would love to make something comparable to X-Camera but I am afraid I do not have enough time to finish it within decent time :-(

1. You do not need FSUIPC

2. Yeah you are right, the assigments.cfg file is saved inside the P3D folder (or wherever the working directory of P3D is)

3. Hmm, the description should be right, since it mirrors the key bindings i have implemented. Could you try to toggle the Num Key (activate and deactivate numpad)

4. No it does not give any cab motion. 

But of course I will accept some feature requests or bug fixes.

First thing I want to do is to make key bindings configurable.

""2. Add the camera_plugin.exe to your exe.xml;""

Were is that?  In here?  Which one though?

23313158941_96c3fa8f47_o.png

Sorry, I was not really aware that there are so many places to find (or not find) the exe.xml . I found mine at the location poppet is showing.

As Shorle wrote, he found his exe.xml at the following locations:

"c:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"
"c:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"
"c:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\exe.xml"

Do you find one there? I always thought there has to be at least a virgin exe.xml in one of the three directories.

Unfortunately, I am not on my flightsim computer so I can not show you a sample of the exe.xml. Maybe someone can help out? :-)

Unfortunately, I am not on my flightsim computer so I can not show you a sample of the exe.xml. Maybe someone can help out? :-)

Strange, my exe.xml is in that folder as well. Perhaps it isn't created unless some addon requiring an entry has been installed?

Anyway, the file should look like this (with a different path to the plugin, depending on where it has been installed):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>
  <Name>Camera Plugin</Name>
  <Path>D:\Programs\Prepar3DV3\Modules\camera_plugin.exe</Path>
</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

3. Hmm, the description should be right, since it mirrors the key bindings i have implemented. Could you try to toggle the Num Key (activate and deactivate numpad)

You are correct, when Num lock is off the key bindings work as described :smile:

Anyway, I've been using the plugin some more and my admiration has only increased! It's so simple to use, no complicated menu to deal with... This is exactly what the custom cameras in P3D should do (they're pretty much useless as they cannot be saved).Thanks again!

I have only done a clean install of Prepar3D V3.  So i done a full search of my computer and found the exe.xml file in    Local Disk © /ProgramData/LockhhedMartin/Prepar3d V3

So armed with this im off now to investigate 

23372547416_3297d7ec20_o.png