Sign in to follow this  
TonyB

Hurricane weather using ASV

Guest Camsdad

I took a quick flight this morning using ASV flying from MSY to MOB. 9:00 am this morning the winds at MSY were 8knt and scattered clouds with no rain. The entire flight going over Gulf port was the same with 11,000' ceiling. When I got within 20 miles of Mobile I was greeted with 3/4 vis and 120 kt winds in from the north east. Still no rain. I was watching the news while doing this and the weather differs greatly from what I downloaded thru ASV and what is actually happening.

Just taking a guess but the reports are taken from airports in the area and it could be there weather observation towers have been disabled by strong winds and rain.They are only getting info from the last good reading from those observation towers.My two cents worth.Sean

Sean Green

Guest Darren Howie

Yep i think thats the case.Was checking a few hours ago and it seems that New orleans wx went off the air at around 1100UTC.DArren

Guest Camsdad

Thanks guys. I just figured that since we could get up to the minute weather from The Weather Channel, Fox and others then we would be able to get the same from ASV.

>Thanks guys. I just figured that since we could get up to the>minute weather from The Weather Channel, Fox and others then>we would be able to get the same from ASV.>I can't speak for the other channels, but Fox news couldn't show radar because they lost their doppler. I don't know if it is back yet or not. KMSY automated weather was down. So to say everyone else had up to the minute weather is a little general. And TV weather reports tend to be generalizations, aren't they? They are not providing detailed Metar data.Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg