Sign in to follow this  
RWG

Pack Noise

When the Packs are on, the noise of rushing air from them is quite loud, is there a way to reduce the Pack Noise without turning them off or lowering the volume of all the other cockpit sounds?

Thanks
Bob Galbraith

There's no way to do that other than to edit the relevant sound files to reduce the sound level. Easy enough to do if you have a media editor program installed. There are some free ones online.

It's up to personal preferences I suppose, but I don't find the pack noise excessive and the PMDG sounds and sound levels are very authentic. The thing that impressed me most about the 747 when it was first released was how realistic the sounds were compared to those in a 747 Level D sim I was working on at the time.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Maybe it's a matter of the right speaker system, I recently hooked up the sound bar and sub woofer from my TV to see what that would do for FSX and while the sounds were much better than before with just a small set of speakers the high pitch of rushing air from the packs in the PMDG 747-400 was way over powering and drowned out other sounds. If I turned off the packs all else was great, but of course, you can't do that!

Bob Galbraith

Hello all,

Bob, that's how the real thing is. The deck is quite a noisy place to work. Give it a 300 IAS and you have an almost 80 dB "concert" and you won't hear any fans anymore.

Inverters can also be quite noisy; I believe the 737 inverter noise is the loudest inverter and well simulated.

757 is the Cadillac of them all, with 74 dB I believe.

Ionut (John) G. Micu

Any suggestions on were to set the sound sliders within FSX and also on the PC it's self to get the best sound from the PMDG 747-400 with speakers of this type?

Bob Galbraith

The only suggestion I can make is put the sliders where you think gives the best result.

Air noise is predominantly white noise. It includes all frequencies randomly, so the speaker arrangement shouldn't affect it. The clearer and more specific frequencies in the other sounds may well be improved. However, wanting to hear them isn't a good reason to be able to hear them if the air noise should be masking them.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thanks Kevin and John for you input and help.

Regards

Bob Galbraith

One thing from experience... do you have Realtek audio drivers? There's a setting that makes everything way more even when it comes to FSX.

One thing from experience... do you have Realtek audio drivers? There's a setting that makes everything way more even when it comes to FSX.

Are you talking about the sound equalizer?

It's the "Loudness Equalization" setting or something like that. I turned it off accidentally once and noticed I could no longer hear the fuel pump sounds on another aircraft, and the packs were suddenly too loud. Turned it back on and it was better.

I too was just about to post this, the packs are just too loud.

Interesting to read that it is like this in the real 747-400, I love this aircraft but I wouldn't love to be in the cockpit full time with this whooshing air noise for a long haul flight. 

Its a shame we cannot amend this, other than altering the sound settings in the sim application. Which has to be altered again when you fly another aircraft as the sounds will be too low.

I hope this is resolved in V2

Aron Tavares

You can download a free sound editor and simply reduce the output volume from the packs file. Backup the original first. I find this the best way of dealing with "noisy" sounds, saves playing around with the sound sliders each time.

Peter Schluter

I too was just about to post this, the packs are just too loud.

Interesting to read that it is like this in the real 747-400, I love this aircraft but I wouldn't love to be in the cockpit full time with this whooshing air noise for a long haul flight. 

Its a shame we cannot amend this, other than altering the sound settings in the sim application. Which has to be altered again when you fly another aircraft as the sounds will be too low.

I hope this is resolved in V2

Aron Tavares

There's no reason why it should be resolved in v2 since the sound is as PMDG intended. The sounds will no doubt be from new recordings so will sound even better. However if it's anything like the NGX and 777 then there will be a means to customise the FSX sound volume settings in the CDU menu and so any change only affects that sim, not all aircraft.

ki9cAAb.jpg

You can download a free sound editor and simply reduce the output volume from the packs file. Backup the original first. I find this the best way of dealing with "noisy" sounds, saves playing around with the sound sliders each time.

Thank you!

There's no reason why it should be resolved in v2 since the sound is as PMDG intended. The sounds will no doubt be from new recordings so will sound even better. However if it's anything like the NGX and 777 then there will be a means to customise the FSX sound volume settings in the CDU menu and so any change only affects that sim, not all aircraft.

Thank you!