Sign in to follow this  
Dannyboy_1

Fsx Steam Disappears

HI,

Has anyone got an answer to my dilemma?  I start FSX steam and load a flight it starts ok and I can hear it running.

But it does not show up on my computer screen.

After a couple of restarts it finally does show up.

What can I do to stop this from happening as I’m getting very frustrated and don’t have a clue how to fix this problem.

Thanks

Jack

Hello Danny.  I could be way off the mark here, so my apologies  but personally the first thing i would do is Verify Integrity Of Game Cache

You do this by going to your Steam Page, Click View at the top left and Click Game Details in the drop down bar, this will bring you too your list of Games.  Find FSX, right click and click Properties.

You will see this. Click Local Files,  then click  Verify Integrity Of Game Cache.   This will rerun the installer and replace any damaged or missing files

Try that first anyway 

22423831383_b05ae2b041_o.png

Hello Danny.  I could be way off the mark here, so my apologies  but personally the first thing i would do is Verify Integrity Of Game Cache

You do this by going to your Steam Page, Click View at the top left and Click Game Details in the drop down bar, this will bring you too your list of Games.  Find FSX, right click and click Properties.

You will see this. Click Local Files,  then click  Verify Integrity Of Game Cache.   This will rerun the installer and replace any damaged or missing files

Try that first anyway 

22423831383_b05ae2b041_o.png

Hi Elaine,

Much appreciated for the info: completed as per: your instructions.

I’m afraid that’s not the problem, will have to look elsewhere to find the glitch on this computer. At least now I know how rebuild Fsx Steam which is the first thing one should do when they run into problems.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my plea for help.

Jack

Sorry to hear that Jack.    Theirs lots of folks here that are FSX pro's,  so hopefully someone will jump in here 

I have a question about the "Verify integrity of game cache" function on steam. If I have add-ons installed that may have modified some files (such as cfg. files or dll. files), will Steam replace those by the original files?  If yes, that would be disastrous if your add-ons rely on them.

How about posting your sytem specs. You may not have enough engine to run FSX, or there could be a problem with your graphics card or power supply. We don't know at this point. So any help you might get at this point would most likely be speculation on our part unless we've had the same problem.  More information will certainly help.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Afterburner

I have performed the verification process on Steam twice in the last 10 months with no apparent change to any of my add-ons. In both cases I did it because I had simconnect problems arising from one particular aircraft add-on and in both cases it fixed my problem. I didn't see any obvious detriment to anything else.

I'm not particularly tech-savvy but I don't think it changes any add-ons or re-writes any config files.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

HI,

Has anyone got an answer to my dilemma?  I start FSX steam and load a flight it starts ok and I can hear it running.

But it does not show up on my computer screen.

After a couple of restarts it finally does show up.

What can I do to stop this from happening as I’m getting very frustrated and don’t have a clue how to fix this problem.

Thanks

Jack

Hi, Jack,

Sometimes I've found it hard to get back into FSX in full-screen once I've alt-tabbed out of it. This is more of a problem for me in original FSX.

So I'm wondering if maybe FSX is "there" but not reachable. The problem sometimes happens if I'm at some screen in FSX that is expecting a selection, such as

the aircraft selection display.

I use task manager's "switch to program" function to get back in, and that almost always works. You can also tell whether it's still running by looking in task manager.

What happens if you run FSX in windowed mode? If it works better that might at least be a clue.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike is correct, you'll find that the Windowed mode is the way to go.

That said, you SHOULD be able to run in the Full Screen mode (though it's not recommended).  I'm thinking that you might need to update your graphics drivers.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the input to correcting my problem. Sorry I could not get back to you all sooner.

I don’t quite know what happened but now the problem seems to have taken a trip south as it has not happened for a while now.

But have noted all the suggestions and if it rears its ugly head again will go through all your suggestions to try and fix it.

Again many thanks for taking the time to help out much appreciated.

Jack

Well, I wanted to give it a try and clicked on "Verify Integrity of Game Cache", but Steam started to download 3.5 GIGABYTE worth of data!  To me, this was an indication that it wasn't just a few files that the platform wanted to update, but a whole lot. I stopped the download process, because I was not sure which files were going to be updated. When I checked the appropriate folders (Downloading and Temp), I noticed that it was a bunch of audio and vehicle files that were replaced by GSX and MyTrafficX 5.4B. At that point, I suspended the download. I was concerned that those files would be replaced by the default files, which would render the add-ons useless.

However, when I started FSX next time, Steam insisted that the files had to be downloaded first, and I found no way of bypassing the download requirement. Even switching to offline mode did not let me open FSX, as it claimed that it couldn't be run in the current state.

I had no choice but to restore to a very recent system image backup, in which I hadn't initiated the verification of the game files integrity yet. To be honest, I am ###### about how intrusive the Steam platform is with regard to FSX. It starts with the fact that you can't truly select a custom installation folder like C:\FSX (which you could with the boxed edition). Instead, you have to dig through tons of subfolders to find the fsx.exe and other related files. And then, once Steam wants to download something - be it an update or default files like it happened to me, you have no choice but to let Steam do it, otherwise the game won't start. Even when you switch to offline mode (a function that was implemented later after excessive requests by users), opening FSX still opens the Steam client forcefully. If an update is released in the future that may be the cause of compatibility issues with some add-ons, you have no option to postpone it. When it comes to Steam, either you download it, or you won't fly.

Therefore, my only conclusion is: If you have lots of add-ons installed that have modified existing files, stay away from the "Verify integrity of game cache" button!  Only use it if you experience serious issues - but uninstall all potentially affected add-ons first!

I only run in full screen mode.  Is there some advantage over running in windowed mode?

I9-13900kf - rtx4090

32gb ddr5 4800mhz, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

internet - 300+ mbs / Honycomb Alpha yoke / Saitek Throttle

Dell 43” 4K 

I only run in full screen mode.  Is there some advantage over running in windowed mode?

Not that I am aware of.  I suggested windowed mode only because the OP was having issues w/ full screen mode, and only as a way to get a handle on the problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2