Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

How to replace a power supply?

I agree with you that our disagreement is very, very minor. Unless you're doing SLI or something exotic, a good 450W or more power supply should be more than adequate for the job. Getting one rated at 90% or so should reduce the heat some more as well - reading power supply reviews for efficiency and noise might not be a bad idea either.

Yes it is minor.

And to be honest, the difference in cost between a 450 watt PSU and a 600 watt PSU isn't a show stopper. A decent quality Corsair Gold 650 watt PSU is a mere 20 quid more than a 450 watt here in the UK. £60 for the 600 watt, so why not. Especially since most of us will be in our sheds designing our quantum field generators for our hyper drives and thus will need the extra power.  ;)

This guy gives me 667 Watts...

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

But then will I some time in the future go for SLI? You never know. 997 Watts with SLI.

Great video Martin! Very informative.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Interesting that now with the Corsair Link software, you can switch between multi-rail and single rail. From what I understand of PSU design, in reality there's no such thing as a true multi-rail design, in that power comes from the same single source. It's just that the power is split and each trace individually protected by OCP.

I guess all Corsair are doing is reconfiguring the OCP chip to no longer limit each trace and consider them one rail with a higher shutdown threshold.

I've always opted for single rail designs, but I am more tempted to go for a multi-rail design this time.

I currently have a 450w power supply. If you say they overspec so much would that be sufficient as the EVGA 980ti classified needs a minimum of 600w according to their site?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

The max draw on a 980Ti Classified is 300W. You're probably cutting it too close with a 450W, depending on your CPU and other parts.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I'm targeting an Enermax power supply 630w modular at this time. It has a single 12v rail however, will I be making a mistake buying this one or am I on the right track?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD