flynman33

FSX vs P3d and Steam

OK... I just got my new system built

MOBO Asus M5A97

Ram     8G

CPU AMD Vishera 4.2 4530 QC

Video      Nvidia EVGA GTX 750ti

PSU        450Wat

I am perfectly smooth with no burps in FS9. So, I loaded my 8 year old copy of FSX and am getting 20-28FPS with IFly 737 and T2G KSEA scenery.

So. Would I see better performance with P3D. I need to know what you all think before I get to much invested in FSX?

Amd...What is Stream for FSX. Does it improve performance or a waste of hardrive space?

Thanks

Randy

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

If your system is for flightsim, you should have asked for advice here before getting your system. I hate to tell you this, but traditionally AMD processors do not do as well as Intel when it comes to FS performance. Maybe the newer generation processors are better, and you'll be happy. As for what is FSX Steam (FSXSE) As the name implies it's a version that is published on Steam by  Dovetail Games (DTG). After MS canceled FSX they licensed it to DTG to be published on the Steam distribution system. By license they are not permitted to make any visual changes like LM can do with P3D, So visually you won't see much difference between the original FSX (FSXMS) and FSXSE. They were permitted to fix behind the scenes fixes, which have greatly improved stability of the platform. The biggest improvement has come in VAS (Virtual Address Space management, which significantly reduces the occurrence of OOM's (Out of memory errors) over that of FSXMS. P3D Version 3.0 just recently released, have implemented similar VAS improvements, so they're about equal in this area. Unless you are set on P3D and can afford it (Not only the core sim, but the higher priced addons) My advice to you is wait for one of DTG's $5 FSXSE sales (Next one probably will be about Thanksgiving or Christmas, as they usually coincide with an upcoming holiday) Try it then before going to P3D. If you don't like it a $5 mistake is easier to stomach then a $200 ($60 if you're a student) one for P3D.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Or, would you prefer a 10 year old modded sim, or a new sim? P3D is now on v3, so about 10x releases so far. FSX:SE... an updated re-release of FSX.

Yes, there are costs involved, but to get something just because it's cheap..

Academically speaking, my choice would be to go for the latest. Remember, with P3D, you do have a money back deal as well.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I have both FSX:SE and P3Dv2.5 installed.

I also installed the DX10 Fixer in FSX.

Other than the problems with some add-ons, like Aerosoft Madeira, and others no longer being installable in P3D ( as my A2As, which actually forced me to install FSX:SE ), I can tell you that I get better performance in P3Dv2.5 vs FSX:SE DX10 with the only product with specific installer for both sims that I have bought ( twice ) - the PMDG Mighty 777 200 LR.

I also decided not to install ( other than Aerosoft Madeira ) any add-on scenery, including ORBX FTX Global, so, I am getting very acceptable frames on both sims and so far absolutely none of the stuttering that some users are unfortunately "victim" of in P3D.

If it wasn't for the facts that:

.) I would have to spend a little fortune in addons, buying again the rest of my PMDG stuff ( -300 and NGX ) for P3D, as well as the A2As, and the RealAirs, and also sooner or latter also probably in P3Dv3 ( I wouldn't resist, I believe ) and...

.) FSLabs Airbus A32X being released initially for FSX  / FSX:SE only

I would stay with P3D only, the reasons being, as others pointed out:

- being a platform under development, while FSX:SE is stagnated, and Dovetail involved in their upcoming flightsim tittle

- giving me slight but noticeable performance increase compared to FXS:SE, specially after I have upgraded to a graphics card that allows me to use more advanced graphics settings - GTX 960 4GB.

My rig: i5 2500 @ 3,3 GHz ( non-overclockable version ), 16 GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS GTX 960 4GB, Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

P.S:

My last tests, running with FSX:SE + DX10 Fixer  vs P3Dv2.5, using the PMDG 777 200 LR, and REX Soft Clouds applied with the same set to both sims, ASN feeding the weather I get:

- As much as 10+ fps in P3D v2.5, with what I would call better graphics from cockpit to the weather and even terrain rendering, so, I can say that keeping FSX:SE is just a matter of being able to use my old stuff and get the FSLabs Airbus ASAP when released :-)

Otherwise, I would go P3Dv2.5 only, and wait for the upcoming patches for v3 and stability for that new platform...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Although I run with FSX:SE, P3D has a hardware mouse cursor, and FSX uses a software cursor. Dovetail has tweaked the cursor somewhat, but they weren't able to completely replace it with a hardware cursor which FSX desperately needs. FSX uses a 2D texture laid on top of a 3D environment. With P3D, the cursor is a 3D object already in the game world, so no performance hit there. So that's another advantage P3D has over FSX. Using some tools from Intel I managed to find this out.

If your system is for flightsim, you should have asked for advice here before getting your system.

I am getting 22-27 fps with the Iflyy 737and Taxi2Go KSEA scenery, fairly smooth as well.Santa is bringing a ne GPU.

Edited by n4gix
removed excessive quote, moved reply outside of quote box

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

I recently made the switch from FSX to FSX SE, and I'm very happy.  My system is five yrs old. I haven't reinstalled most of my old sceneries on SE, but I'm slowly installing high-quality ones like FSDT, FlightBeam, FlyTampa, and T2G.  I only use the PMDG 737 and 777 for flying and my other add-ons are ASN and DX10 Fixer.  My lowest FPS is around 20 on high quality sceneries with lots of cloud cover, but for the most part, they are 30 or higher.  In FSX, I was stuck at 15 FPS on the higher quality add-ons.  Also I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and FSX SE has not crashed and feels much smoother.

I'm debating taking the P3D plunge.  Maybe for Christmas?

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I would like to separate my Orbx FTX FSX system from my FSX:SE!  I think that when I started installing Orbx software scenery and two aircraft, that it ruined my FSX:Steam Edition (FSX:SE)!  I get errors galore when booting up either.  So I unchecked many, if not all, of the scenery files within "SETTINGS" in the FSX start-up screen that were linked to FSX:SE.  That seemed to help with the Orbx FSX system, which is much more favorable to me than FSX:SE!  (Although, today I tried running FSX:SE and it wouldn't show any aircraft to choose, or even function correctly!  The screen was black.)

What else can I do to either uninstall FSX:SE, or keep both Orbx FSX and FSX:SE?

What I'm trying to say, is I like the graphics and scenery that I get with Orbx FSX, but I don't want to just stop using FSX:SE.  Is there a way to configure both; to be used whenever I wish, without all the errors?

I've invested a great deal into both simulators, but FSX doesn't cost me dollars for data!  (It does not use Wi-Fi.  It is for off-line use.)  Each month my server (COX Cable) is going to charge me for downloads, streaming, etc.!  So they will start counting the data used while streaming FSX:SE, among everything else in my house (Wi-Fi)!

So they will start counting the data used while streaming FSX:SE

Why are you streaming it? Just let it install once. You don't need to be on-line once it is installed in any case, you can turn that off.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I recently made the switch from FSX to FSX SE, and I'm very happy.  My system is five yrs old. I haven't reinstalled most of my old sceneries on SE, but I'm slowly installing high-quality ones like FSDT, FlightBeam, FlyTampa, and T2G.  I only use the PMDG 737 and 777 for flying and my other add-ons are ASN and DX10 Fixer.  My lowest FPS is around 20 on high quality sceneries with lots of cloud cover, but for the most part, they are 30 or higher.  In FSX, I was stuck at 15 FPS on the higher quality add-ons.  Also I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and FSX SE has not crashed and feels much smoother.

I'm debating taking the P3D plunge.  Maybe for Christmas?

Go for it (P3D) and give yourself a very good present for Christmas, you'll never regret! and will ever miss FSX or FSX:SE.

More stable, lot more fluidity, and those shadows...!!! (and after you have it, you should try PTA).

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Go for it (P3D) and give yourself a very good present for Christmas, you'll never regret! and will ever miss FSX or FSX:SE.

More stable, lot more fluidity, and those shadows...!!! (and after you have it, you should try PTA).

Cheers, Ed

I took the Christmas plunge last year and have no regrets!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I would like to separate my Orbx FTX FSX system from my FSX:SE!  I think that when I started installing Orbx software scenery and two aircraft, that it ruined my FSX:Steam Edition (FSX:SE)!  I get errors galore when booting up either.  ..

What else can I do to either uninstall FSX:SE, or keep both Orbx FSX and FSX:SE?

What I'm trying to say, is I like the graphics and scenery that I get with Orbx FSX, but I don't want to just stop using FSX:SE.  Is there a way to configure both; to be used whenever I wish, without all the errors?

I'm not sure what you mean by Orbx FSX..

Do you have two FSX versions installed?  FSX-MS and FSX-SE?

Or just FSX-SE, with Orbx scenery?

If the latter, you should be able to run FSX-SE + Orbx scenery just fine together.

Bert

I took the Christmas plunge last year and have no regrets!

Sorry, saw your post and realized now that's from last year!. Time goes by quickly!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Cheers, Ed

FSX-SE has the same stability, fluid, same VAS management improvements, and now the same cloud shadow capability as P3D thanks to SteveFX DX10Fixer Cloud Shadow Addon just released. That for $165 to 185 (FSX-SE and Cloud Shadows) less then P3D if you already have DX10Fixer (Depending on if you buy FSX-SE when on sale). or $125 to $145 (FSX-SE, DX10Fixer, Cloud Shadows) less if you don't already have DX10Fixer. Plus you don't pay a premium for addons that have essentially the same functionality as FSX. Quite frankly the objective reasons for moving to P3D, keep getting narrower and narrower. Can you really tell me with a straight face, that justifies, a 575% markup (Unless you qualified for the Academic version) , not to mention the higher price for essentially the same addons. Also if you bought all versions of P3D since FSX Box demise. you have laid out $600 ($180.00 if Academic) In that same period I bought FSX-SE on sale for $5, DX10Fixer for $35, and Cloud Shadows for $12, and have close to the same functionality P3D has.

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d