Sign in to follow this  
SteveFx

Version 2.11

What weather did you have during your flight? Were there any clouds?

I just found out that the flicker is cloud-related. It's not there without cloud (I didn't know this because I always used real-world weather). It is also mountain-related. Obviously both has to be present and viewed side ways from a distance to produce the flicker. I don't know whether this is the same as "cloud flicker/shimmering" reported by other people. 

The flicker is there regardless camera mode, inside cockpit both 2d and 3d, or outside spot and locked spot views. It's only absent in top down view. Switching back to DX9 doesn't help. Does cloud flicker have a known solution? Could you point me to a source to get me going?

I use FS Global 2010 FTX compatible for mesh plus Orbx Global Base and Vector. I also suspected it's a mesh problem because it happed after I got the FSG2010 mesh. But I am not a computer guy and I just don't see why mesh could cause this.

The mesh defines the heights of the terrain and a high quality mesh has more points - therefore you can get sharper ridges - these might then be suffering z fighting with a cloud that is in the same vicinity - clouds in FSX are actually a set of rotating cards (aka billboards) - they aren't volumetric as in P3D.

So imagine a cloud not as a true "cloud"  but instead as a set of cards each with a picture of a cloud on - then a card can be either in front of or behind a sharp ridge.  As you rotate your view the card turns to face you and the way it intersects with a mountain can change.

I suspect that what you are seeing is a fundamental flaw in FSX.  Just google "fsx cloud mountain" and read some of the threads

However one further question are you using a  weather engine?   There may be some settings which have some effect.

I use ASN weather plus REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds. I have experimented with haze option in ASN but see no improvement. I will read up more on this, but probably will learn to live with it if no fix.

BTW, I couldn't find the DX10SF profiles, like default, steve HD, steve nonHD, etc., as you mentioned in the manual. I don't have public user in my computer (deleted all users to prevent complication). so are those profiles not installed? Do you have a link that I can download them?

Thank you very much for your help and explanation. It's rewarding for a non-computer guy like me to learn something about computers besides playing it. That's definitely part of the fun.

You are moving outside my experience!!  I have never heard or conceived of a PC without a public user - what would  CSIDL_APPDATA_COMMON then resolve to?

Did the fixer manage to install the libraries ok? 

The installer would try and put them in c:\users\public\documents\DX10SceneryFixer  - did it create that directory?

What product are you talking about????

Randy Smith

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Hello Steve;

Can the 2.11 version be installed over the existing 2.9? 

Many Thanks,

If you purchased from flight sim store see the pinned post below.

If you purchased from fastspring then the download URL you received gives you the latest version. However each time there is a new version the URL is only valid for about 3 weeks. If you find it doesn't work then send me an email to the support email in the manual (stevefsx@....) and I will reset it for you.