Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Using Photoscenery

I recently purchased an excellent Photo-realistic scenery of Israel. I'm very pleased with it but with one problem. I have the Aerosoft LLBG Ben Gurion airport. The airport continues to work fine but the surrounding scenery including the city has now vanished and all I have are some generic autogen buildings.

The airport and immediate area around it are fine - so I find it strange that the rest of the Tel Aviv area has been replaced by the photoscenery. I've tried changing priorities in scenery.cfg and it didn't do anything. 

The scenery files in the photoscenery addon are numbered and have no titles so there's no way of knowing which of them covers the Tel Aviv area and it would take forever removing them one by one to see if I can isolate the file that's over-riding Tel Aviv.

I'm just curious if anyone knows of a work-around that will allow the Aerosoft Tel Aviv scenery to show

Cheers

Ian

I just installed Megascenery Illinois and have same problem.I use my regular scenery till I reach 3000'then activate Megascenery.You might try that.Let me know what you think.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

It's worth a thought Ron, especially as often I'm just making a local flight... Thanks mate though hopefully there's a "silver bullet" that will solve both our problems without having to make temporary changes each time....

I am new to using photoreal and am evaluating pros and cons.Ron

I use Photoreal scenery extensively and you will have to decide for yourself if you can live with the cons of it.

Photoreal suppresses Autogen almost completely.    If your city is made from Autogen and not Custom scenery objects then it will vanish.    This includes any night lighting.    You will require a night lighting package such as Night Environment from Flight1 if you want to get lighting at night in most photoreal projects.   Stuff like Ultimate VFR already includes night lighting technology in their sceneries but MegaSceneryEarth does not and will require a 3rd party product.    You also won't get any seasons.  Most photoreal is based on Spring or Summer captured imagery.   Also, the size of photoreal can be staggering.    Just one state of MegasceneryEarth can run upward of 25gigs of drive space to install, not to mention you need a place to store the installers.   You will need big hard drives for this.

Despite all of these down sides, it is still my preferred type of scenery during spring and summer operations as you just can't beat having the real world under you.    Also, as a result of Autogen being suppressed, expect much better frame rates as the simulator no longer has to calculate all of those objects.   If you are a tube liner pilot, this scenery is for you.    GA guys would probably be better served with FTX Global/GEX with full Autogen and a Vector based product on top of that.  GA guys fly low and need Autogen to deliver the immersion factor.    At 40000 feet though, who cares about Autogen?    I'd rather have crisp sharp real world scenery scrolling below my 737/A320.

• Upvote 1

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Thanks for the lengthy explanation.Gives me good info and more to evaluate.Ron