Sign in to follow this  
MM

Canyons and More

Canyons, Buttes, Mesas and More

The Route          
Here is a flight over the canyons, buttes, mesas, lakes and deserts of the American Southwest.
No need for additional scenery, although having the FTX Global Freeware Airport Package is strongly recommended. The route includes two Orbx payware airports but these are not necessary.

KPRC  Prescott Love, KSEZ Sedona, KFLG Flagstaff Pulliam, KGCN Grand Canyon, KPGA Page Municipal, UT25 Monument Valley, KCEZ Cortez, KTEX Telluride Regional. Total 377 nm.

You may download the route, a pilot's guide, and some scenery details here.

Additional Scenery        
Strongly recommended are:
Orbx Global which provides textures of the southwest.

Orbx FTX Global Airports. This freeware package depicts many airports in North America and Europe. Included on our route are Prescott (KPRC), Sedona (KSEZ), Flagstaff (KFLG), Grand Canyon (KGCN), and Telluride (KTEX).

Grand Canyon (KGCN). An ab0solutely superb addition is the OZx Grand Canyon Scenery v2.0 package with mesh and photoscenery and a model of KGCN – by Antonio C. & Maurizio G. & Holger Sandmann. Freeware but of payware quality. This is very highly recommended. Get it at OZx here. To the OZx scenery, you might add Chuck Bosn's small elaboration of the resort area, El Tovar, and other bits. (FlightSim.com: ozxgrandcanyonaddins.zip.)

Page, Arizona (KPGA). There is an excellent freeware rendition of Page (KPGA) and Glen Canyon Dam (by kb sceneries). This package includes a nice photoreal setting. It is 224mb in size. For this week only, you can download it here.

In addition, highly recommended are these two payware sceneries. These are not necessary for the flight but they do add excellent atmospherics for those who can afford the luxury.

Sedona (KSEZ). Orbx payware by Jarrad Marshall. This is a truly beautiful setting with nicely rendered detail on the airfield. In the top tier of Orbx airports.

Monument Valley (UT25). Orbx (less expensive) payware by Frank Dainese. Dainese has done his usual artistry on an iconic "Western" setting. While we are scheduled to fly low and slow through the valley to admire the scenery, you may wish to forego the purchase and instead use your imagination.

Conflicts in the sceneries. If you are using Orbx Vector or addons for Sedona, Grand Canyon or Telluride, please see the instructions here.

Recommended aircraft
We shall use fast aircraft to cover the wide-open spaces that characterize the region. You might use aircraft such as the Beech King Air or Duke (Piston/Turbine), Cessna 340 or 404/F406/414, Pilatus PC-9 or PC-12,  Piper Malibu, Meridian, Navajo, or Cheyenne, or SOCATA TBM 700/850. Perhaps a warbird. Or maybe a small business jet. I shall fly the Carenado PC-12.

CS_KGCN_PC122.jpg

Date and time: Saturday 21st November, 1900 UTC

Where:
AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

(ATTN Ron Attwood. Please start the server time at 1300 local.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks, Mike, for the hints for the additional scenery for Grand Canyon and KPGA.  They're good additions.  Will check them out this afternoon.

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Hello fellow simmers, can anyone join? never done anything like this can someone direct me as to what to expect, ex. is there an order to taxi, formation and or landing? do you land and wait at every airport? Is this something for someone like me with mainly GA simple flying within fsx? I have many hours a lot of it on autopilot and gps. I see the signup sheet is full is there a limit? Do we talk to each other, or use default atc?sorry for all the questions I'm clueless. I use Blue Sky and Megascenery and ASN, will this work?

Ken

Ken Heibel

Hello fellow simmers, can anyone join? never done anything like this can someone direct me as to what to expect, ex. is there an order to taxi, formation and or landing? do you land and wait at every airport? Is this something for someone like me with mainly GA simple flying within fsx? I have many hours a lot of it on autopilot and gps. I see the signup sheet is full is there a limit? Do we talk to each other, or use default atc?sorry for all the questions I'm clueless. I use Blue Sky and Megascenery and ASN, will this work?

Ken

Greetings Ken,

Anyone is welcome to join us.  This post describes what is required to participate

http://www.avsim.com/topic/468958-rtwr-casual-flights-invitation-to-all/#entry3241863

We are a pretty informal group. We start at the first airport in the flightplan and usually land and takeoff from each airport until we reach the final destination airport.  We mostly fly GA but sometimes special aircraft are recommended such as bush or floatplane or warbird or whatever.  We try to choose aircraft that are roughly the same cruise speed.  Most of us use Orbx scenery but it is not a requirement.  If you like BlueSky and Megascenery that is fine.  ASN is perfectly OK.  Thats what I use but some folks prefer Opus or RealWx.  Weather engine is up to you.  The key thing is that you will need a headset (or speakers & microphone) to use Teamspeak.  Teamspeak is how we communicate in the multiplayer session.  

One more thing,  we use the built in Microsoft FSX multiplayer and it does not work with FSX-Steam Edition or P3D, so you need to run the Microsoft version of FSX not the Steam Edition.

I hope you can join us.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Mike,  Strange, but I don't find any evidence of the Freeware entries for Sedona.  Did the payware installer for Sedona delete them, or did I look in the wrong place?  I looked in the ...\FTX_FTXG_Airports\Scenery but didn't find those .bgl files you referenced.  At any rate Sedona has always displayed correctly when I've flown there, so I'm not too worried.

Stew

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

I think that when you install the payware Sedona, the installer deletes the FTX Global Freeware scenery. (However, if you update or re-install the freeware package, you may discover that the Global Freeware Sedona reappears. That happened to me. So just a warning to look. If the KSEZ files are not in your setup's freeware folder, then no worries.)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

This all looks very exciting! Mind you, I'm easily excited these days. :Party:

Hope you can join us Ken. If you can, join TS a bit early and we can hold your hand while you get sorted.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

An extra bonus.

The Airport's Mesa Grill is the successor to Stretch Madden's original establishment. It may have moved slightly upscale. The kind folks there have agreed to provide box lunches for all concerned. Be sure to look for their volunteers on the tarmac.

Mesa_Grill_Airside_Exterior_360.jpg

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Thanks Ron, setting up teamspeak now, looking forward to the flight, so going to teamspeak is the first thing to-do before FS? Do I need to set up a plane or can that be done Saturday?

Ken Heibel

Thanks Ron, setting up teamspeak now, looking forward to the flight, so going to teamspeak is the first thing to-do before FS? Do I need to set up a plane or can that be done Saturday?

Patience dear boy. All will be revealed. Actually, you could join me on TeamSpeak before Saturday and we could get you all squared away. I'm on BST(Z) Michigan is Central? If you can get on TS at about 2:30-3:00pm your time...

EDIT: Ah! You're on EST...Just! 19:30 UDT, you work it out. :wink:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.