Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

Knowing the Right Altitude to Capture the Glideslope?

Hi guys,

I'm learning to fly the PMDG 777-200 at the moment and I did a flight from EGCN (Doncaster Sheffield, UK) to LEIB (Ibiza, Spain).

I'm fine with the ground config and takeoff etc..., but I wanted to know how I find out the correct altitude I have to be at when I want to capture the Glideslope when trying to perform an ILS approach.

I usually set this to around 3500ft which works fine in the 737-800, however in the 777 this left me way too high, causing me to have to manually descend and land even though the Localiser was captured and Approach Mode switched on.

How do I find out the correct altitude I need to be at in order to capture both the Localiser and the Glideslope correctly? Would this be on the airport charts by any chance?

Cheers!

-YorkiesWorld

You need to be below the glideslope in order to capture it. This varies depending on how far you are from the runway. That info will be on the charts. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Specifically it is found on the approach plates (charts). Not sure where to get those for UK airports, though.

Chris

You're going to want to intercept the glide slope at the Final Approach Fix (FAF). This altitude varies and is dependent on a number of factors, and there are many excellent resources available on youtube/google that teach how to properly read approach charts. 

You need to be below the glideslope in order to capture it. This varies depending on how far you are from the runway. That info will be on the charts. 

You're going to want to intercept the glide slope at the Final Approach Fix (FAF). This altitude varies and is dependent on a number of factors, and there are many excellent resources available on youtube/google that teach how to properly read approach charts. 

Thanks guys, so according to the charts for runway 06 below, am I right in reading the altitude for this as 2000 feet? Or am I looking at the wrong figure? It shows ILS and LOC as 2000?

7FLhDi9.png

-YorkiesWorld

Hi guys,

I'm learning to fly the PMDG 777-200 at the moment and I did a flight from EGCN (Doncaster Sheffield, UK) to LEIB (Ibiza, Spain).

I'm fine with the ground config and takeoff etc..., but I wanted to know how I find out the correct altitude I have to be at when I want to capture the Glideslope when trying to perform an ILS approach.

I usually set this to around 3500ft which works fine in the 737-800, however in the 777 this left me way too high, causing me to have to manually descend and land even though the Localiser was captured and Approach Mode switched on.

How do I find out the correct altitude I need to be at in order to capture both the Localiser and the Glideslope correctly? Would this be on the airport charts by any chance?

Cheers!

-YorkiesWorld

just Google, came up with 2000' for rwy 06 and 2200 for r 24,

you need to see the approach for each rwy.

bob

I see you found it,

Look at the sample approach plate. Inside the red circle there is a symbol for glideslop intercept altitude. It is not necessarily has to be FAF  

N0gxBcz.png

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

The Maltese cross denotes the FAF on USA charts at least.

I'd say 2000 is the altitude you'd fly at... ATC would vector you outside the FAF and probably at 2000, if terrain and obstacles allow it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The Maltese cross denotes the FAF on USA charts at least.

I'd say 2000 is the altitude you'd fly at... ATC would vector you outside the FAF and probably at 2000, if terrain and obstacles allow it

Its a lightning bolt that denote glideslope intercept 

In your example SHAKE is the FAF and denoted by the Maltese cross (that is the official name). Maybe you're discussing something else?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For a 3° GS which is the norm, When you follow the glide you descent 300 feet per nautical Milles. That means that "usually"you intercept the glide(Always by under) at 10NM and 3000 feet. Of course the altitude of interception can depend of airports but always in the relation of 300 feet/ NM for 3° GS! 

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Perhaps this can help -

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwjnnZewrZjJAhWSoogKHdDpAGA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsunairexpress.com%2Fimages%2FHow_to_Read_Approach_Plates.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG2rFeRfaOOdJ28CGgm7HOIwXCiNQ&sig2=b96UWO_Wj5kMRw5aLHuyfw&bvm=bv.107763241,d.cGU

In reality you cannot just wander around the sky under instrument conditions trying to find a place to land. Either you are under the control of ATC or you are flying a published approach. IAC, when ATC hands you off to complete the approach, you will need the approach plate handy. Ideally, you will have made yourself familiar with the procedure BEFORE flying it.

Learn the symbols and notations - all the info you need is there.

Just a suggestion - learn to fly IFR in a small a/c before you jump into the tubes. I know we all want to jump right in and be an airline captain but just learning how to push a few buttons without understanding what you are doing won't help when you get into a situation you don't understand.

Of course, in P3D you have the reset button.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

In your example SHAKE is the FAF and denoted by the Maltese cross (that is the official name). Maybe you're discussing something else?

Glideslope intercept symbol (denoted as lightning) and FAF symbol (Maltese cross) are two different things. Does it make sense? 

sacils2.jpg

Perhaps this can help -

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCIQFjABahUKEwjnnZewrZjJAhWSoogKHdDpAGA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsunairexpress.com%2Fimages%2FHow_to_Read_Approach_Plates.pdf&usg=AFQjCNG2rFeRfaOOdJ28CGgm7HOIwXCiNQ&sig2=b96UWO_Wj5kMRw5aLHuyfw&bvm=bv.107763241,d.cGU

In reality you cannot just wander around the sky under instrument conditions trying to find a place to land. Either you are under the control of ATC or you are flying a published approach. IAC, when ATC hands you off to complete the approach, you will need the approach plate handy. Ideally, you will have made yourself familiar with the procedure BEFORE flying it.

Learn the symbols and notations - all the info you need is there.

Just a suggestion - learn to fly IFR in a small a/c before you jump into the tubes. I know we all want to jump right in and be an airline captain but just learning how to push a few buttons without understanding what you are doing won't help when you get into a situation you don't understand.

Of course, in P3D you have the reset button.

Vic

Another suggestion is to get a program like Pro ATX and you can practice STARs and SIDs. on every flight as well as ILS and RNAV and VOR approaches with ATC telling you where you need to be. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

As a general, non-official, totally unrealistic rule of thumb that I tend to use when flying casually (offline) and when I don't have the appropriate charts: I aim to intercept the LOC at a distance of 8-10 NM and at altitude 2200-2500 ft above airport elevation assuming the surrounding terrain allows it.

• Upvote 1