Sign in to follow this  
airernie

ERJ-145 speed issues

I recently purchased the FeelThere Regional Jets package.  I really like the ERJ, but (perhaps being a newbie to jets) I'm having some issues.

I've already posted a few questions on the FeelThere forum, but I'm hoping there are more ERJ drivers who frequent AVSIM.

I am having severe speed issues with the ERJ.  I have yet to achieve a .53M climb or .74M cruise.  If I can hit 250kts on the climb I'm doing great.  The tutorial in the manual mentions getting to FL280 in 12 minutes.  I flew from KMEM to KSDF yesterday and was never able to reach FL290 before hitting TOD. 

I've noticed that when using the FLC mode I get a 400fpm climb rate.. That may be just a bit to comfortable for my passengers.  However, if I use SPD instead and bump it up, my airspeed drops.

N1 is running about 90%, with the throttle to the metal.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I've sat a type course for the 145, and the FeelThere model is fairly close to the real jet in terms of climb performance. FLC climb mode should give you 240 KIAS to 10,000', then 270 KIAS to 0.55 Mach on up. It will take a while to get up to the higher altitudes, especially the 30s, and will take a while to accelerate once you get up there. 

The question is, what is your gross weight? If you're near max gross you may want to level off in the mid-20's , especially if you're going on a short leg. I've seen flight plans that kept 145's down as low as 15,000 on shorter flights. 

Joe Sherrill

I've 100+ flights in that jet - something's not right. Confirm flaps retracted and no accidental spoiler deployment. Try a flight with zero payload and half fuel, see how that goes.

Hans Soule

ExNusquam is exactly right on the climb speeds. Remember to switch from knots to mach no on the speed control as soon as you get around mach .56. As I recall, you can also use IAS instead of FLC and adjust the speeds to the above schedule.

The FMC has a neat feature in the performance pages - after you have done all the other entries, go back to Fuel and type "FUEL". It will calculate the needed fuel based on the flight plan. Caution - be sure to check the enroute weather and enter the winds, especially if there is a head wind.

Dale

Thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Is there a way to determine an appropriate flight level, or is it mostly preference?

Ernest Pergrem

Thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Is there a way to determine an appropriate flight level, or is it mostly preference?

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level.

And here's a link to some real world ERJ145 flight data where you can browse actual flights altitudes: http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/E145

Hans Soule

Thanks.

It appears that if I stay away from modifying passengers and cargo in the ERJ Configuration then I can get some pretty decent climb speeds.

I tried an empty plane last night and this morning used the payload/fuel options within FSX to load 45 passengers and 2200 pounds of cargo.

In both cases I got far better climb rates than I had been experiencing.

Perhaps the FeelThere load manager is more accurate, but at least if I leave it a zero passengers and cargo it I can get to FS290 in a decent time.

It really is an enjoyable plane.  Well...once the learning curve flattens out a bit. :-)

Thanks for the help.

Start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level.

And here's a link to some real world ERJ145 flight data where you can browse actual flights altitudes: http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/E145

Thank you .. I appreciate it.

Ernest Pergrem