Sign in to follow this  
markmco

P3D v3, Smooth Takeoff then Stutters, Beeps and Requires Power Down

Finally took the 2nd plunge with P3D v3 Pro the other day.  I realize how major of an update it is, so wanted to start off very slowly.

Saitek panels didn't work, but stock aircraft and overall performance = excellent.  No problems for a few days, so I took the plunge and installed SPAD.  The panels came alive and all was well.  Absolutely amazing.  Left it alone for several days of test flights.  Not a problem.

Today, I installed ASN w/ SP4 Beta.  Unfortunately, things went downhill very, very quickly.  Let me preface this with the fact that ASN (and 2012 before it) is such an amazing program, I really wanted it in P3D.  And yes, SP4 IS BETA, so I'm not trying to 'blame' anyone.  I am, however, trying to find an answer without re-installing the OS.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Once the stuttering starts, I hear repeating beeps, almost like an outer marker, but lower in pitch.  My mouse starts to drag across the screen.  Before I can pull up task manager, the system is unresponsive to clicks, but does keep beeping and flying slower.  Even control-alt-delete is not available.

This could be SPAD not liking something ASN installed?  I did a complete uninstall of ASN, rebooted, but the problem remains.  Interesting that ASN remains as an option in P3D even after it has been removed and system rebooted.

Anyone run into this?  I wouldn't think of using a migration tool, so besides ASN and SPAD, it's a completely stock install.  Any ideas are appreciated before doing a major re-install of the whole system.

Thanks!

Mark

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

Do you have the Saitek Trim Wheel?

It's known to cause this issue with Prepar3D v3.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yes, I have this too using saitek controls from time to time. It is related to the current Windows 8 drivers saitek have out. I have stopped using the trim wheel for now and can mostly fly without issues. Certainly not due to asn.

Chris

Ah... I am using the (Saitek/Cessna licensed) trim wheel. I could do without it and really hope that's all it is. Surprisingly, it worked without a hitch for two long days of flights. Anyway, will post back tonight with results.

PS: Used to use the Saitek autopilot panel trim in FSX. It works in P3D, but super slow. Must be a way to get it to 'normal' speed in P3D.

Thanks for the response.

Best,

Mark

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

I love ASN but I do find that it causes stutters when it updates. I have since toned down the settings a lot in ASN and seperated the update intervals much further apart. It helps!

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I love ASN but I do find that it causes stutters when it updates. I have since toned down the settings a lot in ASN and seperated the update intervals much further apart. It helps!

Never had a problem with ASN and stutters. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Me neither. I update every 5 min with no issues.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Every now and then on initiating a flight, if stutters set in, I jump out to the task manager to see what process is causing it, and I have found it to usually be ASN. Since i lessened some of the settings in ASN, it has been less frequent.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Mark, I get this with the Saitek trim wheel too but it is easy to 'fix'. Just spin the wheel a couple of times before starting the sim so that Windows recognises it (should hear a sound from Windows) and then you can use it without a hitch from then on. You just have to remember to always give it a spin before entering the sim.

Cheers

Stu

Stuart Furley

Another 'fix' for Saitek Trim Wheel is to have it disconnected while you are starting Windows. Only then connect it.

This always solves my problem.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Yea, no problem for me with the "wheel" after a few spins.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Thanks for the tips!

I didn't get to try this out yet, but will tonight. Really hoping that's the fix, because P3D ran SO smooth up to that point.

Best,

Mark

Best Regards,

Mark

Myself and others have reported the issue (Saitek Trim Wheel) to LM, they were able to replicate ... not sure who's going to be responsible for fix and/or coming up with some work around solution.

But in the meantime, the best thing to do is bring up your joystick configuration after starting your PC and BEFORE you run P3D.  Once you have the joystick configuration screen up, select the Trim Wheel and try to calibrate it.  It's very likely it will close the calibration window the first time you move the wheel ... not to worry, open the calibration window again and you should now have a functioning Trim wheel with registered readings.

IMHO, this is a driver issue given that there is a problem just trying to configure the device at the OS level without any interaction at all with P3D.  The problem was present in V2.x series but it's impact was less serious, in V3 it causes beeps and stutters and other issues.

I've actually moved onto a GoFlight LGTII for my rudder, elevator and aileron trim wheels ... no issues with P3D V3.

Cheers, Rob.

I've had a similar problem on 2 flights.  Do not have Saitek trim wheel but do have Saitek Pro pedals.  Starts with controls not responding (have PFC yoke and throttle console) then mouse jumping and tones.  Controls run through FSUIPC.  Have to shut down computer to correct.

Steve Giblin

for those resorting to toning down ASN, another way to really tone down ASN without lessing the settings too much is to get pawaare  processlasso

ASN - Set lower process priority

Set lower IO priority

Set lower Memory priority

Set CPU cores used by ASN to what is free after your P3d affinity mask

That tames ASN quite well for me, plus I set the update interval to max (30mins), prefer smooth flight to up-to-date weather.

But  every simmer should have the swiss army knife called ProcessLasso.

My favourite hobby during cruise is checking lasso to see process using up CPU and taming them.

I don't get stutters, also using SSD in raid mode for System and P3d  drive, you need fast drivers for this not just cpu/gpu. Just make sure fastest drive is set as your OS drive. ASN can be quite disk intensive too during updates.