Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Scenery/texture slow loading

Hi!

So when flying around in Norway with FTX Norway installed i notice the textures look bad far away, but gets a little bit better when approaching them. But it doesnt get better til im right above it or close to the ground. I would say its a slow loading time for the textures to appear. I got the following settings inside V3:

Graphics

http://i.imgur.com/wM9QDAJ.png

Scenery

http://i.imgur.com/AQQnCZu.png

Lighting

http://i.imgur.com/6jWkZmY.png

Weather

http://i.imgur.com/L9dmDST.png

Is there something in the settings, config, bios or video card i can change so the textures loads to a clear image far away instead of right where im flying? It kinda ruins the realism and view.

Im running P3D v3 with MSI GeForce GTX980 4GB and Intel Core i7-4790K + Windows 7.

Put your "level of detail radius" on max, your computer should be able to handle this. This option is the famous "LOD_RADIUS=6.500000" thingy already used in FSX. While the value "4.5" was the max FSX menue offered, the max in P3Dv3 is now "6.5". However, personally I find "6.5" in P3Dv3 worse than "6.5" in FSX, so you might increase this value in your Preapr3d.cfg even further, to 7.5, 8.5 or even 9.5. BUT: I honestly not know it P3Dv3 accepts any value higher than 6.5, so it would be a try and error. AND: the load dramatically increases when increasing this value. So you might run into different problems, as soon as you increase it. Up to you.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

BUT: I honestly not know it P3Dv3 accepts any value higher than 6.5, so it would be a try and error. 

No, it doesn't.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi!

So when flying around in Norway with FTX Norway installed i notice the textures look bad far away, but gets a little bit better when approaching them. But it doesnt get better til im right above it or close to the ground. I would say its a slow loading time for the textures to appear. I got the following settings inside V3:

Graphics

http://i.imgur.com/wM9QDAJ.png

Scenery

http://i.imgur.com/AQQnCZu.png

Lighting

http://i.imgur.com/6jWkZmY.png

Weather

http://i.imgur.com/L9dmDST.png

Is there something in the settings, config, bios or video card i can change so the textures loads to a clear image far away instead of right where im flying? It kinda ruins the realism and view.

Im running P3D v3 with MSI GeForce GTX980 4GB and Intel Core i7-4790K + Windows 7.

Try locking your frame rate to 30 and reduce the texture resolution to 1024 and see if there is any improvement.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks for the help guys.

I put the level of detail radius to max, texture resolution to 1024 and locked fps at 30. Then loaded up Tromso X with FTX Norway.

This is how the mountains around are looking when zooming in:

http://i.imgur.com/hYg2Tt5.jpg

Is that how the FTX Norway textures are suppose to look like? Because that looks really bad.

@Michael Moe. I cant really tell, but i think yours look better?

Edit: When flying around the mountains in Tromsø, i can see more of the textures unfolding as im get closer. Like the texture gets clearer. But that is kinda annoying, because it looks like flickers around me when getting closer.. and that ruins the view. Why isnt the texture already loaded when im getting closer? No fix for that, or do i have to fine tune the settings? But i have no idea where to start with that.

I think you have to read something about how texture and LOD works in P3D or FSX. All what the engine does is trying to use the highest LOD (highest texture resolution) in close range to your aircraft. You can not simply zoom somewhere and hope, that miles away from your aircraft, the terrain is covered with the fully resolved textures. Just imagine, your sim would have to load whole Norway using the full resolution textures. This would certainly put you down to 2-3FPS and seconds later the 4GB VAS memory limit would be exceeded. So, to have a fluent, smooth gameplay still offering you the best possible texture resolution around your plane, the sim MUST use LODs, meaning textures with lower resolution for terrain further away. And of course, if you start zooming around to observe a mountain far away from your aircraft position, you will always realize that there, the lower resolution textures are used...

Greetings, Chris

Thanks for the help guys.

I put the level of detail radius to max, texture resolution to 1024 and locked fps at 30. Then loaded up Tromso X with FTX Norway.

This is how the mountains around are looking when zooming in:

http://i.imgur.com/hYg2Tt5.jpg

Is that how the FTX Norway textures are suppose to look like? Because that looks really bad.

@Michael Moe. I cant really tell, but i think yours look better?

Edit: When flying around the mountains in Tromsø, i can see more of the textures unfolding as im get closer. Like the texture gets clearer. But that is kinda annoying, because it looks like flickers around me when getting closer.. and that ruins the view. Why isnt the texture already loaded when im getting closer? No fix for that, or do i have to fine tune the settings? But i have no idea where to start with that.

That doesnt look quite good .

On the monitor i am at right now i cant tell my own images as well , way to dark  :Tounge:

I will post some later 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I think you have to read something about how texture and LOD works in P3D or FSX. All what the engine does is trying to use the highest LOD (highest texture resolution) in close range to your aircraft. You can not simply zoom somewhere and hope, that miles away from your aircraft, the terrain is covered with the fully resolved textures. Just imagine, your sim would have to load whole Norway using the full resolution textures. This would certainly put you down to 2-3FPS and seconds later the 4GB VAS memory limit would be exceeded. So, to have a fluent, smooth gameplay still offering you the best possible texture resolution around your plane, the sim MUST use LODs, meaning textures with lower resolution for terrain further away. And of course, if you start zooming around to observe a mountain far away from your aircraft position, you will always realize that there, the lower resolution textures are used...

I see your point. But the textures shouldnt load right about when im above it? Because like i said, it ruins the view when 'new' blocks with goodlooking textures keeps popping up.

@Michael Moe I agree, it was too dark :P

Yes. Imagine that for the graphics engine, it is always like when you use the top down sight on your airplane. The slider in the options called "level of detail radius" now defines, how big the radius of the imaginary circle around the spot exactly below your aircraft is. In this circle, the sim loads the textures with their highest quality. Further away, meaning outside the circle, the engine loads gradually textures with lower and lower resolution, until very far away, only big coloured patches are loaded. Now, if your plane moves, the engine tries to maintain the circle constantly updated with the max texture resolution. The faster you move, the harder this task gets for the engine, the more ressources are needed. That is why you can easily overload your computer resulting in blurried textures (basically this means only that the engine is not capable of loading the higher resolved textures fast enough...) as soon as you start to play around with "bufferpools", "fiber_frame_time_fraction", "affinitymask" and "texture_max_load" without really knowing what those "tweaks" do and how it is related to your hardware. Lucky for us, most mid to highend computers of today are capable of running those settings really high, so playing around has less impact now, as even if you completely mistweak your config, your computer might be able to handle it.

Then, in addition to this, the graphics engine does not consider your direction of view into this calculations. That's why it is basically irrelevant in which direction you look, the circle (LOD radius) underneath your plane remains the same. So, in contrast to some other graphics engine capable of loading higher resolution textures in your field of view, the graphics engine of neither FSX or P3D is capable of doing this. Because of this limitation, you can zoom into a specific direction and look at lower resolution textures.

Long story short: there is nothing you can do about this as soon as you already use max settings on a decent computer (what you have). The only thing which might improve the fact that you obviously see the loading of the higher resolution ground textures is to lower the settings except the terrain radius a notch, like that you take load from your computer and it might be able to load the textures faster. That's all you can do.

Greetings, Chris

Yes. Imagine that for the graphics engine, it is always like when you use the top down sight on your airplane. The slider in the options called "level of detail radius" now defines, how big the radius of the imaginary circle around the spot exactly below your aircraft is. In this circle, the sim loads the textures with their highest quality. Further away, meaning outside the circle, the engine loads gradually textures with lower and lower resolution, until very far away, only big coloured patches are loaded. Now, if your plane moves, the engine tries to maintain the circle constantly updated with the max texture resolution. The faster you move, the harder this task gets for the engine, the more ressources are needed. That is why you can easily overload your computer resulting in blurried textures (basically this means only that the engine is not capable of loading the higher resolved textures fast enough...) as soon as you start to play around with "bufferpools", "fiber_frame_time_fraction", "affinitymask" and "texture_max_load" without really knowing what those "tweaks" do and how it is related to your hardware. Lucky for us, most mid to highend computers of today are capable of running those settings really high, so playing around has less impact now, as even if you completely mistweak your config, your computer might be able to handle it.

Then, in addition to this, the graphics engine does not consider your direction of view into this calculations. That's why it is basically irrelevant in which direction you look, the circle (LOD radius) underneath your plane remains the same. So, in contrast to some other graphics engine capable of loading higher resolution textures in your field of view, the graphics engine of neither FSX or P3D is capable of doing this. Because of this limitation, you can zoom into a specific direction and look at lower resolution textures.

Long story short: there is nothing you can do about this as soon as you already use max settings on a decent computer (what you have). The only thing which might improve the fact that you obviously see the loading of the higher resolution ground textures is to lower the settings except the terrain radius a notch, like that you take load from your computer and it might be able to load the textures faster. That's all you can do.

Thank you, that made alot more sense. Will experiment a little with the settings and see if i can get a smooth texture loading :)

If anyone have more tips, bring it on!

Did you ever resolve this? I've got exactly the same problem and it's driving me mad!!