Sign in to follow this  
sidh

Question before I invest into New Computer for P3DV3

Hello everyone,

I have spent countless money on FSX in hope of getting it smooth but could not.
Since new P3D V3 looks promising I have decided to upgrade my current PC which is.:

I7 2600K @ 4.2 Ghz

GTX 680

8GB DDR-III

But with this PC that I currently have ,P3D fails to perform with High end addons like - PMDG,ASN,REX4.I get about 20 FPS and addons airports it's as less as 12-15 )

So after watching youtube videos on new RIGs where P3D V3 performs much better

My new Upgrad shall  be

I7 4970K

GTX980 (4GB)

16GB RAM

However I still  doubt if I upgrade , It(FPS) will not be siginificantly improved. I remember few months back when People used to say get i7 2600k series and its smooth as anything but No.

Will the above requirements promise me to give @least 25-30 FPS LOCKED  with All high end addons & settings to High?I cannot composite visuals .

Is having a Smooth NON LAGGY sim a myth?

Low FPS -  Simulation experience ruined for me .

Please help me out

Thanks in Advance ... (People with same RIGs as above can guide me better or any one expert in it)

Best regards

1y329d.jpg

My recommendation would be to go for the Skylake 6700K instead of the 4970K. You will also benefit from all the other features that the associated new motherboards now offer.

Also, I would recommend either getting the GTX 980TI or just getting a GTX 970 (what I have) and overclocking it (as it can reach almost the same speed as the GTX980 but considerably less expensive. You could always get the 970 and use the extra cash to get the 6700K.

Also with the new Nvidia Pascal video cards coming in 2016, we will be moving to 16GB  (up to 32GB) of VRAM and a host of other big jumps (apparently) so probably there is no point in over investing in the graphics card at this stage of the year.

My two cents  :smile:

• Upvote 2

My recommendation would be to go for the Skylake 6700K instead of the 4970K. You will also benefit from all the other features that the associated new motherboards now offer.

Also, I would recommend either getting the GTX 980TI or just getting a GTX 970 (what I have) and overclocking it (as it can reach almost the same speed as the GTX980 but considerably less expensive. You could always get the 970 and use the extra cash to get the 6700K.

Also with the new Nvidia Pascal video cards coming in 2016, we will be moving to 16GB  (up to 32GB) of VRAM and a host of other big jumps (apparently) so probably there is no point in over investing in the graphics card at this stage of the year.

I second that. Very good advise on all points. However, even with this system you shouldn't expect to get 30 fps with all add-ons and high settings in every situation. It's always a matter of selecting reasonable settings for the specific add-ons you want to use. Then you will get very good performance with the new system.

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Out of curiosity, why at 6700K and not a 6600K?

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

[quote name="steve310002" post="3327952" timestamp="1447931057

Also, I would recommend either getting the GTX 980TI or just getting a GTX 970 (what I have) and overclocking it (as it can reach almost the same speed as the GTX980 but considerably less expensive.

My two cents :smile:

OT - but do you use evga Precision for this? What settings do you use?

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have this exact specs. With everything maxed out you won´t have 30 fps stable. In big cities (or over lots of vegetation) you will face some slideshow. 

• Upvote 1

I have the same specs you want to upgrade to. Running PMDG 737NGX with ASN, REX 4 Texture Direct and FTX Norway with most of the sliders to the right. I still not been under 25 fps and everything is as smooth as it can be (except from textures can be a little slow loading, but trying to fix that atm)

• Upvote 1

I would not buy a thing, until the new nVidia Pascal cards come out next year,  mid year?....

They will blow away, anything that has come before them...and the tech puts to bed, any chance of having a GPU bottlenect/driver crash issue, ever again, in any flight sim.

I'm waiting for the 16 or 32 GB model...around next May or June...and then I will retire the GTX680 to my son.  I knew there was a reason to my GPU upgrade procrastinating....and I just read what it was today.  The Pascal cards will be truly revolutionary...., don't spend a dollar until then...would be my recommendation.....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898175/nvidias-next-gen-pascal-gpu-will-offer-10x-the-performance-of-titan-x-8-way-sli.html

• Upvote 1

I would not buy a thing, until the new nVidia Pascal cards come out next year,  mid year?....

They will blow away, anything that has come before them...and the tech puts to bed, any chance of having a GPU bottlenect/driver crash issue, ever again, in any flight sim.

I'm waiting for the 16 or 32 GB model...around next May or June...and then I will retire the GTX680 to my son.  I knew there was a reason to my GPU upgrade procrastinating....and I just read what it was today.  The Pascal cards will be truly revolutionary...., don't spend a dollar until then...would be my recommendation.....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898175/nvidias-next-gen-pascal-gpu-will-offer-10x-the-performance-of-titan-x-8-way-sli.html

The Pascal cards will be a game changer for sure, however upgrading every 3 months is possible with no money lost using the Evga step up program. Google it and see for yourself, its really a good way to stay on top of tech.

• Upvote 1

The Pascal cards will be a game changer for sure, however upgrading every 3 months is possible with no money lost using the Evga step up program. Google it and see for yourself, its really a good way to stay on top of tech.

I'll look at that. :)

I was about to pull the trigger on a GTX980Ti...but I mean..wow.....reading today about Pascal...for sure I am waiting. This sounds just like what I wanted...especially for XPX...

Again, pretty excited to see this come into the store....:)

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

I would ignore all the pascal talk for a few reasons.

Firstly pascal is suffering from the usual pre release 'this will change everything hype' that every generation of graphics card suffers from 6-12 months before they come out. I'm sure it will be good - I'm interested in improving my performance just as much as anyone - just don't get carried away.

Secondly it is slated for mid 2016 at the earliest, hardware is often delayed so you can easily end up falling into the just wait another few months trap. There will always be something better in a few months. Chances are it will be delayed.

Thirdly all the talk of 16 gig....it is up to 16 gig which means the new titan equivalent will come with 16gig and a thousand pound price tag. Maybe you have the budget for that - I don't know.

Overall I'm sure it will be a great chip for the next generation of GeForce but I'd wait and get the second wave of cards. They will be cheaper and faster with more memory. Just like with the 900 series and every other release ever. Who knows - amd might pull something out of the bag! :)

What I would do now is get a 900 series graphics card which is more than enough if you are running at 1080p with your current chip.

Maybe overclock your current cpu a bit more. It should be very capable even today. On one of my systems I have an old 2500k running at 4.7 and Im struggling to justify upgrading it as it isn't actually that much slower than the newer stuff which often doesn't clock aswell.

This will give you instant performance now and also you will have all that system money available for a year or more down the line when there really will be a big jump to be had. Maybe we will be closer to needing all that vram with prepar3d 64bit!

Don't think I'm anti pascal, I can't wait for them. I just think a 900 series will give you what you need now. I can run 4K with 2 970s on a 2500k at locked 30fps easily. Even at oom inducing slider levels with all the usual asn, precipitfx, atc, orbx etc etc. Not sure sli is giving me any benefit at the moment with v3 either so don't read too much into the fact I have 2 of them. The only thing that pulls it sub 30 is the 737ng at a complex airport.

Chris

• Upvote 1

The GPUs aren't really the issue with P3D. Now that nVidia has created an SLI profile--and that LM has made more refinements to that architecture with P3Dv3--you can have as much GPU performance as your bank account allows... and now, for that matter. And as with all operational improvements, you then simply move the bottleneck elsewhere. And in P3D's case, the CPU. And even a 6700k OCed to 5GHz won't help you in a PMDG craft over NYC with even modest amounts of autogen and AI. There is no CPU on the market that will you get you everything you want so, that being the case, buy as much CPU as you can afford. For me, at least, I always find that the settings I like to max out stress the CPU (autogen, AI, LOD, etc.). For the GPU, it almost always just comes down to clouds and the amount of SGSS anti-aliasing, which I'll turn down if needed...

And that's kind of where I see a catch-22 with X-Plane. It's so much more GPU-dependent yet doesn't support SLI.

• Upvote 1

I agree with this as well. The jury is still out on how much better the 6700K is over the 4970K, but going with the 6700K and a Z170 board will give you a good system now with more options for later.

I also like the idea of saving the money by going with the GTX 970 overclocked. I have a GTX970 overclocked from Gigabyte and it was a great value for the performance I got. New GPUs are always coming, so save now to buy later. :smile:

This is all coming from an someone playing Prepar3D on an AMD CPU who'd love to be able to afford the upgrade to an Intel CPU. :vava:

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions,

So right now I have 2 options either to wait till next year or get GTX 970 with 6700K series and Z170 board but since I will be very busy with ATPL exams next year for now I might go with 6700K,OCd GTX970 and Z170 board... Is any one currently owning the 6700k here??

1y329d.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions,

So right now I have 2 options either to wait till next year or get GTX 970 with 6700K series and Z170 board but since I will be very busy with ATPL exams next year for now I might go with 6700K,OCd GTX970 and Z170 board... Is any one currently owning the 6700k here??

I am very happy with my new build.

6700k @ 4.8

ASUS Z170 Maximus Hero

2 x GTX 970's

Win 10

Runs 4K very well.

Cheers