Sign in to follow this  
megapixle

Getting back into flight sim after 10 years, need system advice

I've not been in a position time and resource wise for quite a while to be able to tinker with MSFS. I'll be buying a new PC for casual simming. I've already purchased FSXSE. I have a limited budget and don't have the time, ability, or interest really in building my own machine.

For about $1k I have the option of purchasing a big-brand, pre-built machine.

Option 1) Intel 4790k + GeForce 980ti

Option 2) Intel 6700k + GeForce 970

Either will come with 16GB RAM.

I'll likely only be gaming on a single 1080p monitor. Maybe a 2nd monitor down the road.

From my research it seems like the newer, faster processor with the cheaper graphics card would provide a smoother flying experience. Thus I'm leaning towards Option 2. Can somebody confirm?

Thank you for your advice!

• Upvote 1

GeForce 970 it a great card for flight Simulation! 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I'd go with option 2 also.  In some parts of the world (maybe all of them) the 6700K is in short supply so prices may be a little higher than they should be.  If you look around other threads on the forums, there's talk of a new Nvidia card in 2016 that may be signifcantly better than anything we have now ("Pascal"), so it might be worth just getting "enough to keep you going".  And I've had nothing but a good experience with my 970.

Thank you everybody for the polite and helpful responses. It's nice to be treated nicely on my first post. :)

Option 2 it is.

To be honest, regarding Pascal, I tend to avoid this "just wait a few months" scenario. There is always something new around the corner. Just waiting a few more months for something better allays applies. You could wait forever.

There's always considerable hype too regarding new kit.

Regarding the  "just wait a few months" scenario,  I agree with Martin 

I'm politely holding my hand out here to be slapped and corrected But would option 1 not be better,  the 4790 k is a great processor and the 980ti is about 700/800 Euro on its own ? 

I've placed my order:

16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM

•2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive

•500W Power supply

•4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 [DL DVI-I, HDMI, DP, DP, DP]

•6th Generation Intel® Core i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]

•Windows 7 Professional 64

Total cost $750 for the system. I realize this system will have its shortcomings for FSX but it will at least get me in the air for some casual flying.

I've placed my order:

•500W Power supply

•6th Generation Intel® Core i7-6700K processor quad-core [4.0GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]

Total cost $750 for the system. I realize this system will have its shortcomings for FSX but it will at least get me in the air for some casual flying.

Nice, but should have sprung for at least DDR4-3000 memory

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I've placed my order:

•500W Power supply

Great choice. I'm looking on HP's website and that system will surely power FSX quite nicely. Why did you buy the "K" SKU of the 6700? You spent $40 extra on something which you can't do. You cannot overclock these systems without proper cooling and power.

Also, be warned: these prebuilt systems by mainstream OEMs are usually very hard to upgrade, due to the small case and the rather horrible power supply that OEMs usually opt for.

Nice, but should have sprung for at least DDR4-3000 memory

No, he shouldn't have. 

Windows 10 please.

I've seen no performance increase in W10 compared to W7.

Guys,

Why not I5 6600K??

Maybe he needs hyperthreading?

Edited by linux731