Sign in to follow this  
WilloW_737

CWS during approach and landing

Greetings

Control Wheel Steering (CWS) can be used during approach without a problem.  But, what about landing - can CWS remain engaged during the landing ?

Also, if flying with CWS engaged, is it protocol to also have the A/T engaged ?

If using CWS I disengage at 1500 feet or at minimums and usually, if in approach mode, manually control the throttle.  However, at other times I leave the A/T engaged when using CWS.

Thanks,   WilloW

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

Control Wheel Steering (CWS) can be used during approach without a problem.  But, what about landing - can CWS remain engaged during the landing ?

No. And why would you?

The Boeing thought is AP on, AT on; AP off, AT off (though they have someone gone against this recently, as the 777 recommendation is AT on at all times). I don't recall there being a thought to CWS. Either way, the important thing to remember is that CWS is not like AP. It's basically an assistant to hand flying.

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

Greetings

Also, if flying with CWS engaged, is it protocol to also have the A/T engaged ?

If using CWS I disengage at 1500 feet or at minimums and usually, if in approach mode, manually control the throttle.  However, at other times I leave the A/T engaged when using CWS.

Thanks,   WilloW

CWS is not a replacement for FBW. I can see the draw from a simism point of view, but this wouldn't be done real world.

The only time CWS should be used is for a severe turbulence encounter. Then it's A/T OFF.

Matt Cee

CWS is not a replacement for FBW. I can see the draw from a simism point of view, but this wouldn't be done real world.

The only time CWS should be used is for a severe turbulence encounter. Then it's A/T OFF.

Experienced! Great to have your kind around Matt. I'd always wondered when you'd use CWS operationally (apart from when situation dictates of course).

Brian Nellis

Experienced! Great to have your kind around Matt. I'd always wondered when you'd use CWS operationally (apart from when situation dictates of course).

I've used it in strong mountain wave and I use it when I'm flying around t-storms. That's about it.

Matt Cee

There was talk on here recently about the difficulty hand flying at altitude... Is CWS used at altitude so you can control horizontal while not worrying about vertical?

If yes, why would you want to use it over say just changing from LNAV to HDG and changing via knob movements?

Why did you choose to use it on severe turbulence weather?

(I ask not at all questioning whether its right or wrong, clearly you're right, I ask because I'm curious to learn)

Thanks Spin737 - I was after real world operations (I should have mentioned that).

My question arose after doing several approach and landings in severe turbulence (in the sim) - it was easier with CWS on.  I will alter my procedure.

Best,   WilloW  (Iain Williams)

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator