Sign in to follow this  
Raven9000

Black Friday Deals are live! At SimMarket

Has anyone tried the Reality Sim Atlanta scenery?  Looks interesting, but have not seen any reviews of it anywhere.

http://secure.simmarket.com/reality-sim-scenery-reality-atlanta-fsx-p3d.phtml

Andrew Jones

Okay guys, I broke down and bought it.  So far, I like what I see.  Very real looking rendition of buildings in the downtown/midtown area.  However, combined with my Georgia Megascenery 2, it does seem to create a large VAS footprint.  Will try it again without the Megascenery and see if there is a big difference.  I have only had it a few hours so my experience with it is limited.  WIll post more later.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Okay guys, I broke down and bought it.  So far, I like what I see.  Very real looking rendition of buildings in the downtown/midtown area.  However, combined with my Georgia Megascenery 2, it does seem to create a large VAS footprint.  Will try it again without the Megascenery and see if there is a big difference.  I have only had it a few hours so my experience with it is limited.  WIll post more later.

Andrew Jones

Andrew, thanks for your input. Would be curious if there is any noticeable impact on fps. Look forward to your update.

I wish FlyTampa would have sales on Simmarket. Flytampa NEVER NEVER has sale.  I would have bought Montreal and Tampa sceneries.

Oh well

Regards,

Aharon

Aharon, Simmarket had a sale on KBUF  about a year ago..but haven't seen any FlyTampa sales since.  It is interesting that this question comes up about FlyTampa every year about this time.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

It is interesting that this question comes up about FlyTampa every year about this time.

About the time where almost everyone and their uncle actually does have a sale you mean..? Yeah, how "strange"...

Andrew, thanks for your input. Would be curious if there is any noticeable impact on fps. Look forward to your update.

Aharon, Simmarket had a sale on KBUF  about a year ago..but haven't seen any FlyTampa sales since.  It is interesting that this question comes up about FlyTampa every year about this time.

Yes scenery creating geeks dont necessarily make good salesman. He is losing a lot of business to FSDT especially new clientele who will continue to stay loyal to FSDT. Having said that FT are reasonably priced for the quality they put out anyway

ZORAN

As someone who would jump all over the Reality Sim Atlanta package, I can say that their screenies definitely didn't do the potential sale much help. I of course spotted all of the great landmarks but, I must admit, I apply the same scenery standards to my home city as I would any other scenery addon: the use of photoscenery needs to be useful. And, so far, the only scenery developer I've seen that deploys photo or orth imagery well is ORBX.

And no, I've never seen FlyTampa have a sale. I think there was one instance where they threw KBUF on sale 4 years ago but wow, what an isolated and non-newsworthy incident. I am, however, about to pull the trigger on several of their products and it's always worth it...

Yes scenery creating geeks dont necessarily make good salesman. He is losing a lot of business to FSDT especially new clientele who will continue to stay loyal to FSDT. Having said that FT are reasonably priced for the quality they put out anyway

Actually that's how I became a loyal customer. It started with a really good sale from FSDT and after that I bought everything they have put out and not waiting for a sale. The same with RealAir, I bought the Legacy on sales and after that I bought the Duke and the turbine Duke at full price.

Andrew Jones

After further experimenting, here are my findings:

Pros

1. During daylight hours, the city itself looks nice.  Keep in mind that I primarily fly airliners, and am referring to the view from between 5000 and 10000 feet.  I have not yet had a chance to do low level tests in a slow prop.

2. It comes with a small section of photoreal scenery that extends slightly beyond the metropolitan area.  For those who do not own Megascener GA, or Megascenery Atlanta, this is a plus.

3. FPS impact is minimal, at least on my modest system.  i5 2500k

4. The VAS footprint does not seem much different than with Megascenery, Georgia. Even running one on top of the other does not increase it over what I get with Megascenery GA alone, which surprised me.

Cons

1. The buildings are not lit at night!  They are just black silhouettes against the otherwise well lit photoscenery. I find this unforgivable.  Even the default buildings are lit.  What's up with that???

2. The scenery does not include any buildings beyond downtown and midtown.  i.e. Buckhead and other major outlying areas are not represented other than with autogen, and or default buildings.

Knowing what I know now, there is no way that I would pay full price for this package.  For 50% off (USD $10), it's a toss up.  In daytime, I very much like the look of the denser cityscape, and correctly placed photo-real 3D buildings.  However, the lack of night-lighting, combined with the lack of any of the prominent landmarks in Buckhead, do the product as disservice.  As far as I can tell, this is the only city that this developer has put out so far, and there is no indication of what their future plane are.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

Great summary thanks for that. You should send them an email re the lighting

ZORAN

I did.  Thanks for the suggestion

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

I would like to try the (not on sale) x-treme coties series from Flight 1 for southeast that includes dllas, houston, NO, etc. Videos seem really nice

I did.

RealitySimScenery state that their product is daylight/summer season only, which is basically LimeSim's concept from their U.S. cities series.

RSS' ground photoscenery has a significantly lower resolution than LimeSim's, but their custom buildings (not the autogen ones) are top-notch as a close look from a helicopter reveals.

Overall I like LimeSim's cities more, but with the current dicount on RSS' Atlanta I can't complain.

RealitySimScenery state that their product is daylight/summer season only, which is basically LimeSim's concept from their U.S. cities series.

RSS' ground photoscenery has a significantly lower resolution than LimeSim's, but their custom buildings (not the autogen ones) are top-notch as a close look from a helicopter reveals.

Overall I like LimeSim's cities more, but with the current dicount on RSS' Atlanta I can't complain.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to receive the following response to my email from Reality Sim Scenery:

"Thank you for the feedback, in order to present a better product we rely on customer input like yours! We currently do have future plans to release a night update for Atlanta, and we certainly will look in to the building additions of the Buckhead area. Thank you and if you have any more questions please feel free to contact us.

Regards,

Reality Sim Scenery"

There may be hope after all.

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones