Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Who uses the HGS in real life

Hello, i'm contemplating upgrading to pro, i'm womdering who uses the hgs is real life? Most of my q400 flying is in North America, i know Jazz uses it, not sure about Porter or United Express, and i think Horizon does?

Also, can the hgs be selected on or off depending on what airline you're flying like the NGX?

Not related to the HGS, but are the higher frequency/smoother control inputs really noticable?

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The VC model, with or without the HUD, is selectable in the Control panel. You have to make your selection before you start the sim.

Porter has the upgraded EFIS, and FMS, but I'm not certain if this would include the HGS, as well.

Alaska/Horizon does have the HGS.

regards, Craig

With regards to the new controller interface, I have found flight controls are much smoother. Especially when maneuvering on the ground, and also in the flare,

the control response is much more precise.

regards, Craig

>> With regards to the new controller interface, I have found flight controls are much smoother. Especially when maneuvering on the ground, and also in the flare, the control response is much more precise.<<

Agree completely there. It's just a PITA to get it working. Needs a tab in their Control Panel app.

Marshall

Yeah, I agree Hamsammich, it is a pain. Worth the effort in the end, though. Now that the Q Pro is here, Christmas is going to be rather anti-climatic.

Cheers, Craig

ps, like your videos of the Q400.

We didn't have the HUD at our company- it's not required for CAT-II in any case. Too much cost for the return on investment (i.e., being able to complete flights). In the northeast US, traffic/ATC delays would outlast the bad weather.  

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Regarding HGS use on commercial aircraft, one can check YouTube and find a number of flight deck videos where the use can be seen.

Regarding when it's used...

The Dash 8 is certified to fly in conditions for which there is very limited visibility, and in the North hemisphere (I don't have any knowledge regarding Southern hemisphere operations) the aircraft is flown in the northern latitudes throughout the year and faces a variety of reduced visibility conditions ranging from fog and heavy rain and snow.  These are the conditions under which one might us a HGS.

The HGS can also be used to augment the PFD in regular conditions, or used in visual flight conditions to provide the pilot with increased situational awareness while the pilot is heads up.

So the real answer is... when the pilot wants or needs to use it.  I will add that some airlines are bound to have specific guidelines for when the HGS is usable by the pilot.

I hope I've answered your question, and I wish  you Happy Flights in this INCREDIBLE aircraft model!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Flybe (who may be the biggest operator of the type) don't even have twin FMS in much of their Q400 fleet! The HGS is only essential for CAT III operations, I think that's the reason less than half of all Q400s built are so equipped.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

In Europe the following airlines have their Q400 fleet equipped with HGS:

- Austrian Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- Luxair

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD