Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

Windows 10 and FSX

Some A/C like the Flight 1 ATR will not run under Windows 10 (as well as a pretty significant number of games) which some have suggested is due to DRM (Digital Rights Management). The issue does not exist under Windows 7.  These are due to old authentication methods, licensing, etc, that don't seem to be compatible and are causing problems under Windows 10.  I am not certain if there is a decline in FSX third party add-on sales, but Flight 1 doesn't seem to be moving forward with fixing or correcting the issue,

I am running FSX under Windows 7, but it is just a matter of time before Microsoft is going to force the upgrade to Windows 10 (very soon).  I am sure many in the Flight Sim community have experienced the Windows 10 "Nag". All they have to do is start basically deactivating current license keys and resetting it back to a 30 day grace period, and you will have to upgrade.  Personally, I like Windows 10 , but I am not sure why there are SO many DRM issues.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

1. I have plenty of games running perfectly fine under Windows 10 that have DRM like SecuROM. Example: GTA IV.

(Also, Microsoft released an update to Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1 that supposedly "blocks" SecuROM and other DRM mechanisms like Windows 10 supposedly does, so believe it or not, you might already have said update and you probably didn't notice a change.)

2. I suggest you install W10 on a virtual machine, then install FSX and test it out with the ATR addon.

3. Microsoft won't force you to upgrade to Windows 10, that's absurd.

"I am not sure why there are SO many DRM issues"

What issues? I haven't experienced any problems.

Edited by linux731

I have tried to install the Flight 1 ATR under Windows 10 and it didn't work.  Another user also had the same problem, and made the comment regarding the DRM.

So has anyone been able to install and sucessfully test and fly the Flight 1 ATR under Windows 10?

Did the FSX installation have be in a folder other than the typical Default?  As some have indicated that that Windows 10 tighter security with the C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files(86) folders.

Not sure.   Probably agree that MS won't force you to update, you never can tell...  They are trying to compete with Google (Andriod) for data collection.  But I read MS is adding additional monitoring to Windows 7 and 8.

Look forward to hearing from a Flight 1 ATR owner that has sucessfully installed and tested the A/C under Windows 10!

Thanks for the reply.

All my fsx planes Pmdg, Majestic Q400, work with windows10...

The only one that doesn't function is the Eaglesoft Citation x 750 version 2...It loads but locks up...I have search the internet for a solution to the problem...No luck...

Bob Adams

Under Windows 8.1, these Payware Products don't work or will not install:

Flight 1 Beechcraft Kingair   (by the way: Flight1 customer service is the worst.

PMDG Boeing 747