Sign in to follow this  
windshearDK

Very strange issue with P3D V3

Dear all

I have now been flying a few flights, and I can see now that somehow the PMDG is working at slower speed than the rest of the sim.

the clock works, but the timer itself I have timed it myself, reads 1.35 for every 1 second real time. Also the flap deployment time and engine startup takes a lot longer than I ever saw either in P3D v2 or FSX...!

I have no clue what is causing this what so ever!

Here is an example.

I just arrived at CPH from DXB a flight that takes around 6.5 hours. My gate departure was around 5 am GMT, as you can see the timed flight time was 4:22 when in fact it should say something around 6 hours.

ek151.jpg

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Never expierenced that. Did you do a clean install and load the aircraft after a default one was loaded?

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Is you system heavily overclocked? I have heard of system heavily overclocked acting weird with passage of time. If you are overclocked lead the default clock in your bios and see if the problem still persists.

Dear all

I have now been flying a few flights, and I can see now that somehow the PMDG is working at slower speed than the rest of the sim.

the clock works, but the timer itself I have timed it myself, reads 1.35 for every 1 second real time. Also the flap deployment time and engine startup takes a lot longer than I ever saw either in P3D v2 or FSX...!

I have no clue what is causing this what so ever!

Here is an example.

I just arrived at CPH from DXB a flight that takes around 6.5 hours. My gate departure was around 5 am GMT, as you can see the timed flight time was 4:22 when in fact it should say something around 6 hours.

ek151.jpg

I am a P3D V3 user and I have not experienced this issue with the -200LR/F/-300ER.

Just to be sure, I launched the sim, and ran a few time tests. First, using the chronometer function 1 minute on my iPhone 6 timer, was 1 minute on the -300ER chronometer.

Second, I tested the elapsed time function. 1 minute on my iPhone 6 timer, is 1 minute on my -300ER elapsed time function. 

Not even a second of difference between real world and PMDG timer functions.

I also tested flap extension from Flaps UP to Flaps 30, full extension took ~57 seconds. Same extension time as in my FSX SP2 install. 

Regarding overclock causing potential time issues? I have been running a overclocked i7 4790k at a always stable 4.7Ghz since I put the new system together a year back. No issues, and I doubt there is a relationship between the two.

I think you should check your install and maybe even do a clean one just to make sure. The off timing is strange, especially if you are not using time compression.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

have you checked the P3D v3 settings under Options > Simulation Rate?

There is a Half speed and Slowest setting?

Are you using an Asus motherboard?

Certain boards from them were affected by a faulty realtime clock / CMOS which can cause weird issues like this.

Thanks guys!

Well before installing V3 I had P3D 2.5 I did not have these issues at all!

My sim speed is checked to be on normal.

I installed V3 on a new HDD and thus it's a clean install.

I am writing you because it's an issue I have never ever come across, yet I am suffering from it.

Please help

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Would stutters or fluctuations in FPS potentially explain, the simulator clock is independent of the 'windows' or software clock and any pause in the simulator would 'freeze' time so to speak. This would not be compensated for because the simulator isn't aware of a change in the difference between your system clock and it's own simulated artificial clock.

If a pause or stutter occurred say many times a minute unnoticed then that is a lot of time lost. I have seen this problem before although never to that scale where I have noticed time seems to disappear. As an example I have a clock auto synced with an atomic clock in my house and before a flight I will sync them together, they certainly are not the same a few hours later.

I would consider checking whether your system is stable and also try changing settings and locking FPS internally to 30 so that there aren't any stutters or losses. If it is running at a solid 30fps constantly and time still drifts then it is very difficult to explain why it is happening beyond some very complex problem beyond P3D. Flaps and custom engine code use some kind of internal timing to make them realistic so it is very obvious they could be affected by problems with keeping time. in the aircraft.cfg, the flaps for example will have a defined extension time which then rely on the timing mechanism. If this mechanism was compromised either by a system that cannot keep time properly or one which is unstable then I'm sure you would see something go wrong.

I would first try the processor at stock speed and also check the Windows event logs for any WHEA errors. A CPU cycle after all occurs every second and an unstable CPU might be compromised in properly defining what a second is.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I keep my fps locked at 30.

But if it's stutters, then I would have seen the same in V2.5 no?

What are WHEA errors?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

One thing to check for would be your antivirus exclusions. Remember that this is in a new directory (unless you changed it from the default). If you're still letting your AV scan it, this could cause some hangs, exacerbated by the fact that our aircraft (and likely the scenery used) are a heavy toll on the system. Unless you put the new directory in your AV exclusions, that could certainly be the case.

I keep my fps locked at 30.

But if it's stutters, then I would have seen the same in V2.5 no?

What are WHEA errors?

Not necessarily. I think it's about time that people begin to realize that v3 is not v2.5. There were rather significant changes to the code here. Remember all the people who ran FS9 just fine, but FSX brought their system to its knees?

Windows Hardware Error Architecture.

Kyle Rodgers

I have seen very poor performance, but I will try to decrease the clocking of my CPU, it's still quite low, but I will reduce it even further

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

I forgot to add that I get a terrain warning on final. Doesn't matter which airport I am using

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

I forgot to add that I get a terrain warning on final. Doesn't matter which airport I am using

Likely unrelated, but out of curiosity, do you have a destination airport set on the RTE page?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes of course. I use PFPX and then load the flight I created into the FMC

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark