Sign in to follow this  
tatfsn

How Do I Assign The Steer Lock Switch?

I must confess that as many years as I've been a Flight Simulator enthusiast, I've never

assigned, or "mapped" a keyboard assignment to one of the controls in the virtual cockpit

of an aircraft.

The Flysimware Lear 35 manual states that the steer lock switch can be assigned to

the keyboard with the "tail hook" assignment, and one of the other folks in the forum

mentioned that they were able to do this as well.   

That, I think, is an all but essential step to take given this feature of the Lear, and all

of the multitasking that is also necessary on landing rollout, especially in a crosswind, 

instrument conditions, etc.  I really don't want to have to come to a complete stop on the

runway at the end of each landing rollout in order to find the button on the yoke or the

pedestal in order to engage it in time to successfully maneuver off the runway.

I've practiced moving the eyepoint back, while rolling out, after cancelling the reversers

and getting under the 40 knots, then adjusting the power so that it is sufficient to keep

moving, then getting the mouse pointer to the button on the yoke--all with the turnoff

coming up fast.  Of course I have to hold the button down during the turn.    It's a real

challenge to get the timing right, and make the turn without going into the grass.

Adjusting the viewpoint to the pedestal button while moving along on the runway

as a recipe for veering off the runway during the time I'm not looking out the window

in order to get to that button.   

It's very cumbersome, and once I start practicing instrument and crosswind landings, it's

likely to be a nightmare to figure out and practice.   It's becoming clear that using the

keyboard command will be the answer.    However, I've no idea how to "assign," or

"map" it.   

I'd greatly appreciate such info from one of you gurus out there.

Assignments and bindings are found under your control settings in the sim.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Were you able to get the issue resolved?

Joe - Chief Pilot & Lead Tester - Flysimware Simulation Software

Captain - Gulfstream IV-SP

ATP/CFI/AGI/EMB-505/LR-JET/G-IV

Hi, thanks for the fast response.    I'm familiar with the settings--->keyboard assignments section of

FSX.   The tail hook is currently assigned to Shift+Q, as is standard, apparently.    

But with my flight loaded, with the Lear at the runway, I click the Shift+Q command, and nothing

happens.     I'm assuming that the there is a "assign" or "mapping" step that I have to take elsewhere

first--so as to get the steer lock to recognize the Shift+Q keystroke.    If so, I don't know where I need

to go in FSX to do that.    Or is it somewhere else--in the aircraft.cfg  or panel.cfg?    

Please advise.   Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is.

Thanks in advance.

I dont have that aircraft but the first thing i would do is remap the tail hook to some other buttons and re-try.. Do that a couple of times. Ive seen over the years that glitches sometimes work themselves out with patience.

I guess that I'm getting hung up on the "map," or "remap" term.    Is it that the tail hook command

should automatically work in actuating the steer lock?     Should it be already working that way

by default? 

I tried this last night and for me it just worked.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.

FYI, I mapped the tail hook to a joystick button and it worked....then it stopped working.  I remapped it but it still doesn't work.  It's no big deal to me, I just wanted to report my findings in case it might be a common problem.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

UPDATE:  I just installed v1.6 and the mapped joystick button is now working.  I tried it several times and it seems to work every time.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

V1.6 allowed the tailhook to be enabled above 45 knots and this would cause a conflict after you landed. This would only happen if you click the tailhook assignment above 45knots and the steer lock was off. V1.7 has fixed this issue.