Sign in to follow this  
srburger

Terrain Mesh Add Ons

Guest benarth

HiThe authors of Terrain Mesh downloads appear to recommend different methods of installing Mesh1. Place in FS9/Addonscenery and activate in Scenery Library/Add Area2. Place .bgl file direct in FS9/Addonscenery/Scenery No further action3 Place .bgl file direct in FS98/Scenery/World/Scenery N further actionAppreciate help/commentsRegards Roy

I have a little of both methodsThe create a scenery folder and activate area and the use Addon SceneryScenery are basically the same - a higher than stock layer. The reason some folks say use the scenery folder is that it should already be activated.But I prefer to have my mesh at a root level - and that is the SceneryWorldSecenery folder.So much about what FS does with things like mesh and landclass and layering and scenery changed dramatically in FS2004. A lot of very knowledgable people have not explored the new possibilities because the old way still works - but who knows for how long.I've recently moved almost all my landclass into the SceneryGenericScenery folder - and guess what - it has a texture folder and textures in the texture folder - and works perfectly.The biggest problem I find with having my mesh all in the same folder is file naming conventions - or rather the lack of any standard.Yes it is easier to keep all the files for a scenery or area in a separate folder. That also is fighting the FS 2004 system rather than using the power of the system.But you've got to have some way of knowing what each files is and where the files for an area are located / which files go to a particular area.

Guest benarth

Thanks ReggieIt wpould be unkind to comment that some confusion remains in this area!! I think the safest method (at the moment) is for me to follow the readme files of the particular author No doubt a form of cowardice but it helped me survive 30 years in the Royal Air Force as a fast jet pilot!!Thanks for the comment and enjoy FSRegards Roy