Sign in to follow this  
Piotr007

Slow loading textures in DX10. Surfaces remain black for about 3-5 seconds or even longer..

Hi guys,

I have a problem with DX10. I am using Steve's DX10 fixer.

The textures remain black for a period of 3-5 seconds. I tried many things to load it faster.

Swap-Wait-Out.

Fiber-Time-Fraction.

Reduced lod to 4.000000

autogen at 4 instead of 5.

AA set to 2X instead of 4X or more.

Nothing seems to reduce the problem really..

The second thing I encountered is the black "tile" texture flashing by the high altitude cirrus clouds. I am using Active Sky Next.

Perhaps someone of you know how to reduce the long texture loading. The problem seems to persist with demanding aircraft like the PMDG 777 or 737 when switching between VC and Outside Views.

When loading the VC again it loads often 6 seconds, during that time the cockpit, and windscreen are dark as the night.

Regards,

Peter

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Make sure that texture max load is set correctly it resets to 1024 and cause delays on texture loading. Make sure that your affinity mask is correct, some similar problems turned out to be fsx running on one core only. Make sure that if using e,g rex that you have selected dx10 textures.

There is a fix for ASN high level clouds in 2.11 but if you have very slow texture loading that's separate, it might be worth running without ASN until you get the texture loading sorted,

Make sure that texture max load is set correctly it resets to 1024 and cause delays on texture loading. Make sure that your affinity mask is correct, some similar problems turned out to be fsx running on one core only. Make sure that if using e,g rex that you have selected dx10 textures.

There is a fix for ASN high level clouds in 2.11 but if you have very slow texture loading that's separate, it might be worth running without ASN until you get the texture loading sorted,

I thank you for your reply Steve. The fixer is a very nice addition to counter the VAS issues that occur in DX9.

What do you mean abut the 1024 texture max load? Should it be lower or higher?

I always thought it shouldn't be higher than the amount of 1024.

Thank you.

Peter

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

You need to set it to the largest texture that the aircraft and scenery use, otherwise fsx needs to resize it. For a pmdg it needs to be 2048 I think.

You need to set it to the largest texture that the aircraft and scenery use, otherwise fsx needs to resize it. For a pmdg it needs to be 2048 I think.

Alright. Thank you. I reapplied the DX10 switch recently because OOM's in DX9, and adjusted the resolution, but it turns out I forgot to adjust texture max load as well.

Peter

Well see what happens, it's all I can suggest.

Well, unfortunately I cheered too soon. The problem still persists. Texture max load is now set to 2048.

When going to VC the textures are loading long, causing black tiles and textures.

I have uploaded a video on my channel with FSX long haul flight in DX10. I pretty much need DX10, because the OOM issue is unstoppable in DX9.

Peter

What's your CPU and affinities mask then, also what graphics do you have. I sometimes see a very slight lag loading textures but not as pronounced. What is it like away. From the airport in the cruise? The same or different?

What is setting for affinity mask?Thank you

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

i am running  i7-4770 cpu@3.5 ghz with GTX 770. Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

One thing I tried which helped for me was change the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=** up to a higher value. Try 120.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Make sure to cap framerate in settings if you didn't, even though it would cause a general performance drop. Not capping framerate would cause ground texture blurring on mine on something as slow as a Cub for some reason, all other settings being the same.

Also make sure FSX data is not NTFS compressed, I've made that mistake once. And defragment FSX drive.

When going to VC the textures are loading long, causing black tiles and textures.

Peter

If I understand correctly and by viewing the video, you are saying that the "VC" textures are taking too long to load? This is fairly normal with the PMDG from my experiences. The way I circumvent it is by pressing an assigned button on a controller for switching views to select that view once when pressed and second time when let go. This can be done in FSUIPC. Hope that helps. If you select that view via key strokes, do twice quickly and the textures are magically there. This phenomenon has yet to be explained to me.

Ironically enough, once you are in the VC and the textures are loaded they load quickly when changing views in the cockpit. Once you go outside for a given time, it starts all over again. This key press work around can also be used for outside views.

Also invest in more RAM if possible. As observation goes, extra RAM is used by OS as disk cache, thus FSX does not have to load things like VC textures from disk after initial load.