Sign in to follow this  
planenut

FSX and FSX-SE on Same Hard Drive

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before but can FSX and FSX-SE reside on the same hard drive without any conflicts.  I would hate to do away with FSX and switch over and find out that there are problems.  Also, how about if I install SE on a separate HD.  Would that be any better?  Thanks for any info.

Jim

Yes it can. I am doing it right now. 

But now I regret it.

Initially I thought I will see if I like FSX-SE. Now I am loving it.

What I didn't realize is that steam creates a different folder in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE to seperate itself from FSX folder.

This becomes problematic when trying to install old addons into steam which confuses itself where it should install.

I will be ditching my legacy FSX but to have FSX Steam work in a clean system I will need to remove FSX-SE, and re-install FSX-SE from scratch.

I will definitely recommend to move over to steam edition but remove FSX legacy first if you want some peace of mind.

Bilal Asif Khan

Currently on this setup - Same hard drive, same dedicated-to-flightsimming partition too, and no conflict is observed, since they had separate installation folders and (AFAIK) registry keys.

Doubt installing FSX-SE on a separate HDD would help, unless you want to run both at the same time and avoid the slowdown of two flight sims reading large amount of data on the same drive, or, say, wanted to dedicate a fast HDD or SSD to it for speed.

I did that for about 2 weeks. FSX-SE runs so well that I deleted the boxed version. I ended up going from W7 to W10, so I did a clean OS install, and installed FSX-SE only. I have ZERO regrets. FSX-SE on Win 10 runs better than FSX ever has for me. 

Biloo nailed it. Backup your current install, nuke it, and commit to FSX-SE. DTG fixed it. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440