Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Nvidia 359.00 drivers causing bad FPS in P3Dv2.5...?

A couple of days ago (might have been last week) I installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my 980 Ti with version nr 359.00 and I later noticed how my normal 30-50 FPS in P3Dv2.5 had dropped to about 15 FPS.

Since the only thing changed I could think of was the new Nvidia drivers I decided to go back to version 358.91 and sure enough...after doing that my FPS was back to normal.

Anyone else experienced this? Would be nice to have a confirmation that it indeed was the new version of the drivers that caused the bad FPS.

Richard Åsberg

Good thing I still have 358.91. My laziness finally paid off

LOL good one     :good:

Rich Sennett

Well...can't be 100% certain the new drivers were to blame because I have a complex setup but of course it's tempting since the problem went away after reverting to the old version but would still be nice to hear from others who also upgraded to the latest version and if they experienced the same thing.

Richard Åsberg

Did you choose the clean install ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Affirm, I'm always using the clean install option whenever I upgrade my display drivers.

However now back running 358.91 I've seen the same 'Nvidia display driver stopped working/responding and has recovered' message again a few times and it's really frustrating since the P3D session will be spoiled whenever this happens.

Not really sure what to make of this at this time...I never had this issue before upgrading to 359.00 and now I have it also with the previous version of the driver (358.91) so maybe something from the 359.00 still is on my system even when I used the clean install option when I reinstalled 358.91. Or...maybe it's not related to the driver version at all but something completely different...boy do I love these kind of intermittent issues with no clear indication what's causing them...

Richard Åsberg

Get a good driver cleaner and use - ccleaner - then reboot to install nvidia driver also only load the the driver nothing else needed

• Upvote 1

Rich Sennett

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll do that if this issue decides to stay. I've used Ccleaner in the past but haven't bothered since I upgraded from Win7->Win10.

Just like you suggest I always only install the components I really need in the driver. In the past I installed the graphics driver and that's it but lately I've been playing some games as well and for that reason I now also have Geforce Experience installed since that one helps a lot figuring out the best settings for any supported game.

Might have found one thing though that could be part of the issue I've had. I was trying ShadowPlay out a bit and might have forgotten to deactivate it and having that one running in the background all the time I guess could very well be what was causing my issue. Not to say ShadowPlay is buggy, only that I have never used that before just as I have never (or at least very rarely) seen the issue with the display driver stop working so the relation is there at least in my head.

Will see what happens now that I've made sure ShadowPlay no longer is active in the background.

Richard Åsberg

I am using 980Ti and 970 with multi monitors and 359 drivers all is working fine.

I do not use GeForceExperiance since its shadowplay for recording doesn't work for me with NVSurrond enabled.

I did do a clean install using some software to even remove all traces of old drivers from guru3d and tried installing with gforce hoping it will record but no luck just ended up recording black screens of whatever it recorded LOL so i uninstalled it.

Too bad as on single monitors or not surround it does great job as recording software :( but for now a no go for me.

Andy