Sign in to follow this  
Chatster007

737 NGX VOR LOC not arming

Thank you all for your help!

My NGX is using 1108, and as I cannot afford a navigraph account, I cannot buy the upgrade. 

As far as I can tell I can't place a 1108 AIRAC in simBrief. Is there a way to make these work properly, or shall I just adopt the same procedure as before (just chose runway, and then click execute, and remove discontinuities accordingly).

Thank you all for your help so far.

Kind Regards,

George Hunt

George,

A Navigraph account is free to create and a single cycle AIRAC update is very cheap (€7, roughly £5). You don't have to subscribe to a monthly update. Nor is this a one off starter option. You can buy single cycle updates as and when you need them. Getting the latest AIRAC will mean you can fly current procedures, but the procedures in cycle 1108 should still work in the sim. It isn't essential to update unless you fly online.

The apparent problem with a conflict between Brize Norton and Gatwick ILS frequencies would not be solved by an AIRAC update. AIRAC updates don't change the navaid frequency FSX has in the scenery files. However as Peter suggested I think you simply mistuned the Gatwick ILS. Even in original, unmodified FSX the Brize Norton ILS frequency is 111.90. If you tune 110.90 you will receive the Gatwick ILS.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Hi,

Thank you all for your help.

I am on approach to EGKK as we speak, the issue is, that I want to land on 26L (110.90 261), but it will only pick up the ident for ILS 08 (110.90 079). I have fiddled with everything, but it will not pick up 26L. What can I do to make it pick up 26L and not 08R as they have the same frequencies ??

FS9/FSX do not handle shared frequencies like this very well, but if you continue your approach it should all fall into line before you intercept the G/S.

Peter Schluter

I'm currently 10.2 DME from IGG, so hopefully it will fall into place before VOR/LOC engages (it's armed and works)

That didn't work, it engaged VOR, and turned really early, this resulted in me coming at the Runway side on????

Where you on the East side of the threshold of the runway 26L? 

I have never got that issue but I believe that the limit between the two ILS should be the roughly at the middle of the runway, so depending on which you come from, the nav receiver would pick either one.

I will have a flight later today to Gatwick and I will check that in fsx.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I was coming in from EIDW ( I don't know whether it was east or west?). I managed to go around and land on runway 08 so it all turned out fine.

Next time I fly the flight would you recommend I fly into 08 ?

So you were coming from the West hence probably catching the ILS 08R first.

What you could try is to de-tune the nav 1 until you have past the runway to the East and re-tune it before you turn to the loc.

If you fly by yourself without ATC, I guess you would follow the procedure depicted on the "ILS RWY 26L Without Radar Control"

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/eais-959C0106F7A8AEC8A975D1FFF067EE63/3QDXTD5E6YWTY/EN/2015-11-12-AIRAC/graphics/04860.001.en-GB.pdf

In that case you could try to tune the nav 1 to the ils frequency once reaching May (Mayfield VOR) where you should catch the ILS 26L and not the 08R.

Regarding the choice of runway, it all depends on the wind. So I wouldn't recommend to fly into the 08R in all case as you could be landing with tail wind exceeding the limits.

Check what is the wind and pick up the runway that will get you into the wind (head wind).

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

If you are landing 26L you need to approach using the chart Budbud supplied. You need to be at 2000 feet on track 259 (or 261) approx 10 nm from IWW. Engage LOC then when captured engage APP. You will capture the G/S at D5.5 IWW. You cannot expect to accurately capture the LOC unless you intercept it at most at a 30 degree angle. 

Peter Schluter

I have just done the test.

I took off on runway 26L, climbed to 4000ft and flew to MID (15nm / W of EGKK) on the SAM 1X departure, and turned back to the airport.

On the way back, I set the nav 1 to 110.90 and logically got IGG (ILS 08R) displayed on the PFD. I kept flying to the East passing along the runway at 10nm South of it.

Roughly at the level of the threshold of the runway 26L or shortly after , the display changed automatically to IWW (ILS 26L).

So I guess I was right when I said that the ILS signal depends on the location related to the runway.

I'm currently 10.2 DME from IGG, so hopefully it will fall into place before VOR/LOC engages (it's armed and works)
That didn't work, it engaged VOR, and turned really early, this resulted in me coming at the Runway side on????

I guess you have armed the VOR/LOC too early. 

Wait for the display to change to the correct ILS ident before arming the VOR/LOC. Also, during the test, I found out that with VOR/LOC armed while flying along the runway toward East, it engaged as soon as the ILS receiver caught the ILS 26L signal and the aircraft started to the turn toward the runway. I think it is what happened to you.

Wait for being on an intercept heading to the localizer and the correct ident displayed on the PFD before arming the VOR/LOC and you won't have the issue anymore.

One last think to add, I did this test with the UK2000 payware scenery and not with the default FSX scenery. Maybe it works differently.

It was quite of an interesting test flight as I had an unexpected sudden engine out just after lift off...  :yahoo:  

I didn't programmed it in the failures menu and I didn't know it could happen with the maintenance-base failures.

I know that bird strikes are not simulated but it was totally alike!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg