Sign in to follow this  
mslim

new payware KVNY Van Nuys scenery

Purchase and installed this today and have now uninistalled it! Although I was only using the default Baron, this scenery caused my FSX to hit the 4GB VAS limitation immediately. I have hundreds of payware scenery addons installed on my FSX but this is the first one that has caused the VAS OOM message as soon as it opened. This is very odd as I can run high-demand scenery such as Aerosoft Mega Dublin with the PMDG 747 without experiencing an OOM due to excessive VAS usage. This happened despite deactivating other KVNY AFCAD files which I identified using AFX, from US Cities - Los Angeles and UT. I wondered whether there may be some kind of memory leak with this scenery responsible for the inordinately high VAS usage. Very disappointed as I was looking forward to having a good version of this on my system.

As a follow on to my previous post, the developers on their website recommend reducing the scenery complexity if users are experiencing OOMs with this scenery. I normally run FSX with it set to very dense, so I reinstalled KVNY again and reduced the scenery complexity setting to normal. I was able to open this scenery without an OOM and I have to say the airport looked pretty good, although the VAS usage was a high 3.6GB. Sadly however, within less than a minute of take off my VAS usage hit the 4GB threshold and I experienced another OOM! So back to my original KVNY scenery again!

ooooh... that's not a good sign. :sad:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Don't they tell you what equipment is required to run it? I see no sense in buying a scenery that you have to downgrade your settings to run. Bob.

I've had some issues with the developers (Glenn Johnson) freeware sceneries, namely KDAL and KMSY, so I think I'll skip this.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Don't they tell you what equipment is required to run it? I see no sense in buying a scenery that you have to downgrade your settings to run. Bob.

Not on the Flight Sim Pilot Shop site where I bought this. Quite frankly I didn't quite expect KVNY to challenge my set up that much as the only additional scenery addons I have in that area are Aerosoft US Cities Los Angeles and FSDT KLAX. But, as they say "buyer beware" so next time I buy something from an unknown developer I will wait for some reviews first!

Bill

Curiously, the review which I sent in to the Flight Sim Pilot Shop about a week ago, has not yet appeared on the product page!

Got my first OOM on my new 9 month old rig - didn't put 2 and 2 together immediately, but then remembered I'd put KVNY on the PC earlier. Re-booted with the default Mooney parked there - checked the VAS, only 460,000 left...oh dear.

Messed about with settings a bit, got a little more - but still nothing great.

Disabled it, re-booted into default KVNY over 2,000,000 VAS left, the payware version is a VAS black hole on my rig.

Shame - it looks great, and taxiway C, which leads to 16R threshold isn't even there on the default version, which makes online flying a bit awkward - plus  the taxiway idents have been re-jigged some time back.

I expect the developers put a lot of time and effort in to it, but took their eye off the ball on a crucial aspect..

Just out of interest - anyone not having  VAS problems? Sometimes it can be rig specific? I'm running 4K, which put heavy demands on the system, but have quite a few California payware airports for Pilotsedge, and have never had an OOM before.

Eugene

Just sounds like the developer did not optimize his design enough.  I have some freeware stuff that is very small relatively but if I load it will bring my 5GHz system to it's knees. On the other hand, I have some 3D photoscenery scenery that I created out as far as the eye can see but can run everything with sliders maxed and get good FPS.   That's where the "art" of scenery development comes in handy.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Just sounds like the developer did not optimize his design enough.  I have some freeware stuff that is very small relatively but if I load it will bring my 5GHz system to it's knees. On the other hand, I have some 3D photoscenery scenery that I created out as far as the eye can see but can run everything with sliders maxed and get good FPS.   That's where the "art" of scenery development comes in handy.

Also seems like the promoter (of this thread) has taken off... (No pun intended...)

It's a shame as the airport looked very good for the short period that I was able to view it and it would have been nice to think that the developer might have gone back and looked at it again to produce a functioning V2. The level of VAS usage is totally unacceptable using a default aircraft and I cannot imagine the developer tested it with even a moderately demanding addon aircraft! Clearly, they must have noticed significant problems with resource usage during beta testing given they advice they provide on their website and it would be good if the promotor who disclosed that he was a beta-tester on the project might provide some response to this post which he initiated!

Curiously, the review which I sent in to the Flight Sim Pilot Shop about a week ago, has not yet appeared on the product page!

I also posted a review there, feeling it only fair to warn customers of the VAS implications some are having - but no sign of it yet.

it would be good if the promotor who disclosed that he was a beta-tester on the project might provide some response to this post which he initiated!

How about it "mslim" ?

I'm not here to give you a hard time - but would be interested in your thoughts about it, now you know some folk feel they have wasted their money?

It's advertised as V1 - so maybe there's a possibility of an improved version sometime in the future?

Eugene

Also seems like the promoter (of this thread) has taken off... (No pun intended...)

Just to set the record straight here... I am not a "promoter" of any sort.  I'm just a Flightsim guy like the rest of you here that desperately wanted a decent Van Nuys airport.  I have purposefully waited to respond to give Glenn Johnson a chance to work on a solution.

KVNY is special to me as I did a lot of RW flying out of it back in the day.  I had previously tried to get Aerosoft interested in doing it for a couple of years but they never got off the dime.   When Glenn Johnson came forward and said he wanted to do Van Nuys, I tried to help by confirming some details and taking some pictures for him.

I did beta testing for him using the RealAir Citabria and I had VAS and OOM issues that I reported to him and he worked on.  My machine is so low spec that I figured I was the "worst case scenario" beta tester for him. How his scenery performed on more capable computers I have no idea. At some point he decided KVNY was ready to be released to the public.

WinXP Pro SP3 Intel Core Duo CPU E7500

2.93ghz 4GB Ram Radeon HD4350

Suffice to say that Glenn is very aware of the problem and working on a patch.  Also I'd like to give a shoutout to scianoir for his objective way of posting his problems.  Clutch Cargo sounds like he might have some optimization tips on the "art of scenery development" so I'd encourage him to contact Glenn through his website and perhaps offer some suggestions.

Best Regards,

Slim

Thanks for getting back to us Slim and good to hear that Glenn is working on a patch for this problem, as it looks like too nice an addon to go to waste. Look forward to eventually try my Real Air Citabria there too (as it was the aircraft on which I learned to fly in the RW).

Have a nice Christmas!

Bill