Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

The aircraft carrier, Nimitz....interaction...

Hi all,

Yesterday, I flew out via chopper, to the Nimitz, and when attempting to land on the midsection of the flight deck...sank right through it.  Is the XP aircraft carrier model not a 'hard deck', that allows you to land, take off, etc?

Is there some setting that makes it so?

Any help would be appreciated.   Oh...btw,  the animation is just great...as I hovered I saw waving flight deck crew,  the plane elevator going down to the hangar deck, and when I went down through the flight deck...I passed into the space of the hangar...and it is fully detailed, rendered, with great crew and plane/equipment graphics. 

Now, I'd imagine that if you placed yourself on the elevator, as it cycles up and down, you could then enter the hangar deck and explore...but there's the quandary...how to you LAND on the deck and not sink through it?

Has anybody landed on this deck?!?!?   Even if I can find that out...I can go from there, for a solution. I really want to practice Helo landings on a moving target.

Thanks!

Has anybody landed on this deck?!?!?   Even if I can find that out...I can go from there, for a solution. I really want to practice Helo landings on a moving target.

Thanks!

This is a known bug when a dev use the Nimitz as a static object in his scenery.

www.khamsin.org

• USS Nimitz aircraft carrier, USS Perry Frigate, Oil platform for Laminar Research
  • Freeware : Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, Ercoupe
  • Payware : Pacific Islands WW2, De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk, North American B-25 Mitchell, Grumman HU-16 Albatross, North American P-51D Mustang
  • Work in progress : Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress X-plane 11, De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk X_Plane 11

Thanks Ohsirus...but since this person DID land, how is it, that my helo...drops through the deck..?!?!?!?!?

Are there settings within a plane/helo folder that can be tweaked...to allow for a 'solid' landing?

This is a known bug when a dev use the Nimitz as a static object in his scenery.

Thank you...and is there any way around this?  I do have ships checked off within the sim.

Look for sceneries that uses Nimitz as static object and remove these sceneries.
Some of frede sceneries uses the Nimitz.

www.khamsin.org

• USS Nimitz aircraft carrier, USS Perry Frigate, Oil platform for Laminar Research
  • Payware : Pacific Islands WW2, De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk, North American B-25 Mitchell, Grumman HU-16 Albatross, North American P-51D Mustang
  • Work in progress : Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress X-plane 11, De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk X_Plane 11

Look for sceneries that uses Nimitz as static object and remove these sceneries.

Some of frede sceneries uses the Nimitz.

Ok..so then if I get what you mean...find them...remove them as elements from THAT scenery...and then XPX.42 will have the ACC with a solid deck rendered?

BTW, did you ever take the flight deck elevator down below decks?  If not..check out the Hangar Deck....great graphics...and are hidden unless you do!

Right?

Two options : remove sceneries or remove Nimitz from these sceneries.
When it's done, you can land on the aircraft carrier.

It is not possible to use flight deck elevator.

By the way, i'm the author of the Nimitz and also the Perry frigate and the oilrig.

www.khamsin.org

It is not possible to use flight deck elevator.

By the way, i'm the author of the Nimitz and also the Perry frigate and the oilrig.

I really enjoy your contribution!   I do then have a question;

If you can't land on the Nimitz, and you can't access the Hangar Deck, per se..., why is the Hangar Deck fully graphic rendered?   Crewmen, planes, equipment, for I saw all of that as I sank through the Flight Deck, and came into the Hangar Deck space.  Just wondering...

The hangar deck is visible also from outside ! :)

nimitz_model3D_ingame_05.jpg

www.khamsin.org

The hangar deck is visible also from outside ! :)

nimitz_model3D_ingame_05.jpg

Ah....LOL....I never truly noticed that, as I was so concentrating on my copter approach and (what was going to be a flight deck landing, lol).   You know, though...if you sink through the middle of the flight deck, you DO go into a full spatial space...as though you were 'in' the hangar deck!!!  It looked really good. I do hope you will figure out a way to make the flight deck solid....for that would be wonderful for copter approach and landing practice on a moving target.

Cheers!

Ses

Does the Nimitz come with XP10, or is it an addon? And where/how can you find it's location?

Thanks- screenshots look awesome!

Thanks, Bruce.

The Nimitz was a payware addon for X-Plane 9. It is now included in X-Plane 10.
You can download a freeware version for X-Plane 9 here :

http://www.khamsin.org/

To use the Nimitz, you have to check in 'settings/rendering options'
- 'draw aircraft carriers and frigates' ON

Choose an airport near coastline and look for the carrier in local map.
You can also open 'Aircraft/Aircraft & situations' and choose 'Aircraft carrier Approach'.

www.khamsin.org

Thanks for the info, khamsin, much appreciated.

A fix for this bug (Nimitz deck is not solid _if_ a scenery pack with the Nimitz is loaded first) will be released in 10.45.

• Upvote 2