Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Needs to be installed on both Client and Server

I recently installed SiimLauncherX and I had to install it on both the client and server because I wanted to use it in a network situation.

This seems a bit redundant, as no other networked application I have requires this.  I'm hoping that the server copy can be deleted once the database is built, but didnt' want to without checking first.

I undertand why the initial might need this because the server is were the FSX scenery, etc. files exists.  However, Plan-G does essentially the same thing and does it across the network without a second copy of Plan-G installed.

I admit that I have just started playing with the program and it looks pretty impressive, but I'm the type who aims for as few files on his machine. as possible. :-)

Thanks..

Ernest Pergrem

Hi ?,

Please comply with the forum rule and sign your post with your real name.

Thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Please comply with the forum rule and sign your post with your real name.

I dont think this rule applys to this thread Maarten.  To my understanding this rule only applys to the PMDG forum's 

I dont think this rule applys to this thread Maarten.  To my understanding this rule only applys to the PMDG forum's 

Hi Elaine,

I am the developer of SimLauncherX and this is my forum. The forum rule, and the reason why, is clearly stated here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/454646-forum-rule-sign-your-post/

thanks, Maarten

My apologies Maarten, i didn't know that,  i'm half asleep this morning.  

Maarten,  To a new member (or thicko like me)  would this Information (developer of SimLauncherX)  benefit more in your Signature   

I recently installed SiimLauncherX and I had to install it on both the client and server because I wanted to use it in a network situation.

This seems a bit redundant, as no other networked application I have requires this.  I'm hoping that the server copy can be deleted once the database is built, but didnt' want to without checking first.

I undertand why the initial might need this because the server is were the FSX scenery, etc. files exists.  However, Plan-G does essentially the same thing and does it across the network without a second copy of Plan-G installed.

I admit that I have just started playing with the program and it looks pretty impressive, but I'm the type who aims for as few files on his machine. as possible. :-)

BTW, I'm not knocking the product.  I've had a chance to play with it a bit and so far it's very impressive and I can see myselft incorporating it in my simming.   My concerns are more of one regarding extraneous data in the registry, etc.

Thanks..

Ernest Pergrem

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ernest,

Thanks for complying with the forum rule.

You can uninstall SimLauncherX on the server once the database has been created and transferred to the client. If you do so, you have to reinstall SLX on the server every time you need to update the database if you have installed new scenery or new aircraft. If you uninstall SLX on the server, you will not be able to run SlxServer. SlxServer is used to:

1. launch the simulator from the client
  2. start launch entries that need to run on the server
  3. run FTX Central on the server to switch regions
  4. run the FTX control panels from the client
  5. save a flight plan as requested flight plan on the client
  6. process the simulator flight plan on the client
  7. perform FPS monitoring on the client

SimLauncherX is not using gigabytes of disk space, so I wouldn't bother uninstalling it on the server.

Creating a database on the client is really not a good idea because all of the scenery .bgl files and all of the aircraft.cfg files would have to travel across the network to be processed on the client and that will take ages. Apart from that, paths to scenery folders (as entered in the scenery.cfg file) and paths to aircraft folders (as entered in the fsx/prepar3d.cfg file) are often absolute paths and cannot be resolved on the client unless all of these paths are shared and SlxServer is running to translate those absolute paths on the server to a [server name]\\[share name]\[path]\[file name] format that can be used on the client: a recipe for a support night mare. That's why you cannot create a database on a client.

I do not understand you remark about extraneous data in the registry.

Maarten

I do not understand you remark about extraneous data in the registry.

Maarten

Thanks for the explanation.

It really has to do with the number of registry entries that a program creates when it is installed and the number that are left behind when it's uninstalled.

My philosophy being that the fewer that are created on the front end, the less that remain on the back end.

So, a program not installed = 0.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Hi Ernie,

Suppose SimLauncherX would leave behind some traces in the registry when it is uninstalled, what good would uninstalling do then? I'm using InstallShield to build the installer. InstallShield is a very well known and a widely used tool to build msi based installers. I have no influence on what the uninstaller might leave behind: msi is built into Windows.

thanks, Maarten

Hi,

I am not sure if uninstalling the Server version is a good idea at all. First, you have to rebuild the database at least from time to time after installing new sceneries/aircraft. Second, the local version has some very powerful functions like performance diagrams which, perhaps, might not be obvious at first glance. Third, SimLauncher is slightly over 100 MB which certainly is not a hard disk hog nowadays.

Just my opinion.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi,

I am not sure if uninstalling the Server version is a good idea at all. First, you have to rebuild the database at least from time to time after installing new sceneries/aircraft. Second, the local version has some very powerful functions like performance diagrams which, perhaps, might not be obvious at first glance. Third, SimLauncher is slightly over 100 MB which certainly is not a hard disk hog nowadays.

Just my opinion.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the insight.  I've barely breeched the surface of SimLauncerX, so I'm looking forward to the goodies you mentioned.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem