Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

KPDX residence

Guest cfh2k3

Just curious how many of us actually live in the Portland, Oregon area?And, How many fly sim in or out of KPDX?If so, What do you usually fly? Pax, Cargo, Mil, GA, etc...?Type aircraft?

Guest cw1011

I do! The timing of this is perfect. I think it would be great to have a regional AVSIM chapter here in Portland - get together for beers occasionally, network, lan party. I think it would be great fun. What do others think?In real life I am a frequent Alaska/Horizon Air passenger. In sim life I drive the PMDG 73x series out of here a lot, and do a lot of small field flying with the Flight1 Conquest.

Guest Leafhopper

I used to live in Troutdale and then Beaverton, and now on the coast in Otis, outside of Lincoln City. I Fly in and out of Hillsboro mostly, and KPDX and Troutdale some. It would be nice to get an inventory of Oregon Sim-aholics though. Maybe have something on once a year basis for the state or ?

I live in Mt. Tabor (East Portland) and fly out of Portland-Troutdale in real life. I usually base flights out of there in FS as well, because I'm a student pilot and it helps me work on some things I'm having trouble with. FS was a HUGE help in helping me get to know the area from the air, especially with Justin's FSG West Coast mesh and Ultimate Terrain USA. They're a knockout combo in my book.Oh yes, and I'd be interested in the idea of getting together now and then here as well.thanks,

Hi all,I live in Beaverton not far from Portland-Hillsboro and fly out of both KHIO and 7S3 (Stark's Twin Oaks) in real life as well as in the sim. You might catch me sometime at the EAA pancake breakfast every first Saturday of the month at Stark's Twin Oaks although I don't know if time will allow me to make it the rest of this year. Do have to get my BFR before the end of November though.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

That's where my fs starts at flight craft. I live in Vancouver, WA but work at the post office at the airport KPDX.

John K

I flew into KHIO for my real-world 250nm-xc back in March of 2004. Fun times. I'm still waiting for a good representation of the airport in FS2004 including the "fuel 'shroom". Ah. Flew it in N113ND, I'll miss that plane. Our flight school sould her to another Washington area flight school, but I don't remember which.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest PDX Bailey

Maybe from my call sign you can figure out where I live. Usually fly GA in and out of Troutdale. Prefer the Conquest 441 and Aeroworx King Air. I am not a real-world pilot, as I rely on the escape key if things get really bad in flight.My dad used to work as a mechanic on a B-17 at Troutdale when I was a young child and I just developed a love for the environment. I do know that from reading other threads, there are at least a few other flight simmers that live in the Portland area.

Hi Everyone,I live in Vancouver Wa and work in the World Trade Center in Downtown Portland. I fly out of Pearson and Grove mainly and make frequent flights up the gorge using Holgers wonderful CR Gorge package. I also like taking my Aerosoft cub into the Flying M Ranch. I've read that the folks who brought us the payware Rhode Island scenery are hard at work creating PDX too. I'm looking forward to that release for sure. :-)Bill, nice to see you here as well and I'm looking forward to seeing your objects make an appearance in FSCargo!! ;-)Warm Regards,Paul

I live in Portland, southwest around Barbur/Capitol Hwy. Got my PPL in 1990 and co-owned a nice C172 (N24342) that we hangered out at Troutdale (the 'hanger city'). Owned the plane from '92-2000. The guy hangered next to me had a really nice (very nice) C210, he is one of the local WX guys on TV (Matt Zafino). He was the one who told me that the local news anchors are in the 300k a year bracket, opened my eyes, thus when I saw that his aircraft was color matched to his Escalade things clicked.Anyway, picked up my IFR cert and started twin training in a B58P because my job allowed me to fly (meetings, ect) but had actually a better insurance rate if it was done in light twins. So, my company actually picked up the tab for the training (nice deal). But the project that actually required the flying came to an end (over in Burns OR) thus did not need the twin time anymore. Actually the b58 belongs one of our Sentors (Rep) who owns three aircraft (this one was his smallest - his largest jet is over at PDX FlightCraft).Because of my job, flying is still a major part of it. But I dont carry pax on job related flying, so we charter a lot and I almost always fly frontright seat (sometimes at the request of the carter outfit). Been flying over the area quite a bit, from Westwood Construction Co jetranger helio to Platt Electric's C441 out at Hillsboro, great fun.So, I tend to sim out of PDX or TTD most of the time in everything from light single to PMDG737 AS.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Hi all,Just chiming in from So. Oregon. I live about 12 miles west of Jacksonville and about 18 miles west of Medford (KMFR). I like to fly GA out of MFR and usually fly the jets out of PDX. Anyone else down south here?

I live in the SE Portland area. I am not a real pilot but sim out of Troutdale. I also fly for Cardinal Air out of PANC.Pat Callaghan

Pat Callaghan
AMD FX-8350 4.0ghz. Asus M5A97 MB
16gig Crucial DDR3 ram, Radeon HD-7970 Video
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

We moved to Yachats,Or from Yakima,Wa two years ago. Son Gene and I both like flying out of Newport,Eugene and PDX because its close to here. I especially like using real world weather if we have bad weather conditions.Also go between PDX and KSEA a lot. Like just about any of the aircraft depending on the mood I am in. Like the PMDG turboprops,Carenado planes,default Baron and Flight 1 Bonanza and Cessna 172. Especially still use PSS Dash 8. For longer distance I still like PSS Airbus, PMDG 737,747,Level D 767. Older son, Rich is with the FAA in Hillsboro. Real world pilot but not current now. He is just starting to build a home cockpit for MSFS. Just starting my 3rd year of retirement so if I,m not walking on the beach I can usually be found on the computer doing flight simulator. Richard

Guest cfh2k3

>Just curious how many of us actually live in the Portland,>Oregon area?>And, How many fly sim in or out of KPDX?>If so, What do you usually fly? Pax, Cargo, Mil, GA, etc...?>Type aircraft?>CliffThis is great!Very interesting to find out about others in PDX area. Especially real world pilots!I don't have the time, nor the $$ to do the real thing..let alone afford computer equipment like some of you have.Back in 2000 I even took a lower paying job for a short time just to be near aircraft.I was a ramprat at Ameriflight fueling C402's,B99's, Metroliners,Navajos'. Also loading, unloading cargo. Even got to help mechanics.Since I've been interested in flying all of my life but never got to actually fly a plane, it was really cool to be able to climb into each of the B99's each night, sit in the cap't seat, flip on the batt's and check fuel qty..then figure how much to load, then fuel them.Just before that time my son & I were spotting planes at PDX at the north parking area. Met Viktor the Russian ATP there. At the time he was driving cab for Rose City. Said he had 4,000 hrs as ATP. Flew a Yak and a Antonov in Siberia. We drove to Troutdale and there was a guy from Sandy fueling his Mooney.Viktor talked with him..next thing we know he asks if we want to go up for a short flight! That was first time for my son & I in small GA plane. Really cool!Since then, Viktor got his U.S. ATP, flew for Horizon Air, then Ameriflght, then.....we think he missed his folks in Russia and went back. Although he had some really close calls here as he was sent out in very bad weather at times without proper instruments. That may have been part of his decision.So I sit here & fly the computer stuff.Like others, I fly around the Northwest and West Coast usually. Part because of being familiar with the area and part because of time constraints.What planes? Big & small. The more real the better!Recently got the LDS767. Nice!Tried the ATR 72-500 but found that a bit too difficult for me. I can at least do all the needed stuff to get the 67 from cold'n parked to destination cold'n parked again without crashing.Bored yet? Sorry.Don't worry, I'm done.Has anyone fixed 28R ILS in FS2k4?

In response to Don, I'm also in the So. Oregon area. I live 2 mi SE of KMFR. I work with someone that is also a big FS fan (he's originally from Portland). So that makes at least 3 of us in the area. :-) I go to Portland for business once a month, so if a get together is organized, I might be able to attend.It's been at least a year since I flew the sim out of PDX, as I'm mostly checking out different parts of the FS world. Last winter, when it was getting dark early in the PacNW, I was flying in late evening sunsets throughout South America. For the past 3 months I've been touring Europe. As I write this on my laptop, I'm preflighting the PMDG 737 for a flight out of Prague.I'll be in San Diego for the AVSIM conference and looking forward to meeting any of you that will be there.Bruce