Sign in to follow this  
Bunkers

My X-Plane has gone crazy (or is it me?)

I recently installed a certain addon aircraft, and noticed immediately alot of weird readings on my instruments. I had manifold pressure and CHT readings in cold and dark, I had negative altitude readings in the altimeter, the compass was wrong and did not respond during flight, autopilot did not respond to most modes etc.

I thought it was just the addon being bugged or me doing something wrong on startup. Decided to fly something else in the meantime. Then I see that this has happened to ALL my aircraft in XPX. Well all the ones I've tried so far. The errors are different between the aircraft, but all have several systems and instruments not working as normal anymore, and giving obviously faulty readings.

I suspected the addon had changed some settings somewhere that I did not know off, and ended up uninstalling and reinstalling XPX entirely. Only to see that the problems are still there.

What files/settings are there that I dont know of that can result in such issues. Either the addon aircraft has done something or I have done something that causes all this misbehavior. 

HELP...   :Thinking:

I think some of your problems could be explained by X-Planes "failure" option. Check the failure menu and make sure that "all systems are operational" and the "MTBF" is set to not allow random failures.

Deleting and re-installing may not work if certain preference settings files are preserved and then getting read again after you re-install the program.

A quick way to check if an aircraft plugin is causing trouble is to use the enable/disable plugin menu, and simply kill the plugin. But I would think it is VERY unlikely that a plugin is causing X-Plane-wide problems of the sort you describe.

Jan

I recently installed a certain addon aircraft, and noticed immediately alot of weird readings on my instruments. I had manifold pressure and CHT readings in cold and dark, I had negative altitude readings in the altimeter, the compass was wrong and did not respond during flight, autopilot did not respond to most modes etc.

I thought it was just the addon being bugged or me doing something wrong on startup. Decided to fly something else in the meantime. Then I see that this has happened to ALL my aircraft in XPX. Well all the ones I've tried so far. The errors are different between the aircraft, but all have several systems and instruments not working as normal anymore, and giving obviously faulty readings.

I suspected the addon had changed some settings somewhere that I did not know off, and ended up uninstalling and reinstalling XPX entirely. Only to see that the problems are still there.

What files/settings are there that I dont know of that can result in such issues. Either the addon aircraft has done something or I have done something that causes all this misbehavior. 

HELP...   :Thinking:

Have you made changes to your C: drive? Do you have Microsoft C++ 2010 Redistributable installed?

I think some of your problems could be explained by X-Planes "failure" option. Check the failure menu and make sure that "all systems are operational" and the "MTBF" is set to not allow random failures.

Ok thx for the suggestions, will check those settings asap.

Have you made changes to your C: drive? Do you have Microsoft C++ 2010 Redistributable installed?

I have something called "Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable". Is that it?

Ok thx for the suggestions, will check those settings asap.

I have something called "Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable". Is that it?

Try installing Microsoft C++ 2010 Redistributable and fire up XPX. I reinstalled Windows 8 a couple of days ago and was getting the same weirdness as you. This fixed it for me.

My failures were set to off, all settings were green. Not sure where the "MTBF" setting is.

Try installing Microsoft C++ 2010 Redistributable and fire up XPX. I reinstalled Windows 8 a couple of days ago and was getting the same weirdness as you. This fixed it for me.

I can't install it as it detects that I have the newer version already installed.

The MTBF setting stands for "mean time between failures" and is a measure of how often stuff breaks (the shorter the time, the more often it breaks". It appears when you check the "allow random failures" checkbox, but I think that might not be your problem...

If all else fails, make sure to ask for help/let them know here:

http://www.x-plane.com/support/landing/

Good luck!

Jan

The MTBF setting stands for "mean time between failures" and is a measure of how often stuff breaks (the shorter the time, the more often it breaks". It appears when you check the "allow random failures" checkbox, but I think that might not be your problem...

If all else fails, make sure to ask for help/let them know here:

http://www.x-plane.com/support/landing/

Good luck!

Jan

Thx for your replies and suggestions, I've made some progress so all is not lost  :smile:

I just noticed my custom views for all my aircraft were saved even though I deleted and reinstalled XPX (and removed all remaining files in main folder manually). In what folder are the files that saves this information? 

EDIT: ...but I just reinstalled the aircraft folders from a backup, so I guess they were there. Nevermind  :rolleyes: