Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

FSX and Windows 10?

Hi,

Normally I am a believer of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" saying.  However, I am constantly prompted to upgrade to Win 10 from my current Win 7 - 64bit system. What's more, now the message is that my system has been tested or evaluated and is ready for the upgrade. Should I make the move and will FSX run any better? Currently I am satisfactory with FSX performance but nothing spectacular, and would say my system is adequate for FSX with a medium grade system.  Thanks.  Tom

Being a former Windows 7/64 user also, I decided to see what would happen if I moved to Windows 10. All I can say is it was pretty uneventful. FSX and P3D run just as well under 10 as they do using 7 for me. No issues at all so far, I really don't miss 7 at all.    

• Upvote 1

-- tazz

Hi,

Normally I am a believer of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" saying.  However, I am constantly prompted to upgrade to Win 10 from my current Win 7 - 64bit system. What's more, now the message is that my system has been tested or evaluated and is ready for the upgrade. Should I make the move and will FSX run any better? Currently I am satisfactory with FSX performance but nothing spectacular, and would say my system is adequate for FSX with a medium grade system.  Thanks.  Tom

Remember that after you upgrade, your entire W7 installation will be kept as a backup for 30 days, should you want to go back. There's no risk, to be honest.

Hi Tom

I'm running a three-year old Pentium 2.7 GHz and an NVidia GT520 so its not a high spec PC by any measure. I upgraded to Win10, refreshed all my drivers (really important that you do that) and everything worked from the start. I run FSX:SE and it doesn't crash or stutter. I'm running with the same settings which I had with Win7.

My experience has been only positive. I'm past the reversion date and I'm committed to Win10 now and don't regret it.

Pain-free and only positive for me.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Hey guys I am sitting on the fence too and it is really great to hear some positive feedback about upgrading to Windows 10 and FSX.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Clark

Not only is Windows 10 working great for FSX and P3D.  I no longer have issues with joystick dropping off line.. Everything is working great

Larry

went for free win10 from win7, no issues with fsx and associated sw (addons like rxp gns, htr module for helis, fsrecorder, etc.) and hw (ch control mgr, tm hotas cougar, trackir).  

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I'm having issues with W10 and my P-2-P network. I run ASN on an old 32 bit PC that I upgraded to W10 first, and all was fine. I've recently upgraded my 64bit FSX:SE machine to W10 and the network I used to have in Win 7 (and for a while Win 7 to Win 10) has now gone wobbly ( a technical term when you don't know w_t_f is going wrong). So if you're (anybody) in a networked configuration I'd hang fire for a while.

Would appreciate instructions how to update to Windows 10.

Running FSX on W7, 64-bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-2700K , CPU 3,50 GH2,

8.00 GB Ram ,Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB, GDDRS 256 bit memory, Thrustmaster T.16000M.

Do I have to remove all Addons, FSX and then reinstall ?

Thanks, Jorog

Would appreciate instructions how to update to Windows 10.

Running FSX on W7, 64-bit Home Premium, Intel Core i7-2700K , CPU 3,50 GH2,

8.00 GB Ram ,Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB, GDDRS 256 bit memory, Thrustmaster T.16000M.

Do I have to remove all Addons, FSX and then reinstall ?

Thanks, Jorog

You don’t need to uninstall anything.

Just click “Upgrade now” if you have the “Get Windows 10” icon in your taskbar, if not, download this tool and click “Upgrade this PC”: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've been back and forth with this a few times over the past week or so;

• Was on W7 and took the free update to W10.
  • Not convinced on W10 at all (at least via the update route) as my mouse kept freezing periodically and initially I couldn't get DSR working either.
  • Create a W10 USB boot memory stick for a fresh install. Better but still not that impressed, so decided to go back to W7 (still have the DVD). So going through that at the moment.

A quick thing to note - if you want to remove the rather annoying 'Get Windows 10' message that sits in your system tray then uninstall Windows Update KB3035583.

I took the plunge this week. I see nothing at all being a major problem. A few little anomalies at first, butt very stable now.

Upgraded from Vista64. Been using my PC a lot getting ready for a large presentation; Excel, Word, PowerPoint, PaintShopPro, OCR software, lots of scanning/printing, video editing, sound editing, VMWare. No major issues.

No video/dvd player included in Win10 was a surprise.

I do notice Win10 is slower and hesitates in some tasks.

Boot up is VERY fast. Shut down is slower than before.

I don't care for the huge tablet/phone biased UI and menus, I can see Classic Shell going on soon.

Love all the new keyboard shortcuts.

MS data mining and spying, yeah sucks but can be turned off for those that really want it private.

FSX was crashing but after adding in some addons, it seems ok so far for the little I tested.

Thumbs up from me.

Just wanted to update.

After using Win10 for a few weeks now with a medium addon loaded FSX, it definitely is not as stable or glitch-free as my old super heavy addon loaded FSX Vista64 setup.

Win10 requires me to run in admin mode and some addon .exe's require compatibility mode. It seems to depend on how things get loaded. Often times, the first startup of FSX has a glitch (usually involving EZDok or Accu-Feel), I'll quit, restart FSX a 2nd time and then all is well.

I enjoy the new features and stability of Win10 in Win10 but the game compatibility of Win10 definitely needs work. Many of my 150 games loaded have had difficulties running well.