Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

P3d 3.1 before year end

Technologically speaking as far as I can see there is now no argument in favour of restricting end users to the use of only one set of autogen definitions. There would however be a value potentially to restricting that use if you wanted to tie users into your, and only your, scenery products?

LOL! What could you possibly be suggesting here, Kevin? :lol: On a side note, I had a post removed on the ORBx forum for daring to suggest that users can do "what the hell they like" with AFD files on their own PCs.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Question - jumping from FS9 to P3D - do you have to pay for every incremental upgrade in P3D or just the major ones ? Do you have to buy the full product each time or is the a discount for previous purchases ???

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

No, you only pay for  full versions, not incremental versions

Question - jumping from FS9 to P3D - do you have to pay for every incremental upgrade in P3D or just the major ones ?

Just the major versions i.e. 2.x, 3.x, 4.x 

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

How is the 3.1 update process going.  Is the incremental patch smooth process over existing install.  I would hate to reinstall everything all over again.

Thanks

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Rob,

How is the 3.1 update process going.  Is the incremental patch smooth process over existing install.  I would hate to reinstall everything all over again.

Would you mind looking up one of the very early posts in this thread by Rob on this very question?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

LOL! What could you possibly be suggesting here, Kevin? :lol: On a side note, I had a post removed on the ORBx forum for daring to suggest that users can do "what the hell they like" with AFD files on their own PCs.....

Chris, I see what you meant but no I wasnt going in that direction specifically. Forgive me, I simply meant generically that certain exclusive technologies or ways of implementing something can allow companies to engage in anti-competitive practices eapecially where they are a) very successful and/or b) have some market dominance. Orbx may theoretically have such potential opportunities but so would a number of other players in our hobby. On orbx, a great deal of their scenery is excellent quality, even if for a variety of reasons some of it doesnt appeal to me personally.

Any developers focus is understandably going to be around supporting their customers nothing wrong with that! My point is now devs dont have to make that choice, the tech is there to support openness :) In this example even small players can mess with autogen and we can all benefit from their efforts without them having to engage in cumbersome probably costly and most likely legal negotiations to somehow get their agn definitions into the one restricted set the sim uses! All everyone has to do is embrace the new ways forward. Lots of new things dont get adopted as quickly as we'd like though. Given the lukewarm reactions of devs to the changes in architecture LM introduced in v3, I just dont think that warm embrace will come very soon, but I'd love to be wrong on that!!

cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Not true. Hybrid mode will give you a different appearance in the full FTX region with some objects missing compared to activating the region. And Hybrid mode will kill your VAS. Doesn't work if you fly complex aircraft add-ons. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you think it is...

Sorry you are having strange issues, I am experiencing none of these problems, and use many complex aircraft - primarily the PMDG 737, but also the Majestic Dash 8, A2A offerings etc,etc, and my ORBX environment is very "loaded up" with lots of full fat regions, and with all the Global products installed running in "Hybrid" mode - FTX Central 2.0 has  been a great tool for keeping everything up to date as well  - not an ORBX sycophant by any stretch, but must give credit where it is due, their products have not posed any unreasonable issues for me - YMMV...

Sorry you are having strange issues

No, I don't have any strange issues, I just know what I'm talking about.

Go to post number 8 in the following thread. Rob Newman from Orbx explains what the implication of hybrid mode is. Among other things he says "Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region."

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101593-the-hybrid-question/

Don't pretend to be an expert if you are not.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Carlo does know what he is talking about.  :smile: I was going to explain but he link is perfect.

Them people on there forums love filling your screen with order # even with the new rules  :rolleyes:

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Carlo does know what he is talking about.  :smile: I was going to explain but he link is perfect.

Them people on there forums love filling your screen with order # even with the new rules  :rolleyes:

Thanks, David! ;-)

I don't want to get into any discussion here, I just did not want to leave that false information of "Just put it in hybrid mode and you don't need to worry about FTX Central" uncommented.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Water animation is not fine Rob. For 99% of the time we fly above 5000 feet... Yeah.. if there is sun reflections its not bad... look at the other end (above 5K feet)..where there is no sun reflections.. its TOTALLY DEAD. Its as bad as FS9 water.

From 2.5 to V3.. The major value added was VAS which is big

Now I hope they get this done.

I wish they would  FIX this.,.. water animation to be at least as good as it was in FSX.

I know people don't want to hear it, but you can not see waves moving in a moving airplane at higher altitudes. You just can't perceive it. I'm a pilot so I'm not just blowing hot air about that. 

But the easiest way to fix this is to use a REX water animation that has baked in movement. I did that and now my water looks fairly close to what FSX was. Typical advice is to not do that because P3D has it's own dynamic movment, but trust me. Just try it. 

No, I don't have any strange issues, I just know what I'm talking about.

Go to post number 8 in the following thread. Rob Newman from Orbx explains what the implication of hybrid mode is. Among other things he says "Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region."

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101593-the-hybrid-question/

Don't pretend to be an expert if you are not.

I never claimed to be an expert, so don't start stuffing words into my mouth - I am perfectly willing to accept that our definitions of "unreasonable issues" is just going to be different, so if these vagaries in rendering really irritate you, well then they do, but I would be willing to bet that for 99.99% of folks, the basically set it and forget it nature of Hybrid mode more than meets their needs. I bet you are a blast at parties... 

I never claimed to be an expert, so don't start stuffing words into my mouth - I am perfectly willing to accept that our definitions of "unreasonable issues" is just going to be different, so if these vagaries in rendering really irritate you, well then they do, but I would be willing to bet that for 99.99% of folks, the basically set it and forget it nature of Hybrid mode more than meets their needs. I bet you are a blast at parties... 

:rolleyes:

Just to get things back on track here: Orbx has released a new installer with P3Dv3 support for KSTS Sonoma County...

4.x 

Cheers, Rob.

4.x coming according to Rob! 

Sorry, i'm just a little bored.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI