Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

P3d 3.1 before year end

Technologically speaking as far as I can see there is now no argument in favour of restricting end users to the use of only one set of autogen definitions. There would however be a value potentially to restricting that use if you wanted to tie users into your, and only your, scenery products?

LOL! What could you possibly be suggesting here, Kevin? :lol: On a side note, I had a post removed on the ORBx forum for daring to suggest that users can do "what the hell they like" with AFD files on their own PCs.....

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Question - jumping from FS9 to P3D - do you have to pay for every incremental upgrade in P3D or just the major ones ? Do you have to buy the full product each time or is the a discount for previous purchases ???

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

No, you only pay for  full versions, not incremental versions

Question - jumping from FS9 to P3D - do you have to pay for every incremental upgrade in P3D or just the major ones ?

Just the major versions i.e. 2.x, 3.x, 4.x 

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

How is the 3.1 update process going.  Is the incremental patch smooth process over existing install.  I would hate to reinstall everything all over again.

Thanks

Rob,

How is the 3.1 update process going.  Is the incremental patch smooth process over existing install.  I would hate to reinstall everything all over again.

Would you mind looking up one of the very early posts in this thread by Rob on this very question?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

LOL! What could you possibly be suggesting here, Kevin? :lol: On a side note, I had a post removed on the ORBx forum for daring to suggest that users can do "what the hell they like" with AFD files on their own PCs.....

Chris, I see what you meant but no I wasnt going in that direction specifically. Forgive me, I simply meant generically that certain exclusive technologies or ways of implementing something can allow companies to engage in anti-competitive practices eapecially where they are a) very successful and/or b) have some market dominance. Orbx may theoretically have such potential opportunities but so would a number of other players in our hobby. On orbx, a great deal of their scenery is excellent quality, even if for a variety of reasons some of it doesnt appeal to me personally.

Any developers focus is understandably going to be around supporting their customers nothing wrong with that! My point is now devs dont have to make that choice, the tech is there to support openness :) In this example even small players can mess with autogen and we can all benefit from their efforts without them having to engage in cumbersome probably costly and most likely legal negotiations to somehow get their agn definitions into the one restricted set the sim uses! All everyone has to do is embrace the new ways forward. Lots of new things dont get adopted as quickly as we'd like though. Given the lukewarm reactions of devs to the changes in architecture LM introduced in v3, I just dont think that warm embrace will come very soon, but I'd love to be wrong on that!!

cheers K

Not true. Hybrid mode will give you a different appearance in the full FTX region with some objects missing compared to activating the region. And Hybrid mode will kill your VAS. Doesn't work if you fly complex aircraft add-ons. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as you think it is...

Sorry you are having strange issues, I am experiencing none of these problems, and use many complex aircraft - primarily the PMDG 737, but also the Majestic Dash 8, A2A offerings etc,etc, and my ORBX environment is very "loaded up" with lots of full fat regions, and with all the Global products installed running in "Hybrid" mode - FTX Central 2.0 has  been a great tool for keeping everything up to date as well  - not an ORBX sycophant by any stretch, but must give credit where it is due, their products have not posed any unreasonable issues for me - YMMV...

Sorry you are having strange issues

No, I don't have any strange issues, I just know what I'm talking about.

Go to post number 8 in the following thread. Rob Newman from Orbx explains what the implication of hybrid mode is. Among other things he says "Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region."

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101593-the-hybrid-question/

Don't pretend to be an expert if you are not.

Carlo does know what he is talking about.  :smile: I was going to explain but he link is perfect.

Them people on there forums love filling your screen with order # even with the new rules  :rolleyes:

Carlo does know what he is talking about.  :smile: I was going to explain but he link is perfect.

Them people on there forums love filling your screen with order # even with the new rules  :rolleyes:

Thanks, David! ;-)

I don't want to get into any discussion here, I just did not want to leave that false information of "Just put it in hybrid mode and you don't need to worry about FTX Central" uncommented.

Water animation is not fine Rob. For 99% of the time we fly above 5000 feet... Yeah.. if there is sun reflections its not bad... look at the other end (above 5K feet)..where there is no sun reflections.. its TOTALLY DEAD. Its as bad as FS9 water.

From 2.5 to V3.. The major value added was VAS which is big

Now I hope they get this done.

I wish they would  FIX this.,.. water animation to be at least as good as it was in FSX.

I know people don't want to hear it, but you can not see waves moving in a moving airplane at higher altitudes. You just can't perceive it. I'm a pilot so I'm not just blowing hot air about that. 

But the easiest way to fix this is to use a REX water animation that has baked in movement. I did that and now my water looks fairly close to what FSX was. Typical advice is to not do that because P3D has it's own dynamic movment, but trust me. Just try it. 

No, I don't have any strange issues, I just know what I'm talking about.

Go to post number 8 in the following thread. Rob Newman from Orbx explains what the implication of hybrid mode is. Among other things he says "Setting FTX Central to GLOBAL WITH hybrid mode checked means you will see the PNW full region scenery with a few very small innacuracies... roof colors will be different (and not typical of the region), and some terrain effects will be different (things like how steep a cliff should be before becoming a rock face etc), again, not 100% typical of the PNW region."

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101593-the-hybrid-question/

Don't pretend to be an expert if you are not.

I never claimed to be an expert, so don't start stuffing words into my mouth - I am perfectly willing to accept that our definitions of "unreasonable issues" is just going to be different, so if these vagaries in rendering really irritate you, well then they do, but I would be willing to bet that for 99.99% of folks, the basically set it and forget it nature of Hybrid mode more than meets their needs. I bet you are a blast at parties... 

I never claimed to be an expert, so don't start stuffing words into my mouth - I am perfectly willing to accept that our definitions of "unreasonable issues" is just going to be different, so if these vagaries in rendering really irritate you, well then they do, but I would be willing to bet that for 99.99% of folks, the basically set it and forget it nature of Hybrid mode more than meets their needs. I bet you are a blast at parties... 

:rolleyes:

Just to get things back on track here: Orbx has released a new installer with P3Dv3 support for KSTS Sonoma County...

4.x 

Cheers, Rob.

4.x coming according to Rob! 

Sorry, i'm just a little bored.

4.x coming according to Rob! 

Sorry, i'm just a little bored.

Actually I think the suggestion of 4.x in the long term plan was obtain via a tiny text segment from an LM post on their public forum many many months ago ... or maybe it was from another interview source, don't recall.  Either way, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a 4.x given LM P3D dev team growth and history of continued updates.  But I'm NOT confirming or denying the existence of 4.x ... just have to wait and see.

Just to get things back on track here: Orbx has released a new installer with P3Dv3 support for KSTS Sonoma County...

Carlo, back on track would NOT be a discussion of Orbx ... it would be a discussion of "v3.1 before year end" per OP and speculation of what will be in V3.1 and how it will impact existing installs.

I can't comment on V3.1 ... but heck, you all only have a few weeks to wait and you'll find out.

Cheers, Rob. 

I think it should be reasonably obvious that resolving controller issues will be a key feature of the 3.1 update. I can fly in P3D v3, but my joystick still has a significant left bias, and it seems that plenty of other users have controller problems.

I agree 100%.  Have not been able to fly 3.0 because of the controller problems.  How did this get out of beta with all the problems?

" How did this get out of beta with all the problems?"

My setup has 4 different controllers for X and Y ( not used all at once) Leo Bodner, Logiteck pro extreme, saitek Yoke , Thrustmaster Hotas, on Win 7 and 10, p3d since V1 to V3 , never had a problem...

Jorge

I can't comment on V3.1 ... but heck, you all only have a few weeks to wait and you'll find out.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

forgive us we´re just kids pretending to be grown ups ;)

Speaking of controller probs, never had them in v2.x nor did i have ´em in v3. Am using FSUIPC+LINDA for all my controllers (GA flying: Saitek Cessna yoke + throttle quadrant, fighter jet ops: TM Warthog HOTAS system, Heli ops: Komodo Sim cyclic+collektive+pedals).

Just an opinion...

I bought P3D early on;  version 1.x.  $200 for Pro and it was completely unusable.  CTDs, OS lockups  ...and all with a stock install.  2.x was only slightly better, but FSX (even with a shovel load of add-ons) was solid as a rock in comparison.  To date, I had only spent time in P3D trying to get things to work.  Maybe an hour of frustrating flight time and dozens trying to get off the ground.

I then hear of version 3.  But wait, that will be another $200.  I hemmed and hawed, but heard good things about v3.  In the end, I gave in.  So far, I have actually made it into the air with v3 and enjoy what I see.  It's a whole new world.  It is so fluid, I can actually get a bit dizzy gazing at the 48" display.  That never happened in FSX.  I've installed three addon aircraft and that's it.  It flies beautifully.  I tried going back to FSX, but the immersion was gone.  It was no longer a fluid world.  True, P3D was stock scenery (which looked great), but I also had FSX:SE with stock scenery.  P3D v3 wins.  The fluid flights in P3D sealed the deal.

The entire reason for v3.1 is because LM found and (hoping, hoping) fixed some problems.  A few very annoying warts with controllers, but let's see what 3.1 holds.  There is only one area that FSX beats P3D and that's water.  P3D photos of water just aren't right  ...yet.

All-in-all, I think LM did incredible work bringing our ancient beloved FS engine back to life.  FSX, as amazing as it is/was, can only hold up so long.  I'm hopeful that LM will take care of the controller/input and 3rd party hardware issues first.  If we get that part stabilized in 3.1, I'll be happy until the next update.  Overall, great job LM.

Just an FYI.  I am not wanting to be a Negative Nellie.  I just wish there was an easier pathway to upgrades.

You are not a negative Nellie, if you are it is against the developers as LM is doing everything to make that possible , I have some add-ons installed as per the SDK and if required I could reinstalling them in a new P3D just by executing a batch file.

Jorge

Can't wait to see what improvements we'll see. Really hoping for 64-bit.

I'm a newbie and have been loving P3D since I got it Dec 11.  Is 64-bit definitely in their plans?

Hard to say really... LM does not share with us about future plans. Maybe Rob know sth, but he cannot say anything, because of NDA I suppose.