Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Unpausing FS9 reduces frame rates

Here is a free process monitor that is very complete.:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Microsoft acquired sysinternals a few years ago. It will show all processes running. You will see quite a few of he same name but the parameters that call them are shown by hovering the mouse over the process name. Each process line shows the CPU percent and other data. Mini dialog windows on the bottom show the physical ram used and other helpful data. I just use the upper pane. Mini graphs on the top show various historical states and overing the mouse over them shows the process using the resources at that moment.

It is a single .exe file that opens a grid like presentation in its own windows that you can alt-tab to out of FS.

You can kill or restart a process but be very careful with that as you can hang the pc.

Set FS not to pause on task switch (not to pause when making the focus on another window). If you have a dual monitor put that app on one screen. Polling can be set but by default it probes once per second.

This will show you the resource changes if any as you unpause FS. Play with it carefully.

Thanks - that is what I already use in fact, along with Process Monitor, but I don't have the latest version, so will download it. :smile:

That said, the 'problem' (it is only a problem when the fps dips to around 10, as I say) seems to be going away of its own accord.. I am at FlyTampa's LGAV at the moment in a PMDG &47-400 with fps paused 59-60 and about 50-52 unpaused...

However....  I'm suffering from BSODs (BSsOD rather!) so am concentrating on that - not sure I am getting anywhere though. All a bit depressing!

I've been having problems with BSODs (BSsOD??) too, so all in all...

This in itself points to either issues with drivers, or some hardware about to pack-up, unless it's C: drive running low on available space.

When it does, all sorts of strange things start happening, as Windows struggles to swap files to it. Something that may not be happening when the sim is paused.

Should have twice the amount of RAM installed, free space on C: drive.

I am pretty sure it's software related (the minidumps point to that)... but 0x44 errors seem to be hard to pin down.

Plenty of space on the C drive. With 16GBs RAM, my swap file is hardly ever used (according to task manager). Always at 0% when I log its usage.

As long as you have 20fps, you are very well and the movingpicture is still excellent. It makes no sense to set the fps as high as you mention, there is almost no distinguishable difference between 60 or 40fps and 20fps. You better start and set fps at 20 instead of 60, so there is always power left for other

Greetz

Jive1

Well, I don't actually agree. The difference in smoothness (panning views) between 20fps and 60fps is apparent to me, though on the other hand I am more than happy with anything over and above 20fps!

This PC has plenty of resources and to be honest nothing else, I am pretty sure, is going to benefit from my reducing the 60fps cap.

Opinion on this is very divided though, as seen from Googling the subject! :smile:

I tested with Scansim Billund and PMDG747, and gave me on a certain view 25 fps.

Stayed the same, paused of unpaused.

There was no difference. (older type i5 cpu)

Something is wrong on your PC I think. Dont know what.

I think there was something going on - at the moment, flying a PA a330, I get my locked 60fps on paused, and the same when I unpause! A big difference from the other day.

Still, I will monitor what happens, as I was originally going from 60fps to 10fps when I unpaused FS9...

I often get good frame rates - but just loaded up FS9 at EGLL in a PMDG747-400, with cloudy sky, and fps was 10-15. It got better over the next few minutes, up to 20-25fps. Something is using the CPU I guess (an Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz; + 16GBs RAM).

However, I know that that is low for my PC. I restarted my PC and tried again, loading all my peripheral programmes one by one too (FDC, PFE, AS6.5, etc.etc.). This time I got a much better fps immediately, 45-50fps with the same parameters. It is not clear from Task manager what is happening. I have now installed Process Lasso, as was suggested earlier, to see what, if any, difference I might see.

I have also always (always!) had a problem, on all my PCs ever since I started with FS2000, with short periods (between 4 and 10 seconds) when frame rates drop to virtually zero, then going back again to 50+. Happens every 15-20 minutes. I have come to accept this as something I'll never get to the bottom of - Process Monitor never gave any indication of the cause. Maybe Process Lasso will help in this.

Otherwise, I am going to try to set up Process Monitor as a remote process, so that I can monitor processes on my FS PC from a different one. So far, I haven't suceeded in getting it to work, but I'll persevere...

Maybe lock fps at 25 and see if you drop to 10-15 anywhere as you are while you are locking at 60fps? Just a suggestion.

Mark Daniels

If you are using Win7 take a look at the Processes tab, in the Windows Task Manager. 

Sort the view by CPU, and Memory, and see if there's anything which slows down your machine.

I had a problem with svchost.exe using 3/4(!) of my RAM. I looked it up, and it turned out to be a problem with Windows Update.

So under the Services, i had to disable "wuauserv" and magically my PC could take a breath again.

Also, at a max lock to 30. You'll never get anything stable over that at EGLL, or JFK. Even on a NASA server-PC. FS9 is poorly optimised for modern hardware and multi core CPUs.

Hi. I could try locking the fps at 30 instead of 60. But it's not a resources problem, as I always have at least 10GBs of free physical memory out of the 16GBs installed. My problem at the moment is OoM errors, but that's for a different thread!

Try the locked at 30, 25 would be even better and recommended. See if fps drop to any low numbers like you had before and see what happens with the OOM's. Once this is done you can start tracking where your problems are coming from. Let us know the results but give it time and test properly. Don't mess with anything else in the meantime.

Mark Daniels