Sign in to follow this  
sjed

I5-6600k or I7-4790k for FSX

I'm looking at upgrading to either the 4790k or the newer 6600k. Which would be better for FSX. I'm upgrading from a I5-3570K and Nvidia 660, which have been pretty good but it's time for an upgrade.

SJED

Go with the new Skylake i7-6700k

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

It's OK. It's a newer generation I5 to an older generation I7 so it's allowed.

SJED

I thought I heard that the hyperthreading on the I7 doesn't really serve FSX well or is that old thinking. I don't really want to pay for something I'm not going to be using and FSX is the only thing I would need that much computing power for.

SJED

You are aware that the Skylake chip will require DDR4 and a new motherboard? 

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

Yes, I am aware of that. I would have to get a new motherboard for the 4790k also but could use my DDR3 memory.

SJED

Go for Skylake I say. There's more to the newer platform than just CPU IPC.

I would always favour the newer platform if funds allowed.

I went for the Asus Z170-A, cheap and capable motherboard.

For RAM I went for Ripjaw V... desighned for Skylake.

• Upvote 1

Go for Skylake I say. There's more to the newer platform than just CPU IPC.

I would always favour the newer platform if funds allowed.

I went for the Asus Z170-A, cheap and capable motherboard.

For RAM I went for Ripjaw V... desighned for Skylake.

x2

I went for the Gigabyte Gaming 7. Great board, but I wish I would have gone with this Asus board. It would do everything I want it to AND would have saved me some money.

It is comparing last year Air Jordan's to this years neither stand out with features make you latch on to one. Extra threads help with downloading goodies but fps don't make much difference as I don't max out features.

It is comparing last year Air Jordan's to this years neither stand out with features make you latch on to one. I7 Extra threads help with downloading goodies but fps don't make much difference as I don't max out feature on my sims. If i7 4790k is $1200 vs i5 6600k at $1200. I pick the i7 as extra threads are good for Photoshop and zipping files. I have 4790k it's good for lazy people like me don't wanna bother with overclocking.

Skylake does stand out... if you look at the "entire package", everything the new platform brings to the table.

Everybody that's upgraded to Skylake here on Avsin has been delighted with their choice.

I'm looking at putting my first system together in the new year, the Asus Z170-A looks perfect for what I had in mind. How good are the integrated graphics? As I probably won't be able to put in a GPU for a little while, since FSX isn't GPU bound (thinking of popping in a nice skylake i7)

• Upvote 1

Alaister Kay