Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

I'm a P3Dv3 Believer!

I got GEX/UTX and complex aircraft in v3, all my ORBX stuff and GA aircraft in v2.5, FSX for old favorites like the Citation X,....got my cake and eating it too!

Bobsk8, when v3 came out I was very tempted to start a poll as to when you would cave and get it. I would have lost as I was betting one month. The only remaining holdout that I can think of is Webmaximus....and he's bending at the knees.LOL!

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

If I remember correctly, John Venema stated that all Orbx products will port over within the year of V3 release, so that is good news.

I sincerely hope that the FTX UK airfields are done in a lot less time than that.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I got GEX/UTX and complex aircraft in v3, all my ORBX stuff and GA aircraft in v2.5, FSX for old favorites like the Citation X,....got my cake and eating it too!

Bobsk8, when v3 came out I was very tempted to start a poll as to when you would cave and get it. I would have lost as I was betting one month. The only remaining holdout that I can think of is Webmaximus....and he's bending at the knees.LOL!

Ted

Many people on Facebook are still holding out for more installers to be released along with V3.1 I will most likely do the same thing with V 3.1, wait a couple of weeks to see what happens to the early adopters. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Client installer is harmless to any existing V3.0 installation ... it will upgrade to V3.1 painlessly and effortlessly.

With that said, the Content and Scenery msi (installers) is a different matter, that has the potential to clobber a few 3rd party items.  Kinda depends what LM add to or change in those Content/Scenery msi.

For example I had been updating via Client install on my main PC and full wipes on my test PC ... so my test PC had all the current content/scenery installed.  I was NOT getting SpeedTrees in my main FS PC so I had to manually do a compare with my test PC and then copy the necessary files over to my main FS PC ... it was a tad time consuming (took about an hour) but I was successful and I was able to retain ALL my existing third party add-ons on my main FS PC.

So one's decision to wait for V3.1 will primarily be geared around:

1.  Is there aAny newer scenery/content in V3.1 you need?

2.  If yes, do you have the energy to run the process I did above?

So pending your add-on list and how long that might take to re-install vs. the 1 hour or so for the compare route.

Cheers, Rob.

Good post Ryan

Oh its a full reinstall for me (im a little irish thico)   Ah seriously though, i don't mind the reinstall as i know then it will work ok.  The thought of moving and pasting files will not go down well with my anger issues  :smile:

Cant be long now, a  couple of more days and we shall know whats in the goodie list for 3.1 

I'll do a complete reinstall. Really, the time consuming thing is downloading the addons. Installation doesn't take that long. I do the base scenery,FTX Global\Vector, My FTX regions, aircraft and then airports as I need them.

NAX669.png

For those that want to know exactly what an installation is going to do to files before they install it, you can install it to a "sandbox" first, see what happens, and then chose which files to move over, and where.  The one I use is Sandboxie,

For registry changes there is another method, but addons should not be doing any serious registry changes.  

If you're a developer, sandboxing is a great way to understand how many things are done in software by seeing how they are installed.  Also, often when tailing software does not follow best practices as set down by a primary developer it can be used to correct those incompatibilities that emerge.   

I sincerely hope that the FTX UK airfields are done in a lot less time than that.

I looked for the thread where John stated a timeframe and he actually stated within the next few months, so it is better than I originally thought :). Below is an excerpt from one of his comments:

What does this mean for all our products not yet ported to Prepar3D V3?

Good news actually. All our 115 products will have P3Dv3 installers made over the next few months, basically as fast as Ed can compile them!

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I was a huge naysayer when 3.0 came out.  I was miffed about the upgrade cost for what I thought was so little.  I was doubtful about the VAS improvements.  I was doubtful the devs would get on board so quickly and update their products (pretty much free of charge!)... and so on.

I can say I'm heavily flying v3 for now.  While I've still got FSX and v2.5 installed (for beta testing purposes) I rarely touch v2 and occasionally use FSX boxed.  Even poor old XP10 hasn't had much lovin'.

I broke down (sort of lol) and purchased REX4 on the Thanksgiving sale so I'm officially using P3D v3 clouds (was using FEX textures in v2).  I've got many addons installed from 2.5 (Orbx, FSDT, FB, LVFR, Sim720, all my Shez freeware, A2A, Realair (yes the Legacy v3 is coming I promise, piston duke later), I ported the baytower rv7 with GTN mods with success, not to mention using the GTN750 as well....Milviz is getting the helos done and other products soon too!

I did a workout flight tonight on Pilot Edge, which with v2.5 or FSX would have OOMed in about an hour... I basically had my FSDT LAX, Shez LGB (kinda a VAS hog), LVFR KSNA, flew over Sim720 CRQ, and down near LVFR KSAN with the VAS never climbing above 2.5 GB.  I'm not sure how the LM team did it but amazing!

I'm very happy with where P3D is at!

undercast_1.jpg

Congrats.  I too was a skeptic, still am though unlike you.  I am still on 2.5 weighing my options.  You mentioned VAS management much better, but what else? Are you flying stutter free? It must be otherwise you would not be happy.  There are pains going to v3.0, I just am not convinced yet that the benefits worth the efforts for me.

I may look at v3 in the future, but at the very least not until the Legacy update is released, and likely not until the FTX regions have all been converted.

It's hard through, since to be honest, I 'want' for very little in my simming lately as I've been quite happy with what I have.  I barely even spent any money in the recent sales...

Same here, ever since I no longer use NGX, or the 777 I don't have OOM to worry about.  What I care about is trouble free simming.  All the you tuber post have better hardware than me, so I have no idea how much of the improvement can be had on my modest system.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I'm an Nvidia user and have read of many reports that the AA is not so good in P3D.  Is this fixed in V3?  It seems that SGSSAA 4x is needed to fix this issue, but kills performance when there are a lot of clouds.  Is it realistic to think this will get fixed eventually?